• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

Just bought a copy of New Mutants 87 2nd print, 99 & 100 1st print in the $1 bin at my LCS the other day.

Kind of surprised to see collectors/flippers speculating on the 2nd & 3rd prints of issue 100 since they have the same cover as the 1st print except for a color difference. The only reason they exist is because the 1st print sold out and 2nd print sells were better than expected.

Makes me wonder if my 2nd print of New Mutants 87 will ever be as in demand as the 1st print in the current comic collecting market? The cover on it is a different color than the 1st print and I'm sure it had a lower print run the 1st print as well.

Just bought a copy of New Mutants 87 2nd print, 99 & 100 1st print in the $1 bin at my LCS the other day.

Kind of surprised to see collectors/flippers speculating on the 2nd & 3rd prints of issue 100 since they have the same cover as the 1st print except for a color difference. The only reason they exist is because the 1st print sold out and 2nd print sells were better than expected.

Makes me wonder if my 2nd print of New Mutants 87 will ever be as in demand as the 1st print in the current comic collecting market? The cover on it is a different color than the 1st print and I'm sure it had a lower print run the 1st print as well.

This is a fun read about Marvel second printings from the Copper Age. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6760191&fpart=1

Some have value, some don't, but people do like to collect them.

Amazing Spiderman 700 later printings have some pretty low prints. I've been picking these up whenever I see em.

Comichron states the following

1st - 200900

2nd - 49355

3rd print - 7662 (Big Drop)

4th print - 5334 (Even smaller)

5th print - not even listed (came out in August 2013) guessing under 2K - Hard to find and in high grade - best copy I have found in the wild is about a 9.0

I figure with all the spiderman variant talks these copies should be on everyone's watch list.

Guys,

I keep reading how second, third, etc. prints have low print runs and therefore would be good buys but they are reprints. Why would anyone invest money in reprints? IMO they will have very little value 5-10 years from now. I guess if people are buying them to flip that makes sense but if anyone out there is actually buying these to keep as a future investment I would really like to hear the reasoning.

I honestly don't understand the pricing on reprints. Most are worth very little which makes sense but there are some issues that are worth a good chunk of change. There is no consistency behind the pricing and I would stay far away from all of them. IMO a lot of people are going to be burned big time and stuck with a bunch of worthless reprints.

Amazing Spiderman 700 later printings have some pretty low prints. I've been picking these up whenever I see em.

1st - 200900

2nd - 49355

5th print - not even listed (came out in August 2013) guessing under 2K - Hard to find and in high grade - best copy I have found in the wild is about a 9.0

I figure with all the spiderman variant talks these copies should be on everyone's watch list.

Guys,

I keep reading how second, third, etc. prints have low print runs and therefore would be good buys but they are reprints. Why would anyone invest money in reprints? IMO they will have very little value 5-10 years from now. I guess if people are buying them to flip that makes sense but if anyone out there is actually buying these to keep as a future investment I would really like to hear the reasoning.

I honestly don't understand the pricing on reprints. Most are worth very little which makes sense but there are some issues that are worth a good chunk of change. There is no consistency behind the pricing and I would stay far away from all of them. IMO a lot of people are going to be burned big time and stuck with a bunch of worthless reprints.

Using the example above - there are 38 original copies of a book floating around for every 1 4th print. The first print will almost always be the preferred books (Walking Dead 100 may be one of the exceptions due to the cover) but is the demand 38 times more for the 1st print then the 4th? Once people find out there are very few of a collectible and those later prints have the same art/story/cover of the 1st print I can see why the demand exceeds the supply. Whereas the 200,000 original copies may not exceed demand and the prices drop.

Edited by 1Cool

1st - 200900

2nd - 49355

Guys,

Sadly like most things concerning the value placed on comics it's about rarity not quality. Try finding a DC Universe 5th printing of MOS 18. Good luck and if you do I say sell it. Should a set of WE3 be worth as much? Yes but it never will be.

Second I do not recommend buying any comic with the thinking that in 5-10 years it will be worth something unless it's worth something to you. Personally I buy the second printing of Resurrection Man 1 every time I see it. Why? Because it's rare, I hoard mess, I like the way Roman numerals look on a cover and I because I actually like Abnett's work. My advise: keep what you deem valuable not what the market tells you is valuable and sell everything else at the right time so that you can buy more of what you love.

Dont forget Amazing Heroes #16 .

I'm not here to debate 1st app or not but they are on the cover.

Anyways it wouldnt hurt to have one if you find it cheap pair it up with a GN or NM #1.

th_amazing%20heroes_zpso25tg1rb.jpg

X-force 99 is also the first Shatterstar. Not hard to see that book making some waves.

He's in a pinup in one of the Annuals that appeared prior to 99, I believe. Depending on your opinion of pinups, some might consider that a first appearance.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/New_Mutants_Annual_Vol_1_6

Scroll to the bottom.

