• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Isn't rarity coming into play though if the book has to be 9.8 to get the $100+?  Do raw issues go for that much?

Then thats the whole hobby. Of course we want the best quality book. Again, main reason its being purchased is the cover. So, the cover is driving the sale. I think the rarity of the books is a given. Of course we want them to be rare.

And yes, Catwoman 51 in NM+ and NM/M go for over $100+ raw. Im sure some other Hughes books do too.

11 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

When looking at a cover, and buying for a "cool cover", I look at the character as being part of that (if the character is in the art of the cover). I think Adam Hughes covers are probably great examples of covers that are good values for non-ratio variants that the cover drives the price. I collect Hughes books simply for the covers. Many are worth over $100+ in 9.8 condition. Simply put, there are covers that drive sales. But, I agree that most covers that drive sales and increase in value are ratio variants/exclusives. A big reason those are purchased those (personal experience) is because of the covers.

There are artists whose books really do sell based on the art and not the character.  Dave Stevens and Bernie Wrightson come to mind.  There is demand for their covers and it doesn't matter what the title is or who the cover characters are.  Adam Hughes may be one of those artists.  Has he done any indy work and how do those issues sell?

10 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

As always, boobs and good girl art covers do extremely well in the market.  This has been going on for 70+ years now.  Hughes and Campbell know what they are doing. 

Boobs and good girl art has been doing well in art for thousands of years.

I wish people would stop bringing up the point that 'cool covers' have always made books collectible. Yes, they have, and a cool cover book that sells for a few hundred dollars in high grade doesn't even turn anyone's head. But mentioning those type of 'cool cover' books in threads where people are primarily talking about modern variants that have an ask price of thousands of dollars... they just aren't the same animal.

1 minute ago, rjrjr said:

There are artists whose books really do sell based on the art and not the character.  Dave Stevens and Bernie Wrightson come to mind.  There is demand for their covers and it doesn't matter what the title is or who the cover characters are.  Adam Hughes may be one of those artists.  Has he done any indy work and how do those issues sell?

I don't disagree with that. Your absolutely right. Im sure Ive bought based on that. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Edited by kevhtx

4 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

JSC, Hughes, Ross, McFarlane, Stevens, Wrightson, Adams (both), etc ... those names absolutely sell books.

And for the record, I do enjoy some of Dell'Otto's covers, I think I've been pretty clear I'm a fan, but he certainly isn't in the same category as some of the names from the list.

12 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

The publishers or Dell'Otto knows this, otherwise why not put him on the standard cover and sell more copies, right?  (I am agreeing with you.)

It doesn't work like that. The artist gets to choose if they want to do standard covers. I know for a fact that they turn down some standard covers because there isn't enough money in it. Ive heard them say it. I would bet the publishers want them to do more, but they don't always get their way. Im sure budget comes into play as well.

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

JSC, Hughes, Ross, McFarlane, Stevens, Wrightson, Adams (both), etc ... those names absolutely sell books.

And for the record, I do enjoy some of Dell'Otto's covers, I think I've been pretty clear I'm a fan, but he certainly isn't in the same category as some of the names from the list.

Im the one who brought him up. I simply was using his books as an example of a cover that I liked and a book that had some value (X-23 #1). I wasn't placing him in the top tier list of artists. I am a fan and think he does great work.

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Im the one who brought him up. I simply was using his books as an example of a cover that I liked and a book that had some value (X-23 #1). I wasn't placing him in the top tier list of artists. I am a fan and think he does great work.

I didn't mean to imply you were, sorry for the confusion. I was just giving my opinion of where he is.

37 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I don't believe Del'Otto has a single non incentive/variant cover that is valuable.  Not sure then if he is really this high profile guy like everyone wants him to be.  It is convenient to call him a great artist when you have him doing some ultra rare cover, but his general work nothing stands out.  Seems like more hawking.

All the X-Force Sex & Violence plus these command a few bucks.

SEP062173B_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

EPSON004.JPG

Vengeance_Vol_1_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

All the X-Force Sex & Violence plus these command a few bucks.

SEP062173B_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

EPSON004.JPG

Vengeance_Vol_1_1.jpg

Isn't that Ultimate Alliance a video game insert or something? That one probably doesn't belong, but the other three seem reasonable.

The others seem to go for reasonable amounts when talking about cover-driven books.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

Isn't that Ultimate Alliance a video game insert or something? That one probably doesn't belong, but the other three seem reasonable.

The others seem to go for reasonable amounts when talking about cover-driven books.

Yes, video game. Honestly, 2 of those are really because of first appearances.

He also has a number of foreign comics with different covers. While these are considered variants to us, they are regular print if you live in Europe. That Batman / Joker cover does pretty dang well.

Just now, Broke as a Joke said:

The Secret War 2 only goes for money because it is the first appearance of Quake from the Shield TV show.  The Marvel Alliance is a video game promotion.  The Iron Fist says variant on the cover.  The Vengeance 1 is also a first appearance driven book.  Try again.

