• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great prices ... Just flying off the wall ....

120 posts in this topic

I travel to Toronto fairly regularly for work and as soon as I saw that pic, I recognized the place.

I think that DC Presents has been there for some time now. At least more than 6 months.

I have popped in from time to time, flip through their back issues but I think the only thing I have ever purchased from there are some CGC boxes.

It is too bad. Big store. Pretty bright and clean just their back issue pricing is...Ludicrous.

One million comix

Gerry Ross...? :sick:

no. he originally sold it as a franchise and they cut all ties with him and have gone under new ownership. like 20 years ago.

Not a store I can say I've been to in the last 12 months. Lots of other great stores in Toronto that will treat you like mess but have better prices!

Perhaps the prices are negotiable (shrug)

Add me to the few here that don't see what the fuss is. So the seller is asking about US$300 for a DCP 26. I can't read the grade on the label, but on eBay 9.4s to 9.6s are within that range. How different is that from what many dealers ask for at NYCC and at other big cons? If this is graded a 9.2 or lower, sure, it's ridiculous.

Add me to the few here that don't see what the fuss is. So the seller is asking about US$300 for a DCP 26. I can't read the grade on the label, but on eBay 9.4s to 9.6s are within that range. How different is that from what many dealers ask for at NYCC and at other big cons? If this is graded a 9.2 or lower, sure, it's ridiculous.

It's VF/NM

Just what I was thinking. Raw books graded NM / 9.4 by the store, but at or near slabbed prices?

It's VF/NM

Ouch. Yeah, that's plain wrong.

does he ever sell any of this stuff though?

if not, he doesn't realize he has money sitting up on the walls, getting faded by light and crushed by binder clips, just not as much as he would like?

sort of reminds me of "funny business" and old time shop in manhattan that ceased operations years ago. he would look everything up in CBG (because it was generally more than oversrteet, even though he was an OPG advisor!) and basically double the grade...he'd quote a VF price for a VG, etc.

he didn't have prices on his books, he looked up each one.

+1

we don't know this guys model or his finances or priorities. PRices are high at A LOT of comic book shops. Sometimes they're dramatically lower during sales, or deals cheaper to his regulars, or the owner got swindled a lot as a young man and wants to make sure it doesn't happen again, or caters to impulse buyers. I would expect to pay more for a book in a major metro area than some other areas with lower expenses. There's so many things that go into pricing, its just hard to know. No one is being harmed by his pricing but potentially the owner, and he certainly has the right to run his business into the ground or make millions by selling to rich folk who want it NOW.

Big whoop

+1

we don't know this guys model or his finances or priorities. PRices are high at A LOT of comic book shops. Sometimes they're dramatically lower during sales, or deals cheaper to his regulars, or the owner got swindled a lot as a young man and wants to make sure it doesn't happen again, or caters to impulse buyers. I would expect to pay more for a book in a major metro area than some other areas with lower expenses. There's so many things that go into pricing, its just hard to know. No one is being harmed by his pricing but potentially the owner, and he certainly has the right to run his business into the ground or make millions by selling to rich folk who want it NOW.

Big whoop

There's another comic shop just north of here with reasonable prices and in a higher end area with higher rent probably ... This place is just beyond a joke