• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Definitely. I think you have to look at Netflix's big comic series like Daredevil, Punisher and some others they are losing and look at how they are trying to replace them. Nemesis could be one gritty, violent like Punisher/Daredevil as you say.

I was surprised Empress was slated for a movie and not a series. I could see that being a long form series. I snagged up some of the ratio variants for that.  

It's going to be interesting to see how well Magic Order and Umbrella Academy perform for them.

Superior is another good one. I loved the Wanted series, it needs a faithful adaptation

1 hour ago, Lonzilla said:
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 6:37 AM, Lonzilla said:

Cage Max set may get a Netflix bump.

Bloodstone #1, Elsa is going to end up on a screen somewhere

Deadpool MWAM #7 1st Lady Deadpool because Gwenpool needs a nemesis

Deadpool (2008) #19 - 1st Hit Monkey - James Gunn wants to do a movie badly

Nemesis set - Movie is coming, then it isn't, when it is again look out

Almost 3 years later. I was right on a couple of them. I still believe in Nemesis

Just wait longer.  Still potential there.

Bloodstone has been a little soft lately, but still does well enough. 

Definitely a book I enjoy.  Personally enjoy #4 for the Indiana Jones-esque cover. 

That Abnett and Lanning are a solid combo. 

Patrick

11 hours ago, 500Club said:

39 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Nemesis will be a monster

Magic Order is shaping up well.

He's not making shows of existing stories. He's making a story that is optioned before the comic comes out.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

He's not making shows of existing stories. He's making a story that is optioned before the comic comes out.

Sure he is. Jupiter's Legacy and American Jesus are being made into series first. They were already announced.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You forgot Empress and Huck. I'm sure there will be 10 Millar shows on Netflix soon.

Yeah, movies on those, not series. I had said earlier I was surprised Empress was a movie. It seemed like it would make a good series, but who knows. I've enjoyed what I've read on it so far. I'm 3/4 through book one. 

I haven't read Huck, American Jesus or Jupiter's Legacy.

Edited by kevhtx

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I really liked Reborn. I hope they make a movie or series of that. When Capullo was here in Dallas, at his panel, he hinted that it was gonna happen.

Do you not think this is too many options? Reborn is a step under Saga in terms of complexity / cost to make a show or movie.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Do you not think this is too many options? Reborn is a step under Saga in terms of complexity / cost to make a show or movie.

Maybe. They optioned it though and when you read it, it reads like it was written for the screen and not a comic book imo. Almost like when Millar wrote it, he was already thinking movie/series.

Netflix has cash. They did Lost in Space (no comment on the quality of that) so if they get the right cast/writers/direction, I bet they spend the money on it. In the end, they have to spend money to replace the Disney content they are losing. It is a big chunk of their business.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:
20 hours ago, 500Club said:

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Nemesis will be a monster

Magic Order is shaping up well.

I thought Netflix bought his whole catalog?

51 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They did, besides the obvious ones. So why is he creating new properties for Netflix shows?

I follow Millar on Instagram as well, and when he was posting about the Magic Order and his other new book, I noticed that he says that the new things he's making are under a "netflix" imprint.  So is netflix now producing comics as well?  or is it kind of like being a producer in a movie by writing a big check?

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

They did, besides the obvious ones. So why is he creating new properties for Netflix shows?

It was my understanding that they didn't just buy his catalog, but acquired his company, Millarworld. I would think now, it basically is like a partnership where Netflix possibly has a major stake and he still has a minor stake of it. I'm just speculating on how its set up, but I had read they acquired it.

16 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

It was my understanding that they didn't just buy his catalog, but acquired his company, Millarworld. I would think now, it basically is like a partnership where Netflix possibly has a major stake and he still has a minor stake of it. I'm just speculating on how its set up, but I had read they acquired it.

I think you're correct on this---Netflix acquired the whole company.  Millar even publicly commented on how he is an employee now---nothing more.  

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I think you're correct on this---Netflix acquired the whole company.  Millar even publicly commented on how he is an employee now---nothing more.  

Yeah, I would bet he kept a stake in the company, but a minor piece. He is basically their employee, but him having a stake in it would be beneficial for Netflix. I am sure he got paid a ton though.

2 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Yeah, I would bet he kept a stake in the company, but a minor piece. He is basically their employee, but him having a stake in it would be beneficial for Netflix. I am sure he got paid a ton though.

Oh yeah----I'm sure he was very well compensated but this also had ramifications for the industry.  As soon as the news broke that Netflix acquired Millarworld, Disney publicly released that they were starting their own streaming service.  I'm certain that they were evaluating that avenue for a while....but this just turns up the heat on the race for content.  Content that can be branded and expanded even more so.

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Oh yeah----I'm sure he was very well compensated but this also had ramifications for the industry.  As soon as the news broke that Netflix acquired Millarworld, Disney publicly released that they were starting their own streaming service.  I'm certain that they were evaluating that avenue for a while....but this just turns up the heat on the race for content.  Content that can be branded and expanded even more so.

I believe Netflix buying Millarworld was completely in response to what Disney was planning. They already knew and were preparing. Disney's response? Let's buy Fox. Netflix won't be able to compete if they try to act like Disney. They need to continue to focus on what made them successful and that's original content. Hopefully, they see that in Millarworld and it will be successful.