Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
21 21

2,169 posts in this topic

9,698 posts
On 8/20/2018 at 9:50 AM, Pete Marino said:

I follow Millar on Instagram as well, and when he was posting about the Magic Order and his other new book, I noticed that he says that the new things he's making are under a "netflix" imprint.  So is netflix now producing comics as well?  or is it kind of like being a producer in a movie by writing a big check?

 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, kevhtx said:

It was my understanding that they didn't just buy his catalog, but acquired his company, Millarworld. I would think now, it basically is like a partnership where Netflix possibly has a major stake and he still has a minor stake of it. I'm just speculating on how its set up, but I had read they acquired it. 

 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:21 AM, Mapleleafvann said:

I think you're correct on this---Netflix acquired the whole company.  Millar even publicly commented on how he is an employee now---nothing more.  

Ah, so it's like when he was printing comics they were "Millarworld" and under the Image label. Just like Skybound. Now it will just be Netflix instead of Millarworld. That makes more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,349 posts
30 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

 

 

Ah, so it's like when he was printing comics they were "Millarworld" and under the Image label. Just like Skybound. Now it will just be Netflix instead of Millarworld. That makes more sense.

I think it might still be Millarworld. Usually, when these large companies buy another, the purchased still operates as its own company (Like Marvel purchased by Disney, but still uses Marvel name everywhere). They usually just purchase the majority shares of the company (even private companies have their own "shares"). I'm not a finance guy, so maybe someone else can explain better. I don't know if the terms were released for this sale.

It could possibly also have the Netflix logo or some sort of credit to Netflix though.

Edited by kevhtx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
19 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Netflix will do well with his stuff. Just those 3 below if done well will be monsters. 

Magic Order
Jupiter's Legacy 
Nemesis 

These are all mini's though. Same as Secret Service / Kingsman. So, they will have to be paying for some additional writing in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
12 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I think it might still be Millarworld. Usually, when these large companies buy another, the purchased still operates as its own company (Like Marvel purchased by Disney, but still uses Marvel name everywhere). They usually just purchase the majority shares of the company (even private companies have their own "shares"). I'm not a finance guy, so maybe someone else can explain better. I don't know if the terms were released for this sale.

It could possibly also have the Netflix logo or some sort of credit to Netflix though.

The Image website mentions Netflix, but no Millarworld for Magic Order. And it has Netflix on the back cover like it has Millarworld for the previous series.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-magic-order-1-of-6

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,349 posts
7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The Image website mentions Netflix, but no Millarworld for Magic Order. And it has Netflix on the back cover like it has Millarworld for the previous series.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-magic-order-1-of-6

 

 

It could be case by case then. All depends on if Millarworld is still its own company. It very well could be that it will go away and everything will be labeled Netflix now. A good example would be the current running comics for Millarworld. If the logos for those change to Netflix (comics without a Netflix series), that pretty much tells us the answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
2 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

It could be case by case then. All depends on if Millarworld is still its own company. It very well could be that it will go away and everything will be labeled Netflix now. A good example would be the current running comics for Millarworld. If the logos for those change to Netflix (comics without a Netflix series), that pretty much tells us the answer. 

Does he have any that are current? He usually puts out a couple issues to get it optioned and then the series dies, ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,349 posts
9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Does he have any that are current? He usually puts out a couple issues to get it optioned and then the series dies, ha.

I'm not sure. The only one that I am reading of his right now (and not to end of current ones released) is Empress and it says its "Book 1" and shows (2016-). I don't know if more are planned for that one or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,327 posts
6 hours ago, Brother J said:

Just noticed copies of Nameless #1 by Grant Morrison are being quickly purchased on eBay. I guess this news article is the reason, but it sounds far from a sure thing, mention of the series is only one of several possibilites:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/420427-bloodborne-movie-james-gunn-sony

It was interesting to start, but the ending was pretty blah to me. 

Patrick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
16 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I'm not sure. The only one that I am reading of his right now (and not to end of current ones released) is Empress and it says its "Book 1" and shows (2016-). I don't know if more are planned for that one or not.

