• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

Hell, I've been to a ton of shops that never took Spawn #1 off the wall as at least a $5 book, even when it was at it's lowest. $10 for a book these days - as @the authority rightly mentions - is not a lot when some books cost half that on Wednesday.

My level of surprise for Spawn #1 will be it maintaining $20+ prices going into the future. 

People thinking it is a smart buy now at the right price probably aren't wrong.

I'd have to agree with the $10 - $15 being an easy to maintain price point on nice NM/NM+ copies.  The $20 average price could happen but my gut tells me the supply will kill any momentum above that unless it's a 9.8 contender.  I'm having a hard time selling my CGC 9.8 for some reason but I'm holding steady in the $85 range with a bunch of low ball offers.  But raw high grade copies still pop up at every Con I'm at for $5 and they sell easy for $15.  Just a great cover of a popular character - can't beat the buying power of that combo.

Spawn #1 also has a 25th Anniversary reprint coming out in a few months.  Covers by Crain, Wood and McFarlane if I'm not mistaken.  Could be pretty good little sellers if most stores under-order.  Which is a BIG maybe.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:31 PM, the authority said:

I buy EVERY single Spawn book I see ( VF or better ) out of $1 bins. I love the covers and unlike a lot of people, loved the story. How cool was it to see a guy with massive power who loses a some of it every time he uses it ? Fun book with some cool and some really weird bad guys. Even the hero is a bad guy. lol

Also, Spawn has all these spin offs which are really solid books. Spawn Kills Everyone #1 just hit 3rd print w a cool Mcfarlane cover which kinda looks more like a Skotty Young cover if you're asking me but that's just one example. So many others...

20 hours ago, gradejunky said:

Spawn #1 also has a 25th Anniversary reprint coming out in a few months.  Covers by Crain, Wood and McFarlane if I'm not mistaken.  Could be pretty good little sellers if most stores under-order.  Which is a BIG maybe.

:headbang:

18 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Also, Spawn has all these spin offs which are really solid books. Spawn Kills Everyone #1 just hit 3rd print w a cool Mcfarlane cover which kinda looks more like a Skotty Young cover if you're asking me but that's just one example. So many others...

The 3rd print cover is another Kirby.
https://mcfarlane.com/blog/the-bloodbath-continues-spawn-kills-everyone-goes-into-third-printing/

Never looked at it closely. Can you figure out all of the hands? Spidery, blue Wolvie....

27 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

https://mcfarlane.com/blog/the-bloodbath-continues-spawn-kills-everyone-goes-into-third-printing/

Never looked at it closely. Can you figure out all of the hands? Spidery, blue Wolvie....

Thanks for correcting me and... WTH is Juvaun Kirby?? And he couldnt sign any darker on a black cover I didnt even know there was a sig on that cover it was so dark

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Thanks for correcting me and... WTH is Juvaun Kirby?? And he couldnt sign any darker on a black cover I didnt even know there was a sig on that cover it was so dark

Haha, I'm not a fan of his work. He did a1st print cover too.

6c672e0d-f1b3-4394-81d2-ee33761057a7.jpg.1823beb9c2c2c65369a23334c97b7ee9.jpg

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Haha, I'm not a fan of his work. He did a1st print cover too.

6c672e0d-f1b3-4394-81d2-ee33761057a7.jpg.1823beb9c2c2c65369a23334c97b7ee9.jpg

Well actually he prolly did a variant for the 1st print, cause on the interior of the 3rd print it gives credit to McFarlane, which is what threw me off thinking he did the cover for the 3rd print book.

While we're in a Image discussion, a few people added Regression from Cullen Bunn to their pull at the shop. 

It's been the top asked about book the last couple weeks for upcoming #1s. The premise sounds cool, and I'm thinking it wasn't ordered heavy. 

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Superman, WW and Batman as well. I believe he also goes by JJ Kirby; I got a con sketch once when I saw his stuff but have long since sold it.

10 hours ago, freecharlie said:

While we're in a Image discussion, a few people added Regression from Cullen Bunn to their pull at the shop. 

It's been the top asked about book the last couple weeks for upcoming #1s. The premise sounds cool, and I'm thinking it wasn't ordered heavy. 

Cullen Bunn has been slowly creeping up into 'must buy' territory for me with the likes of Ellis, Alan Moore, Rucka, etc. 

Edited by Hekla
Effort to make statement succinct

Here is a pick - Preacher 8 & 13.  Preacher is ice cold right now and the 1st season was only ok but they concentrated way too much on the set up and didn't stick to the -script.  I'm thinking people are going to really like the Grandma story line and get invested in the plot if they can properly show it on tv.  Star may not be cool on the small screen but who know if he will get picked up as a popular Cos-Play character and become a hit.  I really don't think we have heard the last of the Preacher hits.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Here is a pick - Preacher 8 & 13.  Preacher is ice cold right now and the 1st season was only ok but they concentrated way too much on the set up and didn't stick to the --script.  I'm thinking people are going to really like the Grandma story line and get invested in the plot if they can properly show it on tv.  Star may not be cool on the small screen but who know if he will get picked up as a popular Cos-Play character and become a hit.  I really don't think we have heard the last of the Preacher hits.

(thumbsu #13 for sure. I also like #21.

23 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Here is a pick - Preacher 8 & 13.  Preacher is ice cold right now and the 1st season was only ok but they concentrated way too much on the set up and didn't stick to the --script.  I'm thinking people are going to really like the Grandma story line and get invested in the plot if they can properly show it on tv.  Star may not be cool on the small screen but who know if he will get picked up as a popular Cos-Play character and become a hit.  I really don't think we have heard the last of the Preacher hits.

Totally agree with you.  The potential of Preacher has not been tapped yet.  Bong Boy gets 1 more season to get it right, and hopefully he does.

2 hours ago, Pinky Lee Zepplin said:

Totally agree with you.  The potential of Preacher has not been tapped yet.  Bong Boy gets 1 more season to get it right, and hopefully he does.

I really feel like once they settled into the road trip part of the story, the show will take off. It did well critically and I think it got fairly solid ratings. It may be a slow burn, but I see it doing well, and the books being a good long term hold.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I really feel like once they settled into the road trip part of the story, the show will take off. It did well critically and I think it got fairly solid ratings. It may be a slow burn, but I see it doing well, and the books being a good long term hold.

The modern tv audience like shock value and new ideas and the basic premise of Preacher is going to throw some people for a loop.  I'm not 100% sure why they decided to go with the meat god plot line for so much of the 1st season but it obviously fit better as a quick sub plot like the comics.  Hillbillies in the swamp, crazy Grandmas, massively obese priest - that is going to bring in some people looking for something new and off-beat.  I wish I had the guts to go buy more Preacher 1s since I do see it being a hit but I'm holding stead with the stack of books I've got right now and seeing how it goes.