• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, drotto said:

I still have several friends that are holding off on this movie because of BvS.  They want to give a week or so to see the critics score as well as what the word of mouth is.

Within a week you probably should have enough feedback from multiple sources, it will be clear what movie-goers are saying. Critics seem to be wrapping up fairly soon, though it was interesting to see RT jump 3 points to 40%.

RVK2Yu5.png

'Justice League' tries hard to overcome cinematic superhero fatigue

Unless you already buy into the conceit that people with superpowers are more interesting when fighting apocalyptic forces of evil from another dimension, “Justice League” will come across as ridiculous, but at least watchable when things aren’t exploding.

The good news for fans of a Justice League movie that could give Marvel/Disney’s “Avengers” franchise a run for its money is that what finally made it to the screen isn’t as terrible as it could’ve been given its pedigree as a sequel to “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” (2016). Once again, director Zack Snyder is at the helm of the DC Extended Universe’s latest installment after last year’s spectacular misfire. This time, Mr. Snyder keeps his trademark nihilism and on-screen body count to a minimum.

I don’t believe any innocent civilians were killed or had buildings dropped on them, though there is a flashback to pitched battles between Atlanteans, Amazons and marauding bug demons that are appropriately explosive. This is progress for a DCEU film.

Still, audiences will warm to “Justice League,” especially if a director’s cut containing all the scenes that were cut to get the running time to under two hours are restored in the DVD release. It’s not a bad movie, but it is far from super. “Wonder Woman” is still the reigning champ of the DCEU with “Justice League” a distant second. Marvel/Disney have nothing to fear — yet.

2.5/4.0

bzgNBw0.png

Review: Justice League (Bumbray's take)

REVIEW: Has there ever been a movie whose production has been under a microscope as much as JUSTICE LEAGUE? Ever since BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE was met with fan backlash (and a disappointing $872 million worldwide take), Warner Bros has been under pressure to right the ship, with fans all but demanding the grim tone be ditched in favor of optimism, leading to a mega-budget production that, every step of the way, Warner has been promising would be more “fun” than BvS. With so much riding on it (almost, but not quite, the fate of the DCEU), it’s no wonder JUSTICE LEAGUE’s been tinkered with so much before reaching cinemas, with director Zack Snyder famously stepping aside due to family reasons (although he’s still the sole credited director) and Joss Whedon (who gets a co-writing credit) helming the reshoots.

The villain doesn’t come off nearly as well, with Steppenwolf (voiced by Ciaran Hinds) being among the worst in comic-book film history. Imagine if Doomsday, as poorly as he was conceived in BvS, was the main baddie and you have some idea of how awry he goes, with CGI that’s so bad you’d be hard pressed to find another big-budget blockbuster since the millennium that had a character look so bad. What happened here? The Parademon baddies fare just as poorly, making them a generic, disposable threat. As badly as he was received by fans, Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor should have come back. The inevitable showdown with Steppenwolf is over quickly, and it almost feels like a third act was scrapped to fit the whole thing in at two hours.

Indeed, JUSTICE LEAGUE is a mixed bag, and this comes from someone who more-or-less liked BATMAN V SUPERMAN, mostly for Affleck and the unapologetically bold tone. This is an altogether different beast, but to its credit, it’s far from a disaster. Things about it work, mainly the chemistry between the heroes, although their relationships could have been fleshed out. DC fans will enjoy it, and it leaves the door open to (hopefully) better follow-ups.

6.0/10.0

Seems like critics that liked it feel there was an obvious blending of content from different paths.

Just now, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Thought it was OK.  There's a during credit scene as well as a post credit scene for those wanting to know if you should stay through all the credits.

Without any details, what did you think of the credit scenes?

Average Rating: 5.3/10

Reviews Counted: 221

Fresh: 87

Rotten: 134

Interesting tracking so far, where 87 out of 221 critics categorized the movie as 'Fresh'. That's not a small number, though of course averages factor in here.

Edited by Bosco685
correcting #

7 minutes ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Thought it was OK.  There's a during credit scene as well as a post credit scene for those wanting to know if you should stay through all the credits.

You have excellent taste in movies, so you are just a reliable as the film critics as far as I'm concerned. (thumbsu 

5 minutes ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

They were worth waiting for, first seemed pretty short but fun, the post was a bit more detailed regarding something completely different (future sequel aspect).

6 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

First one was pure fun. Second one was half stupid and half cool as hell. 

Thanks fellas!

:whee:

55 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

You have excellent taste in movies, so you are just a reliable as the film critics as far as I'm concerned. (thumbsu 

Thanks.  I'd give JL a three and a half out of five stars (if they don't have a quarter star).  or a 6.5 out of 10.  I rate my Netflix (I miss the firefox allowing 1/2 stars they used to ) as Stars: 1 (really bad), 2 (bad), 2.5 (Meh), 3 -3.4 (OK), 3.5-3.9 (Good), 4-4.4 (Very Good), 4.5-5 (Great).

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I'm back home, finally.

You know what? I thought it was great! I don't see what all the negative reviews were on about, really. It's petty obvious paper-thin villain Steppenwolf was there only to bring the League together so I didn't expect anything more from him other than that. Several things could have been improved and the pace is VERY fast, but the characters were fun to see on the big screen and their interaction was very Avengers-ish (credit to Whedon for that). Flash was definitely my favorite, followed closely by Superman. Boy did Superman just beat the living snot out of Steppenwolf. I enjoyed that. There were a few genuine geek out moments for me, as well as a few questions. Heavy spoilers (including end credits scenes) follow...

Reveal hidden contents

The one flashback battle shot of the Green Lantern in action gave me goose-bumps. Then another one (the same one? couldn't tell) died (Abin Sur? Salaak? Difficult to tell due to the angle) and his ring flew off into the sky. VERY cool stuff). Also, who in Wonder-Woman lore has the ability to shoot lightning from his hands?  They showed that guy (again in the flashback battle sequence) a few times prominently. Darkseid was mentioned once, the "old gods have died" was said once and mention of "New Gods" was also done once.  Cyborg modifying his armor at the end to look more like the comic character was a treat. First end credits scene (Flash/Superman race) was really fun and great to see, second was kinda crappy (Luthor) but also very cool (armored Deathstroke) at the same time.

Can you tell who the actor is that plays the costumed villain in the second credit scene?

1 minute ago, Chip Cataldo said:
4 minutes ago, kimik said:

Can you tell who the actor is that plays the costumed villain in the second credit scene?

Reveal hidden contents

Yep, definitely. He takes his helmet off at the end.

Cool. Is it the person that was rumored to be playing the role in the other movie?

I am going to see it on Sunday but do not mind to have this spoiled for me.