• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I am still pumped to see this movie - and will make my own judgment on it (as I really enjoyed MOS, BvS and WW (not so much Suicide Squad)).

On the plus side if it is not well received perhaps BB28 will drop in price so I can scoop one up :x

I'm with you, I'm looking forward to it.  I'm not buying the critics on this one, I bet the audience( otherwise known as the people that don't count)  score this 75% or better.  Or maybe it is a turd but I'll judge that for myself thank you.

I saw it last night - I thing peoples opinions on this one are going to vary greatly (maybe not as greatly as BVS) - I'm not a big Zack Snyder fan - I felt it was ok but just felt it could have been better

I did think Cyborg was better than I was expecting

13 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:
1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

I am still pumped to see this movie - and will make my own judgment on it (as I really enjoyed MOS, BvS and WW (not so much Suicide Squad)).

On the plus side if it is not well received perhaps BB28 will drop in price so I can scoop one up :x

I'm with you, I'm looking forward to it.  I'm not buying the critics on this one, I bet the audience( otherwise known as the people that don't count)  score this 75% or better.  Or maybe it is a turd but I'll judge that for myself thank you.

I would say that if anyone genuinely fully enjoyed at least 3 out of the first 4  DCEU movies, my guess is that you will enjoy this one.  You likely don't have the same quarrels with DCEU that many critics or detractors have, which is fine.  But I would also guess those same people don't have to be convinced to see this movie. 

My wife HATED BVS, mildly liked SS, and really liked WW.  So we were looking at a 75% RT score threshold to pay to see the JL movie in the theatre.  Didn't make it.  We've used up all of her DC goodwill, which is understandable.  They don't get the benefit of the doubt, at least not Justice League.  I think we'd go with WW at 55% RT or higher.

8 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

It is posted there now... 40% currently. 

oh, for those lofty heights of yore. 38% now.  kudos to mashable.com for nearly nailing this perfectly, now only 3% away from their 33% estimate

Edited by paperheart

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

It was 43% yesterday.  Metacritic score is 48, and for comparison BvS was 44 and Suicide Squad was 40, so it's marginally better than both of those.

Seems like a lock that Snyder won't be doing the sequel.  If he does, then clearly Geoff Johns isn't really in charge or has taken leave of his senses.

"stock" of sequel tanking.  https://www.hsx.com/security/view/JLEA2

2 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

So what's the difference anyway when the reviews are posted or what the 'score' is?

The difference is we want really, really good movies.  More of "The Dark Knight" or its semi-equivalents.

36 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I have not made any decisions on this movie yet, but people here are predisposed to judge a comic movie differently then your average critic and the general public.  We understand the Easter Eggs, have often read these stories for years while the rest of the planet felt superheroes were for kids and weirdos. If the story seems disjointed to a critic our minds can seamlessly fill in the gaps because we know the source material.  We have been following the development of the movie, where the vast majority of potential views only start to care a few days before release.  They are not the people buying tickets weeks in advance. We are also more likely to form strong opinions in either direction on the final product because we are so much more passionate.  But ultimately, I think most fans like us are more likely to embrace these movies, despite faults, because the little kid in us is so excited to see them brought to life.

In the end we are a small minority.  For better or worse, the average viewer is going to listen to critics more than we would like, and they will form their own opinion.  The people who would go regardless will go, those dead set against were going to stay home anyway.  What you lose is the middle, that person that is unsure and waits for reviews and word of mouth before going. I still stand by my $850 million prediction for JL so it will be successful, but anyone that thinks the mediocre to bad reviews will not have some effect on box office are kidding themselves.  BvS should have hit 1 billion, and  WW was only expected to do maybe $650 million.  The reviews and hype did effect both those films.  The reviews will not kill this movie, but I would not be surprised if they end up costing it $50 to $100 million in box office.

