• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

I have a question for everybody :

Which would make a book hot(ter)??

a high profile artist doing the book or cover???

OR a major storyline shake-up?? Death or 1st appearance???

Some of the things that I look for are a 1st appearance, because they could become popular 20 seconds or 20 years after they are introduced and when a new artist or writer starts on a series (like Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane).

I also try to look for characters and storylines that I think fans and collectors will be interested in 30 years from now. Comics from the big 2 like Marvel and DC seem to always be a good investment in the long run for me. Not saying that some of the independents aren't good investments, just saying that IMO, for the most part, they don't seem to have staying power like the characters from Marvel and DC do.

Marvel and DC have been around for awhile and I don't see them or their characters fading away anytime soon, especially with Disney owning Marvel now. With a company like Disney owning Marvel you can bet that they will be trying to introduce every new generation of fans and collectors to their characters in one form or another.

Something else I look for is oddities in the market. Something like a newsstand version of a comic with a $1 price variance (or any price variance) over the direct edition like on the DC comics that are out now. In the past the Marvel comics with a price variance seem to be more valuable, but only time will tell with these new DC newsstand vs direct editions.

I also look for out of the ordinary things like the Rub & Smell cannabis editions of the Harley Quinn book that came out last year. You would think that in this PC world that we live in today if that comic with its marketing gimmick of Rub & Smell cannabis would have caught the medias attention like Superman 75 did years ago that it would have caused more than a little bit of controversy.

What do guys think about Agents of Alas (Vol.1) #4, first modern appearance of Namora? Worth picking up? I don't think she will be in TV shows/movies soon. But, she can make an appearance in movies/shows down the road.

Sub-Mariner #33 is the one you want for Namora. 1st appearance since the Golden Age.

Excellent Sub-Mariner 33 reccomendation. This issue was a minor silver/bronze key in the early 1990s, no reason it shouldn't be regarded much higher.

I'll play.

Here are some of the books IMO that are undervalued, that I still "speculation buy" for cover or less in the wild.

Disclaimer: I am well-stocked on all of the books listed, so yes, pump pump pump...

Batman 21 - 1st Duke Thomas

Batman Eternal 9 -1st Julia Pennyworth

Superman Adventures 1 - 1st Mercy Graves

Earth 2 19 - 1st Val Zod

El Diablo 1 (2008) 1st Chato Santana

Green arrow 12/13 - 1st Onomatopoeia

Teen titans 8 - 1st Ravager - Rose Wilson

Teen Titans 26 - 1st Terra

Avengers Academy 21 - 1st White Tiger / Ava Ayala

New Avengers 4 - 1st Maria Hill

Young Avengers 1 and 5/6/10 - 1st Kate Bishop / 1st cover(s)

Cable 3 - 1st Weasel

Black Panther 2 1st Shuri

Captain Britain and MI13 1 and 11 - 1st Faiza Hussain / Excalibur

Captain Marvel 16/17 -1st Phayla-vell

Adan Legend of Blue Marvel #1 - 1st Adam Brashear / Blue Marvel

Dakota North 1 - 1st Dakota North

MCP 118 - 1st Doom 2099

Marvel Point One - 1st Sam Alexander

Punisher 64 - 1st Outlaw

Runaways 1 and 2 (vol 2) - 1st Victor Mancha

Secret Warriors 7 - 1st Manifold / Edin Fessi

Star Brand 1 - 1st Star Brand

Amazing Spider-man 565 - 1st Kraven's daughter

Venom 38/ 39 - 1st Mania

Vengeance 1 - 1st America Chavez

New X-men 117 - 1st Glob Herman

New X-Men 134 - 1st Quentin Quire

Avengers Arena 1 - 1st Death Locket

Thor annual 18 - 1st Flame

Thunderbolts 45-50 - 1st Citizen V John Watkins III

New Avengers 16 - 1st "Great Society/ Squadron Supreme" Doctor Spectrum

Cheers!

Impressive list. I'll be adding some to my search list.

One sneaking out the shelves with no variant is Bombshells #4 (1940's Bombshell Universe Harley Quinn), watch this one for future heat, especially if the Bombshells do well after the series is over.

Doctor Strange the Oath #1 1st Nicodemus West

ANADMNPO #1 Marquez Variant with 1st Cover appearance of X-23 as Wolverine in Wolverine Garb.

Alias 22-23 ORIGIN of Jessica Jones

Ultimate Fantastic Four #21 & 22 (Plus 21 Variant) 1st Marvel Zombies

A-Next #10 1st (Full) Hope Pym

Ninjak #4 Origin of Roku

Avengers #0 Art Adams 1:25 (Deadpool joins the Avengers).

Ultimates #1 1:50 Art Adams Galactus Variant (THIS BOOK SHOULD BE A HIT)

S.H.I.E.L.D. #9 Kirby 1:50 Color Variant or Sketch 1:75. It's MF'n Jack Kirby, that's why!

All things related to Justice League Darkseid War, the one shots included.

I have more, but this should get you started.

My top three that I have been picking up whenever I see em cheap or cheaper are

Batman Sword of Azrael 1 (1st Azrael)

Longshot 1 - (1st Longshot & Spiral)

Preacher 13 - (1st Herr Starr)

and the biggest sleeper to me is Amazing Spiderman 30 - (1st Morlun and Campbell cover)

Dont lose your Mojo and add Longshot #3 to that list

ASM #30 is another big one for me.. Sold 5 for 30.00 each this year

Mojo totally forgot that one, yeah the whole 6 issue story line is worth picking up on the down low.

and the biggest sleeper to me is Amazing Spiderman 30 - (1st Morlun and Campbell cover)

Where did you sell these? There was recently a CGC 9.6 that sold for $22 + shipping and a CGC 9.8 that sold for $44 + shipping.

