• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to Tim Burton?

45 posts in this topic

Just finished the 25th anniversary edition of Edward Scissorhands. WOW, I don't remember this movie being so good when I first watched it on VHS in '91. I liked it enough, the way you liked other movies from that era (for instance Winona's Mermaids), but I must have overlooked it's timeless sweet Modern fairy tale at the time. It was like when I rediscovered The Princess Bride 10 years ago.

:applause:

I saw Edward Scissorhands in theaters as a kid with my mom. I remember liking it, but when I watched it as an adult, it was like a completely different movie. I don't think I quite got the message behind it as a kid. Easily one of my all time favs.

Now, compare that movie to Alice in "Underland", and you'll see some SERIOUS differences. I'm worried that Tim Burton has completely forgotten how to tell an amazing story.

I remember seeing it in Westwood one afternoon with a friend, probably Friday, opening day in 1990. A few people behind us was a guy alone and my friend goes "I think that's Axl Rose." I turn and say, "No...." Then a girl walks by him and starts almost freaking out talking to him and asks if he minds if she she's the movie also. My friend was right. So I guess I can say I saw Edward Sissorhand with Axl Rose, well kind of. I knew he lived on the Golden Mile where we were seeing the movie, but I didn't think he would be standing in line alone to see it.

Cool story!

Tim Burton is quirky. Tim Burton makes quirky movies. Quirky movies have limited audiences.

Visually, I can't stand Tim Burton movies, except for the first 2 Batman movies which I thought were homeruns in the sense of capturing the look and feel of Gotham. The other exception would be Beetlejuice. I think the biggest reason for Burton's success has been the use of Johnny Depp. Without him, I think most of his movies bomb even more.

Quirky only works for a short while. I quickly tired of his style after Batman Returns. After a while, he just comes off as an arrogant to me and it's very hard for me to watch his films. Just like Tom Cruise movies, I just don't watch them any more.

I loved 'Ed Wood' and the overall casting.

school%203.gif

No?

Ed Wood is my favorite movie by him.

Also liked his earlier films much better!

Ed Wood is a masterpiece in my opinion. The interaction between Wood and Lugosi especially was both touching and tragic which I felt brought a lot of emotional heft to the film.

school%203.gif

No?

Ed Wood is a masterpiece in my opinion. The interaction between Wood and Lugosi especially was both touching and tragic which I felt brought a lot of emotional heft to the film.

So at least between 1989 and 1994 Tim Burton did two films that were enjoyable.

:whee:

My favorites directed by Tim Burton:

1988 - Beetlejuice

1989 - Batman

1994 - Ed Wood

1996 - Mars Attacks!

1999 - Sleepy Hollow

school%203.gif

No?

So at least between 1989 and 1994 Tim Burton did two films that were enjoyable.

:whee:

My favorites directed by Tim Burton:

1988 - Beetlejuice

1989 - Batman

1994 - Ed Wood

1996 - Mars Attacks!

1999 - Sleepy Hollow

Mars Attacks! :applause: Sadly a very under appreciated classic.

I enjoyed big eyes :shrug:
Haven't seen that yet, but have heard great things.
I saw it didn't sell so well, so I'm hoping it price crashes at Walmart for Black Friday.

Bought The Theory of Everything and The Following Season 3 for like nothing tonight at another store. :whee:

I enjoyed big eyes :shrug:
Haven't seen that yet, but have heard great things.
I saw it didn't sell so well, so I'm hoping it price crashes at Walmart for Black Friday.

Bought The Theory of Everything and The Following Season 3 for like nothing tonight at another store. :whee:

Target had it for $5 for their Black Friday event, so I picked up a copy. I don't see watching it too soon because I spent around $500 on dVds/Blu Rays. lol

Watched "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" earlier. It holds up pretty good, 10 years later. Wish I could have saw it in a theater, but my date wanted to watch "Flightplan" that weekend. I'm gonna officially say, this was the last Tim Burton movie that was on my radar, before the new stuff he made evaporated from my subconscious. I want to note, The Serpent and the Rainbow gave me a phobia about corpse brides growing up, but I always thought Helena Bonham Carter's Emily was a stunner. Credit Burton for crafting such a fractured fairy-tale.

Burton has somewhat fallen in love with the curveball. Everything of a fantasy nature has become too bloated and indulgent. I think he likely works better when he has some constraints to work with, which I assuming he did on Big Fish and Big Eyes. If anything, he needs more "no" men in his life.

Oddball and quirky are best in small doses.

Having said all that, I like many of his pictures. Batmans, Big Fish, Scissorhands, and of course Ed Wood.

But the self-indulgent Johnny Depp/Fantasy movies are headache inducing.