• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What moderns are truly keys and will stay that way?

96 posts in this topic

All these people trying to convince seasoned collectors that CM17 is going to be a future gold mine reminds me of all the people in the 90s saying Gen13 was going to be your ticket to a Porsche when you retire. It was so great! Gen13 will never die! No way it could ever fail!

There were a lot of characters in time that were popular in their day, but tastes change and there's no way of knowing if she will be popular 10 years from now.

Convince? Just participating in a thread and trying to stay on topic. But with this many seasoned collectors it's not easy to talk about anything that they don't agree with. We will see said the blind man.

So very well said :) I though for a min there I was the only one to notice that! What ever happened to PEOPLE LOVING COMICS and encouraging new collectors or investors to go for it. To like and enjoy...to make a buck..or just to hang a cool cover on your wall. Man theres some miserable people that claim to be collectors or whatever but hate on everything...its nuts! Whats to complain about??? Investers are making huge money flipping books but ridicule the hype or the people buying them!?! Thats azz backwards. Im a collector and i welcome anything new..fad or not? Who am i to say? If i like it i buy it..if not I keep it moving. Good post sir!

I think miles will stick around. He is well liked and now an Avenger..alot of this depents on how Marvel handles the character. Im not a fan but I hope he does well. I think peter needs to move beyond SM and do something big.pass down the title. I dont mean disrepect to SM fans. I respect SM.

Ok everybody pretty much listed the tried and true keys. I just want to add that variants are not keys within themselves. A "key" is a issue that holfs some importance to a character. Cameo.1st app.origin.new costum.1st ongoing.ect. A key can come in a variant only upping the demand if its hot. Not all "keys" are hot..doesnt mean its not a key for that character and "key" has nothing to do with "market value"

Ok everybody pretty much listed the tried and true keys. I just want to add that variants are not keys within themselves. A "key" is a issue that holfs some importance to a character. Cameo.1st app.origin.new costum.1st ongoing.ect. A key can come in a variant only upping the demand if its hot. Not all "keys" are hot..doesnt mean its not a key for that character and "key" has nothing to do with "market value"

Are you 5? My two year old types better than you. :eyeroll:g

Are you 5? My two year old types better than you. :eyeroll:g

GI Joe is awesome?

Ok oakman..that attack is pretty lame. Im not from here and do not have as good a grasp of spelling or speaking as someone born here. Im sorry for that...so how old are you to be so childish as to try and make fun off another man for no reason. Do i know ? Did i offend you in anyway? Sir you must be a real looser to have nothing better to do or say than to make fun of another person. You must hate your life...good night sir and blessings to your "2 year old daughter" :)

For some reason I'm not seeing the Bone appreciation thread. It's on topic with a key yet I wanted to post it as a warning. As well ask if it's the norm for the other company to not correctly identify the printing number in the label? If I'm not mistaken that's the 5th printing. Am I missing something?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3DBone%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=1089317

Edit: Located the Bone thread.

Ok oakman..that attack is pretty lame. Im not from here and do not have as good a grasp of spelling or speaking as someone born here. Im sorry for that...so how old are you to be so childish as to try and make fun off another man for no reason. Do i know ? Did i offend you in anyway? Sir you must be a real looser to have nothing better to do or say than to make fun of another person. You must hate your life...good night sir and blessings to your "2 year old daughter" :)

I'm not any looser than I usually am. I adopted two great boys,whom are brothers. A loving wife,nice home in California,great career,awesome comic and toy collection. I'm fairly happy with my life. I just can't understand you sometimes, is that a crime? lol

No its not..but now you understand why. Im from Italy and speak and read english from comics. I did not go school here. But it gets sad all the negativity on here but i understand maybe you just giving me humor. its ok :)

Okey know I understand,thank you for telbing me. I dont want you to think im a looser.

Wow, only 1 person mentioned cm 17 2nd print.

That book is still growing, with the estimated guess of less than 1000 copirs this book may be THE modern book to own in rarity alone...as far as 1st apps go.

We will re-read this years from now.. This book will be the modern KEY !

It will be forgotten, just like Spider Gwen, a female Thor etc etc. You keep your hopes up though.