14 minutes ago, drotto said:

I have not made any decisions on this movie yet, but people here are predisposed to judge a comic movie differently then your average critic and the general public.  We understand the Easter Eggs, have often read these stories for years while the rest of the planet felt superheroes were for kids and weirdos. If the story seems disjointed to a critic our minds can seamlessly fill in the gaps because we know the source material.  We have been following the development of the movie, where the vast majority of potential views only start to care a few days before release.  They are not the people buying tickets weeks in advance. We are also more likely to form strong opinions in either direction on the final product because we are so much more passionate.  But ultimately, I think most fans like us are more likely to embrace these movies, despite faults, because the little kid in us is so excited to see them brought to life.

In the end we are a small minority.  For better or worse, the average viewer is going to listen to critics more than we would like, and they will form their own opinion.  The people who would go regardless will go, those dead set against were going to stay home anyway.  What you lose is the middle, that person that is unsure and waits for reviews and word of mouth before going. I still stand by my $850 million prediction for JL so it will be successful, but anyone that thinks the mediocre to bad reviews will not have some effect on box office are kidding themselves.  BvS should have hit 1 billion, and  WW was only expected to do maybe $650 million.  The reviews and hype did effect both those films.  The reviews will not kill this movie, but I would not be surprised if they end up costing it $50 to $100 million in box office.

This.

A million times this.

I'm a comic book geek but believe that we geeks -- even more than the general public -- deserve quality renditions of our beloved characters.

In a day and age where Hollywood has proven it could craft a thrilling film out of freakin' Guardians of the Galaxy, given us a modern western of a Wolverine film with real emotional resonance, and produced a Wonder Woman film that went beyond a mere origin story with a period war espionage plot, there's no excuse not to do these stories right. Heck - I'm excited for a New Mutants horror movie.

We as comic geeks should be intellectually honest with each other and hold these films to the highest standards -- it's not enough to be satisfied just seeing our childhood heroes interact on the big screen. With the amount of talent and money involved, studios should take the time to get it right.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

A million times this.

I'm a comic book geek but believe that we geeks -- even more than the general public -- deserve quality renditions of our beloved characters.

In a day and age where Hollywood has proven it could craft a thrilling film out of freakin' Guardians of the Galaxy, given us a modern western of a Wolverine film with real emotional resonance, and produced a Wonder Woman film that went beyond a mere origin story with a period war espionage plot, there's no excuse not to do these stories right. Heck - I'm excited for a New Mutants horror movie.

We as comic geeks should be intellectually honest with each other and hold these films to the highest standards -- it's not enough to be satisfied just seeing our childhood heroes interact on the big screen. With the amount of talent and money involved, studios should take the time to get it right.

It is amazing when we think GotG did 91,Logan 93, Spiderman:Homecoming 92, Wonder Woman 92 and Thor:Ragnorak 92,but JLA can't even break 40.

I am not buying the critics got this wrong. They liked all the other ones immensely. Clearly the critics see something in JLA that they don't in all the others.

10 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Finally an opportunity to post this book.  I'm ready to see this movie!

***Green Lantern (any version) better show up

20171116_165942.jpg.505a8075e6513b93ed48ecbdac481de8.jpg

Well, yeah. "Unite the Seven" after all.

But...is this film actually based on that storyline (minus the Darkseid appearance)?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Justice_League:_Origin

I haven't read it but it seems analagous and some critics have confirmed their are boom tubes.

28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

A million times this.

I think you hit on what the critics and to an extent the public is looking for now.  You can no longer just do a superhero movie. Avengers did that, they beat everyone else to the punch and they did it extremely well.  That movie was your typical bad guy wants to take over the world plot with your teseract mcguffin. But five years ago how the characters were brought together and interacted over the course of several movies was unique, and the action placed on the screen was pure comic brought to life like never before. That is not good enough now, you can't just be a bad guy want to take over the world comic plot anymore, its been done. I would wager that if Avengers was not first it would a as highly regarded.

