• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

Ben Affleck Calls Justice League "An Interesting Product Of Two Directors"

Director Zack Snyder stepped off of the film after a family tragedy, with Batgirl director Joss Whedon stepping in to finish the project. Batman actor Ben Affleck recently spoke to EW about how it's been working on a product of two directors and two visions.

“It’s a little bit unorthodox,” admits Ben Affleck. "Zack had a family tragedy, and stepped off, which was horrible. For the movie, the best person we could’ve possibly found was Joss. We got really lucky that he stepped in.”

Affleck goes on to describe Justice League as “an interesting product of two directors, both with kind of unique visions, both with really strong takes. I’ve never had that experience before making a movie. I have to say, I really love working with Zack, and I really love the stuff we’ve done with Joss.”

The project came under the microscope when it underwent significant reshoots, with many seeing that as a bad sign. Affleck has plenty of experience behind the camera and assures fans that process is normal across the board, regardless of genre.

“I’ve never worked on a movie that didn’t do reshoots,” Affleck says. “Argo, we did reshoots for a week and a half! Four days on Gone Baby Gone! This is a really nice time to work in DC. They’re hitting their stride. They’re getting it right. It’s starting to feel like it’s really working.”

Early Cut Of Justice League Deemed “Unwatchable” Who determined the initial cut was deemed unwatchable?

Though unconfirmed, this is still worrying to hear.

But like Affleck noted, along with other actors asked about the reshoots, it does come down to atmosphere and tone.

Zack Snyder mostly goes for more dark and portentous, while Joss Whedon goes for more light and jokey. That's not to say there's no humor in Snyder films, or that Whedon doesn't go dark (just watch SERENITY to know that's not true), just that - for the most part - their styles don't seem like they'd be readily compatible.

I could see Snyder's cut being dark still, which is why Whedon was already working with Snyder on reshoot -script changes to add a lighter tone and additional humor. 'Unwatchable' sounds like it is meant to grab headline attention.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Early Cut Of Justice League Deemed “Unwatchable” Who determined the initial cut was deemed unwatchable?

But like Affleck noted, along with other actors asked about the reshoots, it does come down to atmosphere and tone.

I could see Snyder's cut being dark still, which is why Whedon was already working with Snyder on reshoot --script changes to add a lighter tone and additional humor. 'Unwatchable' sounds like it is meant to grab headline attention.

I can see both points of view on this.  I am not going to trust one un named source as gospel, but Afleck pointing out how drastically different the two directors are has me somewhat worried.  Who's film is it at this point, and will those two very different approaches be able to mesh?

Another thing that has me worried about the DCEU in general it the roadmap of release dates has gotten very fuzzy.  For Marvel we have firm dates for the next 3 or 4 years.  DC on the other hand gave us a big timeline about two years back, which seems almost laughably inaccurate at this point.  Flash seem to be on perminant hold, Batman is being rewritten again, Shazam may be the next film starting, etc.  I am thrilled WW has a sequel for 2019, and I know that one will be on time, so take what you can.

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

I can see both points of view on this.  I am not going to trust one un named source as gospel, but Afleck pointing out how drastically different the two directors are has me somewhat worried.  Who's film is it at this point, and will those two very different approaches be able to mesh?

Another thing that has me worried about the DCEU in general it the roadmap of release dates has gotten very fuzzy.  For Marvel we have firm dates for the next 3 or 4 years.  DC on the other hand gave us a big timeline about two years back, which seems almost laughably inaccurate at this point.  Flash seem to be on perminant hold, Batman is being rewritten again, Shazam may be the next film starting, etc.  I am thrilled WW has a sequel for 2019, and I know that one will be on time, so take what you can.

One suggestion I have for the second Justice League movie is just leave both Batman and Superman out of it. Both characters just overpower a storyline with each having complicated mythos.

People forget when the Justice League comics first came out they avoided both Batman and Superman.

firstjla.jpg?w=299&h=436

jla01.jpg

58 minutes ago, drotto said:

I do wonder what the JL tone will be, and if it will flow smoothly coming from two different paths.

