• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell or trade a comic and regret it right away?
1 1

91 posts in this topic

Bought a walkin dead OA page traded it to LCS owner for $350 store credit bought a buncha GNs GNs now worth about $50 OA page about 5k.

Nothing fancy like you folks, but HQ #1 Hughes variant 9.8 ss x 3 sold when it started to get hot.... immediate regret... Got it off the shelf for $10. Bought a 9.6 blue label afterward. going to attempt to recreate the 9.8 with a press. Have another one at CGC right now, but i'd be surprised if it got 9.4.

Also Ultimate X-Men #1 Sketch variant signed by Andy K. (or Adam... I forget which)

Few others, but those two are my biggest regrets

yes, a set of 4 crumb mini comics. i forget the names, snatch, maybe zap and a few others. i don't think any #1s. i got them out of a 50 cent box but couldn't figure out what printings they were, although i felt comfortablish they were not firsts. this was 10 years ago and it was a little harder to figure things out back then on the interweb. anyway, I put the set up with a $24.99 BIN and it sold in about 2 minutes, which made me think i should have done a lot more research.

Golden Age Great Comics #3 (Futuro takes Hitler to Hell). Many years ago, I went through a "high grade" phase and sold off a load of books that were under fine condition. Most I have gotton back in lower grades (and paid WAY more than I sold them for. This one has eluded me and I probably won't ever own a copy again...

I think the more interesting stories may be the opposite question:

1) Any book you sell at it's peak only for it to crash down and you gleefully look back now knowing you could re-acquire that same book for a fraction of what you sold it for?

2) Any book you bought at it's peak, only for it to crash tremendously in value?

I remember when Alpha Flight #106 when Northstar came out of the closet revealing his homosexuality back in 1992 was reminiscent of the 1989 Fleer Baseball Bill Ripken "F-Face" card where the media took the story and publicized it to the point where non-hobbyists were trying to secure these collectibles, driving up prices fast and furious only for them to subsequently fall to earth.

I am always reluctant to sell off OA since I know that I will never see it ever again. Only once have I lost an auction for OA and seen the page turn up again. (I lost it again as well)

OA is tough because it truly is one of a kind. Comics can be replaced. Most of them anyway.

The problem with Original Art is that it's true, as collector's it's hard to sell pieces knowing that they more than likely can't be replaced with the exact one of a kind piece.

But, there's a few realities and facts that motivates collectors who aren't flippers, dealers or resellers per se but those who casually jettison pieces from their collection.

1) We can't afford everything we want to own in terms of just buying other OA, with that sometimes you need to sell (or trade) in order to buy.

2) We often regret buying pieces for any number of reasons, so as our collections grow, we scale back and reduce the bottom layer.

3) Most OA collectors are artist driven, so many times you'd get one piece by an artist as a placeholder or find a "better" piece to upgrade to, and then sell off the inferior piece.

It's true 'tho, about some art that keeps going up in value such as pedigree names like Neal Adams, Steve Ditko, John Buscema, John Romita, Gil Kane, Jack Kirby, etc. - - but sometimes it's almost like trading stocks... Some look at it as getting out of one position that is high priced and does grow in value, but maybe seen as slower than another speculative position to secure at a lower price that's anticipated to go up at a faster rate. So, maybe some are trading in their Frank Miller's for Mike Mignola's.

Four years ago I sold my complete Marvel Star Wars run. It was in really nice condition and was the title that started me into comics as a kid. The new Stars Wars titles drew me right back into the hobby and I really regret letting the originals go.

My other regret is a TOD #10 I let go at the same time. Around 1980 or so a buddy and I would rummage through a few long boxes at a local antique book store. We usually just looked for any #1's but I got TOD 8/9/10 for .25 each and they were easily 9.6. Sold the #10 raw for $140. Should have graded and kept that one!

Around 1994 I had gotten to know one of my LCS owners and was able to see some of the books he did not have for sale in the shop. I picked out a beautiful NM Nick Fury #1 for probably around $40-50. Back then it blew my mind to see a book from 1968 look this new. The white parts of the cover were so white, the inside paper was so white and it smelled as good as a new book!

I don't even remember to whom I sold it or for how much. I sold it during a period where I had stopped collecting and was selling off for cash. I really miss that book now.

AF 15...

Then I bought another one and sold it and regretted it right away...

Then I bought a different copy and sold it and regretted it right away...

Then I stopped because I realized I could have a nice looking copy of this book in grade at any time (well anything below 6.0).

:shrug:

Edited by rfoiii

I can't say that I regretted it, but it seems whenever I sell big keys to get another -

the keys that sell just blow up...

Why I can't regret it is because I got the books I really wanted and on the sell of keys I did at least break even or pay it forward to good people.

Good Karma + Good Books + Great Friends = 0% Regrets!

:cloud9:

About 20+ years ago I bought a Captain America Comics # 1 with a buddy of mine. 4 years later he wanted to sell it and I should have bought him out as my father suggested.

Instead we went down to New York and put it in a Sotheby's Comic auction and it sold for $23000.00.

The cover has "B" written in pencil which makes it very distinctive and easy to pick out.

Years later I saw that the book had been sent to CGC and came back 8.0 Blue label :cry:

About 4 years ago when I first started selling on ebay I thought they only allowed one pic so I stacked all my books together like ASM 15, 21, 23, 32 etc so you could only see the first book and the tops of the others.

Pretty sure it affected the bidding.....

Also, about 7 or 8 years ago I sold a B&B 28 I had bought from Metropolis as a 5.5 for $750, which was well below guide for a 5.0 at the time I believe, but that's all i could get for it after several attemps. I had gotten a great deal on it in an ebay auction, paying under $350 several years before. It was probably more like a 5.0. What does one of those go for now?

About 20+ years ago I bought a Captain America Comics # 1 with a buddy of mine. 4 years later he wanted to sell it and I should have bought him out as my father suggested.

Instead we went down to New York and put it in a Sotheby's Comic auction and it sold for $23000.00.

The cover has "B" written in pencil which makes it very distinctive and easy to pick out.

Years later I saw that the book had been sent to CGC and came back 8.0 Blue label :cry:

OUCH - but 16 years ago the comic landscape was drastically different and no one would have guessed that this book, in said grade, would be eventually 6 figures .

still gotta sting though! :ohnoez:

I had a Hulk 1 5.5 - sold it for 7.5k - 6/8 months later its 15k+ :facepalm:

I've let go of a bunch of books I wish I hadn't but at the time I got some great books in return. The one thing I've learned over the years, especially after losing half my books to a hurricane, you can always get them back. You may have to pay a little more than you did originally but they're out there.