Oakman- Who has seen 40 years of fads go by the wayside.

I think you have a point regarding female Thor, as I imagine it's a storyline with an intended final point, after which the Thor we know will return, and while the issues may hold some interest, they won't exactly be "keys."

Same for Spider-Gwen. I think Gwen-mania has a limited shelf life, after which we'll look back, shrug, and ponder "This was about slipppers?"

But Kamala Khan's popularity seems to be more organic. I won't pick a book that will be considered the key, but I think if Wilson stays on the book then certainly I can see MM being around for a while.

If the Valiant movies take off then there are a number of books from the new line that may ascend to "key" status. There are a few first appearances of what look to be integral characters to the line, and a few reintroductions that differ enough from the original counterpart that I think the revamp will get the attention.

That book is still growing, with the estimated guess of less than 1000 copirs this book may be THE modern book to own in rarity alone...as far as 1st apps go.

It will be forgotten, just like Spider Gwen, a female Thor etc etc. You keep your hopes up though.

Negative.

... maybe an unpopular opinion (espeically here in modern land) but I dont think of any low issue variant as a "key"

only way I could see an exception was if the cover was some iconic marketwide lovefest that everyone wanted, but was hard to find due to it being a variant (I'd see the Batman 608 RRP as a possible "key" espeically since it's had market staying power for 13 years)

IF Kamala sticks around and the character has legs then CM17 could be a "key", but to call some miniscule print run book the "key" just doesnt jive with my idea of a key.

Here's how I do a mental check on "keys"... if you ran into someone and they said they had a great collection of modern keys, what books would you expect to see in that collection?

Would the CM17 2nd be a great part of the collection? Yes, no doubt. But if I saw the collection and it was WD1, BA12, Invincible 1, Bone 1, YTLM 1, and so on then Id smile and go "yep thats a heck of a modern key collection!"

as someone else said, just cause it's rare dont make it a key, and just cause it costs a lot (right now) doesnt make it key. If Kamala keeps her importance for a while then we can consider it, right now it's just speculative...

CM 17 is kamalas go to book as far as her 1st app. goes. All the other factors such as rarity and "speculation" make it desirable

6 months ago we had doubters on this book and now you can't touch 9.8 copies with 700 dollars. this book is already stablished and is not speculator buying it. Speculators NEVER pay GPA, speculators always buy with intentions to flip.

Also her solo was great and her relaunch comes out this week, not to mention marvel has big plans for her.

I love "kamila:...sorry i mean kamala, i would LOVE for cm 17 2nd print to drop like a rock so that i can buy another 9.8 but it wont happen so I've thrown mine into my pc.

I think you have a point regarding female Thor, as I imagine it's a storyline with an intended final point, after which the Thor we know will return, and while the issues may hold some interest, they won't exactly be "keys."

Same for Spider-Gwen. I think Gwen-mania has a limited shelf life, after which we'll look back, shrug, and ponder "This was about slipppers?"

But Kamala Khan's popularity seems to be more organic. I won't pick a book that will be considered the key, but I think if Wilson stays on the book then certainly I can see MM being around for a while.

SG, Female Thor & CM#17 have NOTHING in common. With the exception that they are all, of course, female characters.

So, someone in Bleeding Cool lets say, can say that your statement is gender biased lol

Let me elaborate..

Female Thor is simply another storyline, in the developing saga of the God of Thunder, true. This may stick or it may disapear in a few years.

CM#17 II is a phenomenon. Its staggering inflated price has NOTHING to do with the character. Its the trend. (sorry for playing a 45 on it again)

SG is a hit. She wasnt supposed to be in continuity, she was part of the Spider-Verse saga, but because she appealed to many, she became a hit. She will ALWAYS have a fanbase, even if she wont last forever (which looks to be unlikely)

Heres something for you guys to consider. Marvel always, and I mean ALWAYS cashed in on what worked. Venom worked, which is why we got Carnage and a million other Symbiotes. Its a story, but it was developed because the character worked, sold, and made Marvel a good fortune. Spider-Gwen is no different. She worked, she sells and now we're having a GwenPool and god knows how many others will appear after her.

Do I hate it?

I do. Just as much as I hate Venom