• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

None of those are the two characters which appear to be featured (more than cameos) based on the trailer and certain comments made in the media.  I am thinking of two characters who have not been in movies since before the turn of this century, but who have a significant following such that their role in this movie would delight their fan bases and might lead to demand.  And, yes, I'm being cagey and trying to see if anyone reaches the same conclusion I do.  Both appeared in U.S. comics that came out in the 90s (maybe 80s and 90s for one character), and those are what I'd expect to see have a bump.

I guess I'm not seeing them....

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/908765-ready-player-one-trailer-easter-eggs#/slide/1

9 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I like the lenticular cover for Thanos 13.  They are starting to be gobbled up though.

Thanks to all that responded. 

I finally read who Cosmic GR is.  Quite surprised.  Feels weird, but I want to see where it goes. 

Patrick

23 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I'm wondering if this reveal is a ruse....he's a little too chatty for that character.

I don't know. After looking at his outfit, you can see a big hat tip to the classic get up.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:17 PM, Mapleleafvann said:

I'm wondering if this reveal is a ruse....he's a little too chatty for that character.

Something happened. We will learn next issue.

Lets not forget though, he's from the future.

IMG_6662.JPG

Edited by ygogolak

18 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

I don't know. After looking at his outfit, you can see a big hat tip to the classic get up.

Very true....but I remain suspicious of some elements of that costume.  To me, it also points in another character's direction.  Time will tell....but well done by Mr. Cates!

17 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:
17 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

I was pulling for Alf, but Groo would have been fine with me, too.

Now you're being silly...

Alf is not even a Marvel property

Neither is Groo.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, and based off of the other anime based movies out or coming out, I wouldn't put too much stock in an Akira #1.

Ok, so we got one figured out (with help), but even after watching the easter egg trailer and the list you linked I;m still lost on the second one.

46 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, and based off of the other anime based movies out or coming out, I wouldn't put too much stock in an Akira #1.

Warner owns the rights to Akira.   They plan to do a live action version.  Ready Player One is a bit of a tryout.  And based on the trailer for Ready Player One, it appears that Akira can be done well (at least visually).  

Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Warner owns the rights to Akira.   They plan to do a live action version.  Ready Player One is a bit of a tryout.  And based on the trailer for Ready Player One, it appears that Akira can be done well (at least visually).  

Make of that what you will.

Understood.

My personal opinion is that a movie wouldn't have much effect of the comic series. I'm sure it would give a temporary spike.

I'm going by a few factors:
1. There was a Ghost in the Shell movie (with an A list actress) as well as the upcoming Battle Angel Alita movie. Both books are much harder to find in comparison to Akria. Those books were already sought after and only saw a small spike.

2. The window on movie / TV speculation is closing fast as more movies are announced, changed and not put into production. I think people are less and less likely to pay above the already established market value.

Just my opinion.

Like it or not, successful movies appear to drive up prices.  Whether that is because of speculation, existing collectors becoming interested in something new, or fans of the movies discovering comics is subject to debate.  But the effect is real.  And it is more likely to impact a book that is not already inflated due to small supply and large demand.  Of course, many times what inflates also deflates.  That's sort of an inherent risk to "pre-heat speculation."  But, the point of pre-heat speculation is to identify something that might pop in the future, and I think Akira is poised to get some serious good press based on Ready Player One, and momentum that will probably make the live action movie happen this time - boosting the comic. 

The other character that I think might pop as a result of Ready Player One is a bit more surprising.