• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

If the movie was expected to $110MM domestic and only did $96MM, that means the film also under perfored internationally by about $26MM.

-J.

You said China was weak. Wonder Woman was at $38M that first weekend and Justice League came in at %51.7M. So not sure about a weak China.

As far as International Box Office falling behind, hard to tell. Analyst estimates on a wide scale like that versus final results I can see differences coming up.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

You said China was weak. Wonder Woman was at $38M that first weekend and Justice League came in at %51.7M. So not sure about a weak China.

As far as International Box Office falling behind, hard to tell. Analyst estimates on a wide scale like that versus final results I can see differences coming up.

Because of this, if past history is any guide:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inverse.com/amp/article/13484-why-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-bombed-in-china

I thought WW actually had a pretty decent China first week showing, all things considered.  

-J.

I enjoyed the way the movie began, with that short interview with Superman. Then the opening song really killed my buzz. It was cringeworthy for me. Stop with the cry baby stuff. It’s sad that Superman died, but man...let’s just get to the action. (shrug)

i enjoyed the opening Batman scene, loved the shot of him crouched on that statue in the background. Beautiful shot. That’s exactly what Batman is supposed to look like to criminals. Creepy and mysterious. I dig the Affleck costume.

All the performances were good in my opinion. A better villain would have possibly made it an A movie for me. 

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Because of this, if past history is any guide:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inverse.com/amp/article/13484-why-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-bombed-in-china

I thought WW actually had a pretty decent China first week showing, all things considered.  

-J.

Outperforming the most successful of the DC modern movies by $13M is not weak. But keep digging.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

So.....where is the missing $26MM in its missing projected international box office? 

-J.

Was there an article that broke out by region and country how they tallied that estimate? If so, then you compare to what the current estimate states. I just ask you post the results, as that would be interesting to see where analyst estimates may have over-projected.

Meanwhile, final numbers will land tomorrow.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Was there an article that broke out by region and country how they tallied that estimate? If so, then you compare to what the current estimate states. I just ask you post the results, as that would be interesting to see where analyst estimates may have over-projected.

Meanwhile, final numbers will land tomorrow.

No I haven't any such article.  Which is why I posted the post mortem article for BvS as a reference point.  

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

No I haven't any such article.  Which is why I posted the post mortem article for BvS as a reference point.  

-J.

So if WB is rebuilding based on the response received from BvS (which then has led to much hesitation and questioning of DC), what leads you to believe the BvS estimate applies now?

31 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Pretty sure it was in the chamber with the Amazons, but not quite sure.

Yup, he is definitely mentioned in the movie. It is later on than that, though, if I recall correctly. I think it is when he battles the JL the first time and talks about Darkseid and taking his place as a New God. I may have to catch it a second time to confirm when he is mentioned exactly.

Edited by kimik

Just now, kimik said:

Yup, he is definitely mentioned in the movie. It is later on than that, though, if I recall correctly. I may have to catch it a second time to confirm when he is mentioned exactly.

I just never caught that. And I was truly listening for it because someone in this thread said they mention Darkseid one time. It got by me.

16 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

He was mentioned by Steppenwolf, but he might never have a film to appear in. 

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I can't see them skipping Darkseid. Not with the appearance of Steppenwolf.

I think the initial plan was to have Darkseid to be like Thanos...an enemy so over power it would take the gathering of DC super heroes to defeat him.  After JL I think they gave themselves a way out of going in that direction.  The second end credit basically confirmed that.

Saw the movie last night.  Plenty of reasons to love it.  Plenty of reasons to hate it.  I'll leave it at that.

I thought the movie was very well done, and my wife and kids loved it as well. You can see how they are setting things up nicely for future solo films. 

I did not really notice the CGI'd out moustache issue, and my wife and kids said they did not notice it at all. I guess it is only comic nerds that read the fansites that did. lol

That being said, I really liked the way they used Superman. This was the first time in the Snyder-DCCU that he was used properly. It was great to see. 

Overall a great first step in a new direction and a much better film than what the underqualified talking heads', err critics', scores were.

One funny tidbit - after the mid credits scene half of the theatre emptied even though they should have been well aware of an end credits scene as well. lol

8 minutes ago, kimik said:

Yup, he is definitely mentioned in the movie. It is later on than that, though, if I recall correctly. I think it is when he battles the JL the first time and talks about Darkseid and taking his place as a New God. I may have to catch it a second time to confirm when he is mentioned exactly.

You're probably right. Most of the Steppenwolf battle scenes kinda bled together for me. Lol.