• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glue-Ing back word balloons

8 posts in this topic

I used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Brodart-Acid-Free-Bind-Art-Adhesive/dp/B003OTZBOY

They ship to Europe (I think). Try it on some normal paper before you glue any art - so you know how to handle the adhesive.

I went from this:

01102014-1_zps53e5b3a6.jpg

To this:

011020144047_zpse7e41a13.jpg

And I did completely avoid ending up looking like this (replace the red paint with white glue) :acclaim:

shaving-cream-puffy-paint-5.jpg

A fairly ancient post, but I'm about to replace some missing word balloons from a piece of OA. There's a yellowish tint where the original balloons used to be. Does anyone know if I need to be concerned about the discoloration, or can I glue the new balloons directly over the yellow-tinted paper?

1 hour ago, Hal Turner said:

A fairly ancient post, but I'm about to replace some missing word balloons from a piece of OA. There's a yellowish tint where the original balloons used to be. Does anyone know if I need to be concerned about the discoloration, or can I glue the new balloons directly over the yellow-tinted paper?

The yellowish tint is the old acidic glue originally used to mount the balloons. Acid-free rubber cement can be applied right over it and won't change the colour anymore if you use non-acidic materials.

11 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

The yellowish tint is the old acidic glue originally used to mount the balloons. Acid-free rubber cement can be applied right over it and won't change the colour anymore if you use non-acidic materials.

Brian, thanks! I wondered if I should use anything to strip away the yellow -- such as a super-fine sandpaper, lightly applied -- but it sounds as if that isn't necessary. It's appreciated.