• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, bane said:

After all the Marvel movies that have come out their best villain is still..... Loki. meh

DC's is still Zod...

I'm guessing you're limiting that to just Extended Universe films?  Certainly the best villains for both Marvel and DC by far are outside of their recent EU films.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I have little problem with their little "Score Reveal" BS compared to their not actually then posting the reviews (and updated score) to the site by Thursday at 9:00 am.

Every other major release (and some minor releases) are up and running on the site, and they did their "score reveal" nearly 9 hours ago now.

And they can't say this "wasn't screened for critics" because it was -- last night, if somehow they didn't already catch it Monday night.

It makes the stink of the Warner Brothers affiliation stink even more than it already did.  :boo:

15 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

They do now. Check out this morning's "See It/Skip It" re. Justice League on their Facebook page.

Not only do they reveal the RT numbers as of 3:00 pm yesterday, but both hosts review it.

Interesting.  Is this the first film they've reviewed, or have they done it for a while now?

I suppose I'm fine with it as long as they're mixed in equally with all the others.

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

I know why it was done.  But  in today’s world they need to be smarter and realize that the optics on this were going to be bad, especially since the bad vibe that had been simmering by lifting the embargo so late.  Plus, the time for the show was again poor.  By going with a 12 AM EST broadcast at least 60% if not more of the country is going to be asleep.  It is why most media plans on doing major releases based on the east coast, and will make the time 8 or 9 PM EST.

Rotten Tomatoes probably didn't even factor in any risks with this decision, assuming people would be excited to see what their final score and assessment of the movie would be. Now knowing WB has a stake in them (that was news to me), it should have jumped out immediately as a concern.

But knowing WB, it probably remains hands-off like it tries to do with its directors. Yet when it doesn't follow its own value proposition ("we are a director-driven studio") like it did with David Ayer, it backfires.

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But knowing WB, it probably remains hands-off like it tries to do with its directors. Yet when it doesn't follow its own value proposition ("we are a director-driven studio") like it did with David Ayer, it backfires.

The hands off thing does not get any better when an executive dictated that the run time must be under 2 hours for JL.  That type of top down edict will always be seen as studio meddling. It is the editing teams job to put together the most logical cut with the best flow. It makes their job much more difficult when additional (potentially nonsensical) boundaries are placed on them. They already had a very hard job of melding Snyder and Whedon, plus the large amount of reshoots together, now someone comes along and says by the way make it shorter. I feel sorry for them.

Remember the time when you were excited that your favorite comic book heroes were moving on to the big screen and you didn't give a rat's arse about which movie is better and what not?

Yeah.... That's how I feel about this whole DC vs Marvel junk..... I don't care.

1 minute ago, A-DONIS said:

Remember the time when you were excited that your favorite comic book heroes were moving on to the big screen and you didn't give a rat's arse about which movie is better and what not?

I do, but then Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan came along and raised the bar for me.  Thanks to them I do care, but it's not a disqualifying factor.  I saw BvS and will likely see this, although maybe not in the theatre.

4 minutes ago, A-DONIS said:

Yeah.... That's how I feel about this whole DC vs Marvel junk..... I don't care.

That was before the Fantastic Four reboot and Clooney Batman.

Just checking the charts comic books have 5 of the top 9 biggest box offices this year. The quality level is expected to be a lot higher than back when we thought it was cool that Swamp Thing got its own movie. 

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I do, but then Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan came along and raised the bar for me.  Thanks to them I do care, but it's not a disqualifying factor.

I take that back.  There's one film the critical reviews prevented me from ever seeing--the Josh Trank Fantastic Four film.  I've still never seen that, and I have no plans to ever do so.  :eek:  I'm afraid it would be too painful to sit through.  :fear:

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That was before the Fantastic Four reboot and Clooney Batman.

Just checking the charts comic books have 5 of the top 9 biggest box offices this year. The quality level is expected to be a lot higher than back when we thought it was cool that Swamp Thing got its own movie. 

Sorry maybe I'm not an elitists when it comes to comic book movies, but I had ZERO issues with B vs S

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh well. This will be another DC film where the haters will rejoice, the fans will like it and be confused at the hate, and WB will move on with Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman 2.

This will be the end of the hate with Justice League.  Aquaman,Shazam and Wonder Woman 2 will all be a new beginning and will get positive reactions.

WB will stop with Snyder directing their heroes, and Affleck will bow out as Batman. The two big negatives that cause most of this negativaty will be gone. The critics will be happy and it will show in their future reviews with Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman 2.

So in away this Justice League movie will be a ending and a new beginning with the DC Cinematic Universe.

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I take that back.  There's one film the critical reviews prevented me from ever seeing--the Josh Trank Fantastic Four film.  I've still never seen that, and I have no plans to ever do so.  :eek:  I'm afraid it would be too painful to sit through.  :fear:

You and me both. I simply just won't watch it. I love the FF and consider it disrespectful to them if I gave that film one second of my time. 

Is there any scenario that is positive for the movie for holding off posting a number until this late in the game?  Liking DC movie or Marvel movies seems kind of irrelevant when you consider a studio doesn't want the general public to know how bad the word of mouth will be.  Maybe I'm missing it but the whole argument that the company just doesn't want to allow spoilers to get out has been thrown out the window.  It has to come down to initial weekend damage control at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:
23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

You and me both. I simply just won't watch it. I love the FF and consider it disrespectful to them if I gave that film one second of my time. 

It's the only fully-released superhero film I know of where you can truly say it pooped the bed.  Catwoman sucked, but it was a finished film with an aesthetic that you either liked a little or you hated.  The Trank FF film, however, saw him get fired, replaced, and the new director re-shoot huge chunks of the film in what was universally described as an awkward, ill-fitting way.  Had they kept Trank till the end and he had finished the film I would have seen it, but the studio's mis-management of an admittedly bad situation with Trank makes me consider it not even a finished film.  It's just something they screwed up on and chose to release anyway.

Is it just me or does Ezra Miller seem a bit...what's the word????...flamboyantlol.

I like how he, Jason Mamoa, and Gal Gadot promote a movie.  All three seem very genuinely excited.  They need to stop putting Ben Affleck out there:facepalm:.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Batman

Just now, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Is it just me or does Ezra Miller seem a bit...what's the word????...flamboyantlol.

I like how he, Jason Mamoa, and Gal Gadot promote a movie.  They seem very genuinely excited.  They need to stop putting Ben Affleck out there:facepalm:.

He seems like the one not wanting to be out there too long. Just enough for him to share some details, and then he starts to shut down.

Now the new up-in-arms thing is he made a quick joke about the sexual harassment news topic (not that it is a joke - more that the interviewer was wondering why the cast was hoping for more female characters later on). The rest of the cast looked at him like he was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for laughing at himself.