Here's an interesting question. New Mutants Annual #7 and X-Force #1 both are cover dated August 1991. The team in New Mutants Annual #7 is the X-Force team, so this might actually be the first X-Force story, depending on which shipped first. (I forget what the story in NM #100 was like; I know that it's the first appearance of the team, but it's basically a New Mutants story, no?). Is there similar material out there to establish the ship date, as was done with UXM Annual #14? And, of course, does anyone think it actually matters?

Here's an interesting question. New Mutants Annual #7 and X-Force #1 both are cover dated August 1991. The team in New Mutants Annual #7 is the X-Force team, so this might actually be the first X-Force story, depending on which shipped first. (I forget what the story in NM #100 was like; I know that it's the first appearance of the team, but it's basically a New Mutants story, no?). Is there similar material out there to establish the ship date, as was done with UXM Annual #14? And, of course, does anyone think it actually matters?

even at the time of release, new mutants 100 was a pretty big deal, so many collectors and dealers probably remember the timeline correctly as it relates to the annual. And no one here has really argued that the annual came first. Now that in and of itself is not definitive proof, but its probably safe to assume that NM100 came out first, because people come out of the woodwork here to show they no more about comics than the majority.

Xmen 266 and xmen annual 14 were not 'events', which I think is why nobody really thought about what was first until Gambit got more popular a bit later. With that being said, I don't think anyone is disputing that the Annual 14 was distributed first physically, people just argue how that should or does matter because of cameo definitions, intent, storyline content.

With that being said, if the NM Annual 7 IS the 2nd app of X force (I don't know that it is or isn't), there could be some perceived value in that as there are relatively few slabbed copies, and the type of material of the book does not seem to be easy to keep in high grade. Ephemeral value at most depending on if a movie is made, probably not great long term value.

There has got to be a ton of copies of NM 100 floating around - I think I have 10 copies and I've not really been hunting for them. No need to worry about 2nd appearances when there are plenty of the first to go around.

Edited by 1Cool

Dont forget Amazing Heroes #16 .

I'm not here to debate 1st app or not but they are on the cover.

Anyways it wouldnt hurt to have one if you find it cheap pair it up with a GN or NM #1.

th_amazing%20heroes_zpso25tg1rb.jpg

That's New Mutants. We are discussing X-Force right now.

1st - 200900

2nd - 49355

Guys,

Using the example above - there are 38 original copies of a book floating around for every 1 4th print. The first print will almost always be the preferred books (Walking Dead 100 may be one of the exceptions due to the cover) but is the demand 38 times more for the 1st print then the 4th? Once people find out there are very few of a collectible and those later prints have the same art/story/cover of the 1st print I can see why the demand exceeds the supply. Whereas the 200,000 original copies may not exceed demand and the prices drop.

What confuses me is the difference between variants and later prints. I think most variants come out at the same time as the original but not always. SO if a variant is a book with a different cover what is the difference between a later print and a variant if they both have different covers?

1st - 200900

2nd - 49355

Guys,

What confuses me is the difference between variants and later prints. I think most variants come out at the same time as the original but not always. SO if a variant is a book with a different cover what is the difference between a later print and a variant if they both have different covers?

Nothing, they're all krap. :grin:

even at the time of release, new mutants 100 was a pretty big deal, so many collectors and dealers probably remember the timeline correctly as it relates to the annual. And no one here has really argued that the annual came first. Now that in and of itself is not definitive proof, but its probably safe to assume that NM100 came out first, because people come out of the woodwork here to show they no more about comics than the majority.

Xmen 266 and xmen annual 14 were not 'events', which I think is why nobody really thought about what was first until Gambit got more popular a bit later. With that being said, I don't think anyone is disputing that the Annual 14 was distributed first physically, people just argue how that should or does matter because of cameo definitions, intent, storyline content.

With that being said, if the NM Annual 7 IS the 2nd app of X force (I don't know that it is or isn't), there could be some perceived value in that as there are relatively few slabbed copies, and the type of material of the book does not seem to be easy to keep in high grade. Ephemeral value at most depending on if a movie is made, probably not great long term value.

I'm not suggesting the Annual came before NM 100. But perhaps before X-Force 1, which could make it the first full X-Force *story,* but not the first appearance. But maybe that's not important.

It would be a great world if X-Force 1 started pulling in big bucks.

Except I was on the krapper this AM at a Waffle House in Gardner, KS and as I unrolled the toilet paper, 5 copies of X-Force 1 just fell out. BLAM! Just like that.

X-Force?

If Domino is in it, any of the early appearances. Of course NM 98, then there is X-Force #8, and X-Force 11, which has an early Deadpool appearance as well.

I really like Domino as a future pick. Easy cosplay to duplicate and a fun character. The supply of her early appearances should keep the price reasonable even if she does explode but who knows - look at NM 98.

Agreed.

Domino.

Will be huge one day,