I guess this is going to be our potential Superman 2, where Richard Donner was replaced by Richard Lester. Though in this case, Joss Whedon has definitely proven himself to be a super-capable fantasy/superhero creative lead. I'm thinking what also helps here is Geoff Johns is now the glue that binds the franchise, and so far his first big test (Wonder Woman) paid off tremendously!

:wishluck:

I haven't started :ohnoez:...yet.

This is the one movie they can't afford to fail.  It's the "Avengers" of the DC universe.  So if they have to re-shoot it 100 more times or scrap the entire thing and start from scratch they'll do it.

They'll get it right:wishluck:.

***Cyborg and Flash really need new costumes though:sick:

10 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I haven't started :ohnoez:...yet.

This is the one movie they can't afford to fail.  It's the "Avengers" of the DC universe.  So if they have to re-shoot it 100 more times or scrap the entire thing and start from scratch they'll do it.

They'll get it right:wishluck:.

***Cyborg and Flash really need new costumes though:sick:

I keep wondering why Cyborg continues to look marginal in the trailers.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'Unwatchable' sounds like it is meant to grab headline attention.

You're probably right, but you still can't deny DC's track record doesn't at least make this a slight possibility.  Whereas Marvel movies have a track record of at least being decent, DC movies like BvS and Suicide Squad have been so horrid that (in my opinion) they are 'unwatchable' and as such news like this only adds to my fears that Justice League might bad.  But, here's to hoping i'm wrong.  :wishluck:

30 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

You're probably right, but you still can't deny DC's track record doesn't at least make this a slight possibility.  Whereas Marvel movies have a track record of at least being decent, DC movies like BvS and Suicide Squad have been so horrid that (in my opinion) they are 'unwatchable' and as such news like this only adds to my fears that Justice League might bad.  But, here's to hoping i'm wrong.  :wishluck:

I can understand why some would be hesitant since they were dissatisfied with the earlier productions. Wonder Woman was the first test run under Geoff Johns, and worked out solid. Now people most probably want to see a pattern, versus Wonder Woman being a fluke. I get it.

But I just don't think they will let something this massive be a large risk. And putting it in Whedon's hands is a very wise move. Maybe all these changes are in-synch with Geoff Johns collaboration and direction. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I can understand why some would be hesitant since they were dissatisfied with the earlier productions. Wonder Woman was the first test run under Geoff Johns, and worked out solid. Now people most probably want to see a pattern, versus Wonder Woman being a fluke. I get it.

But I just don't think they will let something this massive be a large risk. And putting it in Whedon's hands is a very wise move. Maybe all these changes are in-synch with Geoff Johns collaboration and direction. We'll see.

One great movie is not yet a trend.  Just really hope WW is not an abbaration, but the startt of something bigger.

JUSTICE LEAGUE International Poster Spotlights The Civilian Identities Of The Five Heroes

Justice-League-Japan.jpg?quality=85&stri

A Japanese poster for Justice League was spotted in a theater and shared online, giving us new looks at 5 of the 6 heroes (no Superman, of course) out of costume.

The bottom part of the one-sheet features previously-seen images of Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman, but above them we have all-new pics of Bruce Wayne, Diana Prince, Barry Allen, Arthur Curry, and Victor Stone.

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I do wonder what the JL tone will be, and if it will flow smoothly coming from two different paths.

I guess this is going to be our potential Superman 2, where Richard Donner was replaced by Richard Lester. Though in this case, Joss Whedon has definitely proven himself to be a super-capable fantasy/superhero creative lead. I'm thinking what also helps here is Geoff Johns is now the glue that binds the franchise, and so far his first big test (Wonder Woman) paid off tremendously!

:wishluck:

I think this will be more a Joss Whedon film than a Zack Snyder film in the end. Snyder's vision was probably leaning more towards BvS, while Whedon's will probably hit closer to the Avengers. It wouldn't surprise me if Whedon & Johns saw an early screening that left a bad taste in their mouth & said, we need to reshoot half this film.