• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber shop with comic theme.

21 posts in this topic

I've been looking at opening my own business. I would love to open an comic shop. But, I don't think there is enough money in it.. So I thought maybe a barber shop with comics??

Or maybe a shop with statues on display for sale??

What do u folks think❓

When I was a kid, the barber used to give my brother and I free comics. He said we could have the comics he read from last month. I loved going to get my hair cut. He helped feed my love of comics. I am not sure how much money/how profitable in either business (barber shop or comics). Beauty salon with women seems to be much more profitable than a barber shop because women have so many different things done. Women who go to salons don't seem the type that buy comics . Do it if you love it and you will be happy.

Do what you love.

Although I do not practice what I preach, I do enjoy my work because it is action-pack with challenges and I love a challenge.

If you fear the possible financial return from a comic store, why not do a blend? Have a (some how sterilely separated) comic shop at one part, and perhaps an area at the front where punters can sit in the lounge, connect to wifi to browse the cgc boards (read: Internet in general, not everyone is that cool), order a coffee from your little barrister up the front and perhaps even just sit back and read the books they just bought from you.

Definitely have collectibles (statues, figurines) and knick-knacks (like themed mugs, bottle openers etc) in with the comics and trades. Surely that would be a total winner!!

AAAAAaaand I just described my dream set up.

When I was a kid all of the Barber Shops had comic books along with other

magazines for you to read while waiting. That's why I never bought too many

JUNGLE, JUMBO, WINGS or other FICTION HOUSE COMICS as they were

the majority of titles available because I believe they were thought of as more

adult than some of the other titles.

I should also add that the Store Manager of the A&P around the corner would give

me the month old copies of WOMEN'S DAY AND FAMILY CIRCLE which I in turn

would sell for 5 cents apiece to the BEAUTY PARLOR'S in the neighborhood.

mm

When I was a kid. There were always comic books to read in the barber shop. Often people would bring in stacks to "donate" to the shop. Our barber allowed us to "trade" comics when we came in for a haircut. We could bring in two or three and trade them for two or three of his.I remember going in one day and there was a small pile of comics from the late 1940's so I was able to trade for three of them (DC's I believe). Next time I went in they were gone...

I always thought it would be cool to open a comic themed bar. I would call it "The Funny Pages" and have a ton of framed comics and art all over the walls. Maybe a display case or two of toys. It ain't gonna happen but it would be a fun idea.

I really think you should research and do a business plan. Throwing out a few different ideas and asking what we think could be a recipe for disaster. Owning a business is tough work, most don't make it pass the first year or make money in the first 3. Do what you love and plan.

Now after all that I would love to go to a comic themed barber shop lol. I wish you luck with it, if you do open something like that I would love to see a follow up post with pictures.

I really think you should research and do a business plan. Throwing out a few different ideas and asking what we think could be a recipe for disaster. Owning a business is tough work, most don't make it pass the first year or make money in the first 3. Do what you love and plan.

Now after all that I would love to go to a comic themed barber shop lol. I wish you luck with it, if you do open something like that I would love to see a follow up post with pictures.

If numbers don't look right

Then it won't be done.

Just wondering what I could do different with it.

& maybe add some of my hobby to the mix...

My grandfather had a barber shop when I was a kid & every month or 2 he'd give me money to go down to the grocery store & buy new comics for the store. He'd have me get some that I liked (superheroes) & some of the "other ones" which at the time was mostly Archie & Harvey titles. I always got to be the first one to read them in the shop & by the time he wanted a new batch they were pretty beat up so apparently they were a popular item.