Edited by ygogolak

I'll play.

Here are some of the books IMO that are undervalued, that I still "speculation buy" for cover or less in the wild.

Disclaimer: I am well-stocked on all of the books listed, so yes, pump pump pump...

Cheers!

1st Rose Wilson - Ravager II is Deathstroke 15.

1st Grant Wilson - Ravager is New Teen Titans 1.

Deathstroke 15 - 1st Rose Wilson

Teen Titans 8 (2003) - 1st Rose Wilson as Ravager.

Cheers.

If I had to pick one book to move off the under $5 list it would be Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel #1. Low print run, great character, mighty avengers was a great read, and soon to get much more exposure leading the New Ultimates with Captain Marvel and America Chavez.

Cheers!

I'll play.

Cheers!

Cheers.

Ah, if you're going that route, I believe issue #1/2 came out before #8 and also features her on the cover.

One sneaking out the shelves with no variant is Bombshells #4 (1940's Bombshell Universe Harley Quinn), watch this one for future heat, especially if the Bombshells do well after the series is over.

Doctor Strange the Oath #1 1st Nicodemus West

ANADMNPO #1 Marquez Variant with 1st Cover appearance of X-23 as Wolverine in Wolverine Garb.

Alias 22-23 ORIGIN of Jessica Jones

Ultimate Fantastic Four #21 & 22 (Plus 21 Variant) 1st Marvel Zombies

A-Next #10 1st (Full) Hope Pym

Ninjak #4 Origin of Roku

Avengers #0 Art Adams 1:25 (Deadpool joins the Avengers).

Ultimates #1 1:50 Art Adams Galactus Variant (THIS BOOK SHOULD BE A HIT)

S.H.I.E.L.D. #9 Kirby 1:50 Color Variant or Sketch 1:75. It's MF'n Jack Kirby, that's why!

All things related to Justice League Darkseid War, the one shots included.

I have more, but this should get you started.

GREAT pick on the Justice League: Darkseid War books!!! I'm loving Grail and Myrina Black and I expect more from them, especially Grail!

Where did you sell these? There was recently a CGC 9.6 that sold for $22 + shipping and a CGC 9.8 that sold for $44 + shipping.

This book got a bump this year due to speculation on a Morlun appearance as a villain in a Kevin Feige spidey film. I think I moved most of them during that time. It wasnt exactly heating up, and still isnt, but it could fetch a good price in NM... A listing popped up just a few days ago, seller had 4 of them for 7 bucks a pop, I sent him a message regarding combining shipping and before seller had a chance to reply they were all sold that evening. Def a book that people keep their eyes on.

I'll play.

Cheers!

Cheers.

Ah, if you're going that route, I believe issue #1/2 came out before #8 and also features her on the cover.

Yes, the Wizard 1/2 is a weird one....

The 1/2 story falls between Titans 6 and 7, and has " a ravager" on the cover, but we don't find out who that person is on the 1/2 cover until she puts on the costume and introduces herself as Ravager two months later at the end of issue 8. CGC labels issue 8 as 1st Rose Wilson as Ravager.

Cheers!

If I had to pick one book to move off the under $5 list it would be Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel #1. Low print run, great character, mighty avengers was a great read, and soon to get much more exposure leading the New Ultimates with Captain Marvel and America Chavez.

Cheers!

+1000000000... BUT LAST COUPLE HAVE GONE FOR 20 PLUS.. great PICK ! I was lucky enough to grab a 9.9 on the cheap a while back. low print as well.

Lets add Skaar son of hulk to the list.

Edited by paul747

This is not a 5.00 book nor is it a modern but it is highly undervalued. Ladies and Gentleman...Eternals 11st series. Ok its not new news that this book is undervalue and I am aware of the high print numbers of Bronse age 1st issues. This is a Kirby art, Kirby story book. The reason I bring up this spec? Well I have a strong belief that "Ike" Ikaris the Eternal may be Peter's father in the cinimatic marvel U. I know...I know. Everybody thinks Starhawk and his 1st has sky rocketed. Why do i say Ikaris? The Nova corp said his DNA is mixed with "something very ancient they have never seen befor" Starhawk is not from the past but from the far future. Ikaris is an Eternal and they are "the ancient race of humans made by the Celestials". We know Thanos is an Eternal and the Celestials have already been mentioned in Gardians. Ikaris was on earth in the Late 70's waiting for the 2nd comming of the Celestials. I Would say by Peters age and era of his music..he was born in the late 70s. Ikaris is fair skinned with blond hair and his power is cosmic based and includes a "light" type of energy blast that can be produced in his body making him glow and shoot energy from his hands. Peters mom reffered to his father being like an angel..a being of pure light. Yes Ikaris can also fly "angel like". This took some pondering..I didnt just pull it of the scec tree in my back yard.

I think Captain America #25 will go up in value after Civil War. hm

Once a trailer drops youll see the Infinity gauntlet affect on all those civil war tie ins. Now's a great time to buy cheap.. just for example, civil war 9.8/60.00 x 3 is in my opinion a very decent price for a book that IS SELLING for 100 - 120 on ocassion now, and will probably sell for 120+ when such a trailer comes out

I think Captain America #25 will go up in value after Civil War. hm

Once a trailer drops youll see the Infinity gauntlet affect on all those civil war tie ins. Now's a great time to buy cheap.. just for example, civil war 9.8/60.00 x 3 is in my opinion a very decent price for a book that IS SELLING for 100 - 120 on ocassion now, and will probably sell for 120+ when such a trailer comes out

The civil war sketch variants will get out of control