It went to issue #7 which was released in Nov. 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,349 posts
2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It went to issue #7 which was released in Nov. 2016.

Yeah, I think the TPB is the full 8 issues (I think its 8), but its called "Book 1". So, not sure if maybe they are thinking of doing more or maybe its done. I really hope they make Reborn as a movie or short series. I know it would cost them a lot to do it, but I think it would be successful. It is a great concept and was a fun read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,231 posts

The Secret Service movies have been fantastic. Just plain old fun to watch stories. Jupiter’s Legacy could be amazing as could Jupiter’s Legacy 2. I’d rate them nearly as high as my personal favorite team books.

Stormwatch/The Authority by Ellis/Millar

Kingdom Come 

Morrison Waid JLA 

and JSA by Geoff Johns

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 posts

Lots of copies of Captain Marvel 15 moved the other day when someone posted it was the first time Captain Marvel had Binary powers.  One to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
4 hours ago, rayne5446 said:

Lots of copies of Captain Marvel 15 moved the other day when someone posted it was the first time Captain Marvel had Binary powers.  One to watch.

How is this different than her 1st appearance as Binary 40 years prior?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,103 posts
14 hours ago, rayne5446 said:

Lots of copies of Captain Marvel 15 moved the other day when someone posted it was the first time Captain Marvel had Binary powers.  One to watch.

14 copies in 4 hours...…...interesting. Where was this "tip" posted and as ygogolak said, what's the actual significance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

14 copies in 4 hours...…...interesting. Where was this "tip" posted and as ygogolak said, what's the actual significance?

Pulling from the wikia, which is not a perfect source, it says "the return of Binary". Sounds like someone posted something on social media unaware of her first appearance.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Marvel_Vol_7_15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
883 posts
7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Pulling from the wikia, which is not a perfect source, it says "the return of Binary". Sounds like someone posted something on social media unaware of her first appearance.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Marvel_Vol_7_15

According to the Carol Danvers Wikipedia page, Danvers lost the Binary powers after Operation: Galactic Storm. 

In the wikipedia entry for the Infinity story, it says Danvers "temporarily regained her binary powers as she drew near a black hole."

Doesn't sound like something worth paying much for.

Edited by Brother J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,107 posts
9 hours ago, Brother J said:

According to the Carol Danvers Wikipedia page, Danvers lost the Binary powers after Operation: Galactic Storm. 

In the wikipedia entry for the Infinity story, it says Danvers "temporarily regained her binary powers as she drew near a black hole."

Doesn't sound like something worth paying much for.

Paying much for? No. Reselling for much? Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,698 posts
1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Paying much for? No. Reselling for much? Yes.

There hasn't been a sale over $7. That's fine if you can get 10 for $1 each and sell them in a week. Hard to find any Captain Marvel books for $1 anymore though. Let alone multiples. There also doesn't seem to be any real significance to the story. So, the sales uptick could be over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 posts

It was on a G+ board (FACTS).  The basic argument is that UXM 164 is the first Carol Danvers as Binary, Avenging 9 is the first Carol Danvers as CM, and CM 15 is the first time Carol Danvers had Binary powers as Captain Marvel (ie.  the first time Carol Danvers had both Captain Marvel and Binary powers).  The main panel/front cover from CM 15 is very similar to her look in the movie trailer and the dual power (from CM and Binary) is supposed to help explain why she is considered the most powerful being in the MCU.  In other words, the argument says the binary infused CM we see in the movie trailer is from or inspired by CM 15.

Is it a stretch?  Perhaps.  Though I actually thought it was a decent find given people have been speculating on Captain Marvel for years.  Some research (not my own) went into this.

Is CM too crowded to support another key?  Maybe?

Have I read any of these issues to confirm?  Absolutely not.  :bigsmile:  Debunk away.  It won't hurt my feelings.

It hasn't gone above 7 bucks yet, hence the Pre-heat thread posting.  The initial sales were certainly due to the original posting that I am citing and there are cover price copies on the web to be found.

Edited by rayne5446

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
21 21