• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stumbled on to a GA collection......

26 posts in this topic

What started off as a rare trip to the LCS turned into a pleasant surprise recently. I don't often go to this particular shop, although run by some nice people they don't usually have the GA or Pre-Code stuff that I collect, but I needed some bags/boards in a pinch and in I went.

While at the counter paying for my stuff I browsed the walls and the owner asked what I might be looking for, "I collect pre-code horror, I don't imagine you get a lot of that" I said.

"Yea that stuff is hard to come by" he replied, then turned and hollered through the doorway behind him "Hey Jim, is there any pre-code stuff in that collection you're appraising?"

"Hell yeah, tons of it" was the reply.

Instantly I was four years old, it was Christmas morning, and I was running for the Christmas tree. Ushered to the back room of the shop there was a pile of about 500 books, 3/4 of which was GA pre-code and the rest an interesting mix of romance, war, and western with a couple hero books. It was an estate appraisal with a possibility of the LCS buying them. I know the owner and appraiser, who said I would have first crack at the books if the deal worked out.

One week later a large stack of bills changed hands for a large stack of comics. Grades were mostly mid grade but a REALLY nice mix of books:

IMG_0671.jpg

A pleasant surprise was in the non horror books was some very rare books:

IMG_0672.jpg

And some stuff I have never seen before:

IMG_0673.jpg

So I am one happy camper as you can imagine!!

Looks like Christmas came early....

Are those prices on the stickers what they charged you?

I wish! Most of those prices were on the bags. I bought them prior to hitting the shelves. It was a good deal for sure but they had appraised everything at overstreet. But realistically we know some books are multiple of guide :)

What started off as a rare trip to the LCS turned into a pleasant surprise recently. I don't often go to this particular shop, although run by some nice people they don't usually have the GA or Pre-Code stuff that I collect, but I needed some bags/boards in a pinch and in I went.

Was this comic book store in the New Westminster section of town or up by the PNE?

Congrats on your pick-ups! (thumbs u

Are those prices on the stickers what they charged you?

I wish! Most of those prices were on the bags. I bought them prior to hitting the shelves. It was a good deal for sure but they had appraised everything at overstreet. But realistically we know some books are multiple of guide :)

Well, from the stickers on the books pictured so far, it looks like they were originally all purchased from the same source.

If the dealer was pricing them at only guide, it makes me wonder how little he probably had to pay for the books as a whole.

Another reminder to all collectors that families will most likely just dispose of your books through the most expeditious manner possible, but not the most financially beneficial way when you have gone to the big comic store in the sky. hm