• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What moderns are truly keys and will stay that way?

96 posts in this topic

Batman #1 New 52 (not just the sketch cover or 2-5 prints).

Starts a great story arc (Court of Owls)

Scott Snyder story

Greg Capullo art

It's Batman

Also, all DC Combo Packs.

Just kidding about the combo packs (I still love 'em though - lol)

Wow, only 1 person mentioned cm 17 2nd print.

That book is still growing, with the estimated guess of less than 1000 copirs this book may be THE modern book to own in rarity alone...as far as 1st apps go.

They said key,not values.

That book is still growing, with the estimated guess of less than 1000 copirs this book may be THE modern book to own in rarity alone...as far as 1st apps go.

We will re-read this years from now.. This book will be the modern KEY !

It will be forgotten, just like Spider Gwen, a female Thor etc etc. You keep your hopes up though.

Oakman- Who has seen 40 years of fads go by the wayside.

Why? Because it's a low print run?

Batman #1 New 52 (not just the sketch cover or 2-5 prints).

Starts a great story arc (Court of Owls)

Scott Snyder story

Greg Capullo art

It's Batman

Also, all DC Combo Packs.

Just kidding about the combo packs (I still love 'em though - lol)

I miss combo packs.

Why? Because it's a low print run?

No because I think she will stick around as a character and this is her key book. It will have more legs than a lot of the forgotten independent books mentioned.

It will be forgotten, just like Spider Gwen, a female Thor etc etc. You keep your hopes up though.

Maybe so old timer, but of the ones you mentioned Kamala is the only one that's not a ret-con

My top moderns. True keys that will stand the test of time.

Batman adventures #12

invincible #1

captain marvel 17 2nd print

NYX #3

Bone #1

mouse guard -3.00 cover var.

Dead@17 #1

As a speculative play...

I agree about Josh Howard's "Dead @ 17" - - just look at Tim Seeley's "Hack/Slash"

Dead @ 17 is a well written (and illustrated) indie book (and you might as well pick up "The Lost Books of Eve" and "Black Harvest" too!)

I'd also include "Danger Girl #1" by Andy Hartnell & J. Scott Campbell, the original series. It's a series that continues to be released as fun adventure mini-series, and seems custom designed for TV or Film ('tho on TV there was "She Spies" and "Pamela Anderson's V.I.P." which featured fun all-girl espionage teams, already - - but to that point, both were popular and it's been over a decade since they've been on air)

As far as "Staying" I'd say it's all about 1st appearances by mainstream characters

Deadpool (New Mutants #98)

X-23 (NYX #3)

Harley Quinn (Batman Adventures #12)

Only time will tell about "Spider-Gwen" (Edge of Spider-Verse #2) but there's always naysayers to anything new that surges fast... I think it'll boil down to story, if the series has good writing it'll be supported.

I am not a buyer of the staying power of the current values on the 1st apperance books of Morales Spider-Man; New Captain Marvel, Silk, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Jessica Jones Alias, Gwen Pool, and a few other expensive books for relatively new characters.

In relation to story, I think the modern ERA's "Dark Knight Returns"/"Watchmen"/"V for Vendetta" etc. in storytelling which the comics will sustain a legendary status (maybe not astronomical values) is

Jeph Loeb's "Batman : Hush"

Brad Meltzer's "Identity Crisis"

...and possibly, Mark Millar's "Civil War" ('tho the ending seemed rushed, the concept was good and story combined with artwork was generally entertaining)

Walking Dead #1 (despite the series may fade from multi-media one day, the comic book actually is better than the TV show anyway, so that gives it staying power)

I do like Dark Horse's "Lady Killer" by Joelle Jones as a speculative title go garner attention based on character and story, more so than a lot of the indie stuff that seems to be surging quickly off the shelves. I'm not sure low print runs alone will sustain the value of a book, since it's about supply and demand, and once people realize, yes it's a scarce book with a limited pressing, but yes it's also a lackluster mediocre book that maybe nobody will remember in the future...

Obviously nm 98 and ba 12.

Cm 17 will probably stay, and so will eosv 2.

Idk how well walking dead will stay should the show end. I think the new 52 books, nyx 3, and invincible will drop. None mentioned will be dollar books, but I think some of these $200-$500 books will become less important, and therefore they will be $50-$200 books.

Walking dead will probably always command at least $500, but I do think it's peak will happen sooner rather than later. NYX 3 will drop like a lead balloon once the real Logan returns.

Maybe so old timer, but of the ones you mentioned Kamala is the only one that's not a ret-con

My top moderns. True keys that will stand the test of time.

Batman adventures #12

invincible #1

captain marvel 17 2nd print

NYX #3

Bone #1

mouse guard -3.00 cover var.

True keys must have already withstood the test of time. CM 17 may indeed do that, but it's too early to tell. The exuberance and hyperbole at this point comes off as cheerleading and actually makes me more suspicious of the book. Keys don't require advocacy. The book is doing well, but multiple sites are pumping it up. One of the Google groups has a guy named "something, the CM17 2nd rainmaker". Right now, my take is that speculators are more excited about it than fans are. That may change, but I do not regret selling most of my copies.

Channeling your inner Cal? :baiting::eek:

Channeling your inner Cal? :baiting::eek:

lol I'm glad someone got it.