• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

the hood #1 -first hood

inhuman #1 first lash,inferno

inhuman #4 first reader, ISo

teen titans #39 miss martian

all new invaders #6 radiance

all new x-men #1 tempus

new warriors vol 5 # 6 fume

inhumans #5 -naja

batman #2 -first talon

infinity #4 1st thane

mighty avengers #4 quickfire

what shocks me most about this list is that there have been 5 volumes of new warriors.

I know, you'd figure with the reboots they'd be on 8 or 9 by now

:jokealert:

marvel killed the run collector with all of these volumes. +1

the hood #1 -first hood

all new x-men #1 tempus

inhumans #5 -naja

batman #2 -first talon

infinity #4 1st thane

I'm buying Inhuman #1 and love Tempus. I thought New Avengers #10 was the 1st Thane. I read that run and enjoyed but now I've got to go back and see which came first... hm

Either way, I see him as an important player in the future.

infinity #4 1st thane

Actually, New Avengers #10 Vol. 3 :whistle:

Really? not to start any issues. but its a weak 1-2 panel shot of a random boy in New avengers #10..in Infinity #4 18 days later, he is named Thane, with a partial origin and turns into a nasty powerful inhuman. ala. x-men 201/ new mutants #87 Infinity #4 is the first full appearance of Thane and I did read it. I would definitely call New avengers #10 a cameo. Just my opinion.

Edited by paul747

As a Thane speculator collector myself, and a lover of him being Cosmically Enhanced via Black Vortex, I agree with it being a cameo level appearance, but even the marvel Wiki shows NA #10 as his 1st. Infinity #4 is where he becomes AWESOME. (ER).

As a Thane speculator collector myself, and a lover of him being Cosmically Enhanced via Black Vortex, I agree with it being a cameo level appearance, but even the marvel Wiki shows NA #10 as his 1st. Infinity #4 is where he becomes AWESOME. (ER).
Wiki got this one wrong ! yea I agree he is a bad !

What do guys think about Agents of Alas (Vol.1) #4, first modern appearance of Namora? Worth picking up? I don't think she will be in TV shows/movies soon. But, she can make an appearance in movies/shows down the road.
I am not a fan of ret-con , original appearances are better in the long run. I think?

Thane is cool as hell and can really blow up if he is used in the rite way. Both books are certainly key Thane issues. All the 1st full and cameo and brief app. is confusing to me. I just kinda go with Handbook, over street, and cgc though at times I would disagree also. Ah hell! I leave it to the experts.mdb

The books that I think will increase in value include

We Can Never Go Home (every first print, and first print variant, big things for this title)

Paper Girls (the response to this title has been very positive)

A-force (should Singularity be fleshed out and gain some popularity, that Hans variant would probably become more sought after)

New Mutants 26 (first full legion)

Amazing Spider-Man 4 (Cindy moon Silk)

Captain America 360 (have you seen that leaked trailer footage? crossbones looks really cool)

Guardians of knowhere Gwenom variant (only a matter of time before this idea arrives in a story)

Southern Bastards (of all the optioned television shows, I think this has the best chance to gain an audience)

Spider-Gwen 2 vol. 2 (I think this is the first full appearance of the captain America from Earth-65)

Thunderbolts 45 (citizen v)

Uncanny Avengers vol. 3 #1 (that Campbell variant could be very pricey, should the Shredded Man or Synapse stick around)

Contest of Champions (I think this is the best speculation comic, as far as the new Marvel characters is concerned. Both Guillotine and White Fox could be popular, as they both had some intriguing character concepts that I think will find them an audience.

What do guys think about Agents of Alas (Vol.1) #4, first modern appearance of Namora? Worth picking up? I don't think she will be in TV shows/movies soon. But, she can make an appearance in movies/shows down the road.

Sub-Mariner #33 is the one you want for Namora. 1st appearance since the Golden Age.

the hood #1 -first hood

all new x-men #1 tempus

inhumans #5 -naja

batman #2 -first talon

infinity #4 1st thane

I'm buying Inhuman #1 and love Tempus. I thought New Avengers #10 was the 1st Thane. I read that run and enjoyed but now I've got to go back and see which came first... hm

Either way, I see him as an important player in the future.

Inhuman #4 is a good one as well. all of the latest inhuman run where also lower print runs.

My top three that I have been picking up whenever I see em cheap or cheaper are

Batman Sword of Azrael 1 (1st Azrael)

Longshot 1 - (1st Longshot & Spiral)

Preacher 13 - (1st Herr Starr)

and the biggest sleeper to me is Amazing Spiderman 30 - (1st Morlun and Campbell cover)

My top three that I have been picking up whenever I see em cheap or cheaper are

Batman Sword of Azrael 1 (1st Azrael)

Longshot 1 - (1st Longshot & Spiral)

Preacher 13 - (1st Herr Starr)

and the biggest sleeper to me is Amazing Spiderman 30 - (1st Morlun and Campbell cover)

Dont lose your Mojo and add Longshot #3 to that list

ASM #30 is another big one for me.. Sold 5 for 30.00 each this year

Edited by Aweandlorder

I have a question for everybody :

Which would make a book hot(ter)??

a high profile artist doing the book or cover???

OR a major storyline shake-up?? Death or 1st appearance???

Personally, I'd say it's "case by case" factoring in all elements.

BUT, generally, I'd say "1st Appearance" trumps all other factors in most cases.

The "Death" is generally not permanent, and short of the "Death of Green Goblin / Gwen Stacy" and "Death of Phoenix" there's really not a lot of solid values in characters who are killed off only to later get resurrected, including from a comic book valuation standpoint "The Death of Superman", which was over printed and the most recent "Death of Captain America", "Death of the Human Torch", and "Death of Wolverine" releases.

The storyline shake-up, is more about the story, but even then you'll still not see huge price surges on good arcs like Kraven's Last Hunt, Hush, Identity Crisis, etc. for the most part, in part because I think good stories with then impactful changes (like Spider-Man revealing his identity during Civil War) are subsequently unwoven and redone by new creative teams.

So, in that way a "1st Appearance" can never really change ('tho I did read somewhere that there was a character that appeared in an old 1960's Amazing Spider-Man issue that they're now using as a "by the way, that was this person here that's being debuted" in that cameo type role.

As far as high profile artists doing books and covers. If judging the cover, it has to be short printed, like the Campbell ones of recent. They don't have to be great renderings nor popular characters per se. If judging the interiors, it has to be good storytelling. Look at Jim Lee's Batman "Hush" values vs his work shortly thereafter on "Superman", so it's not just about the name of an artist. I'd not hold too much value on cover art by artists 'tho, as they're becoming essentially pin-ups (having nearly nothing to do with the interior story as a tied theme). And, once one cover comes out, another one is on the way after that, maybe better, maybe more scarce. So, the volatility of buying based on cover art is high if you're buying the comic book, but if you're buying original art, it's probably the smartest of buys.

I'll play.

Here are some of the books IMO that are undervalued, that I still "speculation buy" for cover or less in the wild.

Disclaimer: I am well-stocked on all of the books listed, so yes, pump pump pump...

Teen titans 8 - 1st Ravager - Rose Wilson

Cheers!

1st Rose Wilson - Ravager II is Deathstroke 15.

1st Grant Wilson - Ravager is New Teen Titans 1.