I'm good, thanks.

15 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

The Secret War 2 only goes for money because it is the first appearance of Quake from the Shield TV show.  The Marvel Alliance is a video game promotion.  The Iron Fist says variant on the cover.  The Vengeance 1 is also a first appearance driven book.  Try again.

I wasn't aware of Secret Wars 2 or Vengeance 1 having significance, too much C/D list characters suddenly becoming important these days to keep track of.

I knew the Iron Fist was a variant, but it isn't one of the uber rare so I didn't mention it. I think it is likely driven by the cover more than anything else... unless some D-lister that is now on a tv show is in it, in which case I give up.

1 minute ago, Lego said:

doh!

1. I don't necessarily disagree.

2. Why does it matter if it's a variant or not?

3. How much time is it worth spending for someone who has made up their mind when I literally gain nothing from it.

31 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

1. I don't necessarily disagree.

2. Why does it matter if it's a variant or not?

3. How much time is it worth spending for someone who has made up their mind when I literally gain nothing from it.

Everyone knows you don't argue with someone on the internet, you argue for all of the undecideds or new readers. That is Internet Arguing 101 :gossip:

19 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I like CBaileypacker's picks. He always picks cool books. But that's all it is. And that's why this thread is not "moderns heating up". It's just a spec thread. 

Some books may be listed here with some sort of spec value that relates to character development or property licensing possibilities, some may just list a cool variant with spec possibilities. 

I'd like to hear from CBailey himself as to why he picked those books. 

I also agree that a hot looking cover doesn't necessarily make a book jump in value. Certainly a trending artist coupled w good cover, low dist, & maybe hot character MAY make for good spec material. But in honesty there are many hot looking variants/covers that a LCS will sell off the gate for $50+ and will actually lose value within days. 

So: hot cover+hype+low cost makes for a good spec. And even that doesn't work out all the time

Jezz, you post some of the books you have been hunting and then...

Thanks Aweandlorder

I believe I have said this before, but...

I collect and enjoy comics in three ways overall:

1) I read books.  Alot.

2) Second and foremost, I collect original art.  Rule of 2 with the wife: only one, we keep it (art, yellow label ss/sketch).  More than one copy? sell it and search for the other one (comics). Thanks to this rule, I own some OA that i have no business owning at that price...

3) In between, I play the market and make small investments on 1st appearances and under appreciated variants IMO.  This stems from my old high school days collecting sports cards (ugh, I know, it was a sickness)  some of that small time investments in undervalued rookies and up and coming stars carried over to my comic collecting.  Difference is Spider-man isn't real, and wont go shoot up a club and destroy any value or career.  Slabs are just big baseball cards anyway right? (sorry, had to go there...)

I look for characters that are up and coming that I enjoy, and believe others will as well, and that are also being pushed by the publisher.  I literally look forward to combing through previews to see what characters are being pushed by Marvel and DC on that publisher level.  They cant force you to like anything, but if they are trying, then i'm buying.  (looking at you Moon Girl, not my favorite, but Marvel loves her, so I rode the train, and those 23 copies I bought of issue 1 variant last year for under $10 bucks look really nice now (thumbsu). 

For variants, I look for underappreciated awesome covers or artists I like, that may have been looked over on a wednesday, or even years ago, due to timing, or another "$100 out the gate on wednesday variant".  love those Wednesdays, as everyone is chasing some Adi Granov Elektra 1 variant, and I'm picking multiple copies on the cheap of Checchetto and Torque variants ( yes, my two favorite under appreciated cover artists right now).  Heck, Arthur Adams is hot again and has moved into what seems to be exclusive cover work, lots of under the radar variants/covers that are just as good as ones of Wanda, Emma, and Majik.  Take a look, that Doom FF variant from about six years ago is great. Only one VF on the bay if your interested....

I also ALWAYS put my $$$ where my mouth is.  When i post here, I do not hide the fact that these are books i have ALREADY been buying stacks of for myself.  Now that I got mine, I'm looking if anyone else feels the same.  I already have spent the $$ and have 5-10 high grade copies of all the variants I already posted this round.  All for under $10 give or take.  Its what this thread is for, right?  Its not that much $$ either, as all it takes is one of the twenty characters i like to blow up, pays for all the other 19 straight up and more! When Fantomex hit before Uncanny dropped like 6 years ago i was well over 100 copies before it even hit $10.  Made enough on that move to fund the next few years of speculation.

You can go back through and see my 1st app picks in this thread previously.  when I post in this thread in the past about new character like Blue Marvel, Fantomex, America Chavez, I am already on the train and its cool when people also agree and they become hot as predicted.  If not, whatever, I bought them cuz i like them.  I win far more than lose.  If you guys wanna help a brother out, my short box of Marvel Boy and Quinten Quire are ready when you are...

Cheers, and happy hunting.

Edited by cbaileypacker