So what is being looked for now is genre mashing superhero movies.  And all the movies you list that have been well rated are proof.  GOTG was misfit superheroes in space. WW was a WW I movie. Logan was a western. Thor was a comedy buddy movie, Captain American 2 was a cold war spy thriller.  You get my point.  While often subtle, the mixing of movie types is enough to keep the basic hero formula fresh and result in new a different enough plots. Without something new to delve into and dissect, critics default to ripping things apart and are force to comment on who did what better. Because film makers have figured out how to make great superhero movies, the bar is continuously being raised and critics raise their standards because there is so much more material to compare things too. You need to bring something a bit more to the table now. So five years ago, I think it is a safe bet that JL would be doing critically better.

34 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Well, yeah. "Unite the Seven" after all.

But...is this film actually based on that storyline (minus the Darkseid appearance)?

Since I haven't seen the move I'm not sure.  I'll let you know afterlol.

But I would recommend picking up the books (Jim Lee run).  The story is ok...your standard team comic story.  The artwork is of course superb.

A good story is a good story, regardless of the characters.

DC just can't seem to get their act together, outside of the Nolan / Batman films.

I have yet to see this but my nose is a terrific BS meter for movies and this had stinker all over it since I saw BVS (which also wasn't great IMO).

They are trying to hard to catch Marvel rather than just move at their own pace, and that is the main problem.

Trying to catch a moving target is much harder than creating your own target and going for it.

With all the focus on the negative today, and the speeches about what makes a great superhero movie ( :luhv: ), I went to check the critics noted on Rotten Tomatoes that found it fresh.

:whatthe:

uIzwGSO.png

Review: Justice League

"Justice League" succeeds in its most important mission: assembling the Justice League and having them kick some major a**-- but there are some issues. Here's Kevin McCarthy's full review:

My DCEU rankings:

1. “Man of Steel”

2. “Wonder Woman” and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (Ultimate Edition. R-Rated)

3. “Justice League”
4. "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" (Theatrical Edition. PG-13 Rated)

5. I’m not even going to rank “Suicide Squad” here. I enjoyed the first act of that film and many of the performances but it was overall a major disappointment.

I want to start this review off by saying that I am a fan of Zack Snyder’s films. Snyder has such a unique way of combining soundtrack, score, cinematography and action where altogether they brilliantly suspend my disbelief. I was re-watching “Man of Steel” the other day and just studying the brilliance of his documentary-style cinematography.

All that being said, “Justice League” is awesome action film. I enjoyed the heck out of it and I can’t wait to see it again. The action scenes and Justice League team sequences are going to geek people out. While the film has some glaring issues, none of those problems ruined my overall experience with the film. I give “Justice League” a 4/5.

ozMIgQt.png

Review: Justice League

The new teaming for Justice League at least allows director Zack Snyder, who has supervised some of the last few DC outings, to jettison his annoyingly somber mood. Snyder had to step down in post-production after the tragic suicide of his daughter. Joss Whedon, who helmed Marvel’s The Avengers, took over and has a screenwriting credit.

The battles are still gargantuan as they were in Snyder’s Man of Steel, but the dialogue has Whedon’s droll approach. It’s also refreshing to see a DC movie where sunlight shines on a regular basis. In Snyder’s previous movie, night time showers occurred in just about every frame.

This time around Bruce Wayne/Batman notices that creatures with human bodies and wings like wasps are getting in the way of his ability to beat up bad guys. He correctly senses that something apocalyptic is afoot, and that the high tech toys he and his butler Alfred (Jeremy Irons) have been using might not be sufficient.

The battle scenes are still cluttered, but Snyder seems to have a better sense of how to show up his characters’ powers this time. When Affleck’s Batman swings into action, for once viewers won’t be waiting for Wonder Woman to do something cooler.

As a boy growing up in Kansas, Superman, who hails from the fictional Smallville, was fun to look up to because he offered a welcome break from Dorothy and Toto jokes. In its final form, the new DC adventure reflects its challenging production, but it does come closer than some of predecessors to giving its iconic stable of characters justice.

6 out of 10