• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February 2016 Heritage Auction

400 posts in this topic

So what's the "better deal" consensus: Wood DD portrait cover $150k or Romita ASM bondage $170k?

I prefer the DD for even money, all the better for $20k+ less. But either way I'm not a player at that money anyway :)

The DD cover is absolutely gorgeous, and there's a lot to look at. The Romita Sr cover, not so much.

However, we are talking prime Romita Sr era Spidey, and Spidey is king of the Silver Age, so its really difficult to second - guess which was the better deal.

Although I am a huge Spidey fan, I am not a fan of the image portrayed on this particular cover. Who wants to see their hero slumped to ground by a woman with hair issues? Not me.

I think if the image was more action-packed and/or had some decent background details, then I would be more in favour of the ASM cover, but as it stands, if I had the money, I would pull the trigger on the DD cover.

Not sure if there's been talk about some of the following results, but I wanted to list a few things that caught my eye (excluding Kirby art/Peanuts/Foster/Hogarth, which are items I don't actively follow):

-Ernie Chan Secret Society of Super Villains #1 cover = $13K. Although I've noticed a recent upswing in prices for Ernie Chan covers (think Batman covers), this one caught me off guard entirely.

-Gene Colan DD 90p21 = $5.25K. Nice Palmer inks on this half-splash certainly helped the price on this one, and I was thinking $3K at the top end of my estimate for this piece. Definitely surprising to me.

-Johnny Craig Crime SuspenseStories #12 cover = $15.5K. I'll admit that I don't own any EC artwork currently, but if I'd known this would have been the end price, I might have mounted some funds and taken a shot at it.

-John Buscema Conan #108p1 splash = $4.3K. What's not to like about this title splash with a large image of Conan and babe on horseback? I think this was a very good buy.

-Ramona Fradon Plastic Man #16 cover = $6.3K. Ramon's art is kind of quirky and fun to look at, and others must have thought so, too. Solid result for this cover.

-Kupperberg MTIO Annual #5 cover = $7.7K. Didn't see this one coming!

-Sienkiewicz Iron Manual #1 cover = $5.2K. Combination of Da Vinci/Vitruvian Man/Iron Man/Sienkiewicz followers clamoring for this cover, I guess? (shrug)

-Barry Smith X-O Manowar #1p24 = $5K. I don't think I've seen a Valiant interior page sell for this amount before, but I could be proven wrong. Still, a very strong result, I think. (thumbs u

-Wrightson Secrets of Haunted House #5 cover = $16.7K. OK, I like prime period Wrightson as much as the next guy, but this is almost $17K for a drawing of a pumpkin! Yes, a pumpkin!!!

-Jim Starlin Infinity Abyss #1p4 Splash = $4.3K. I was taken aback by this one, even though I understand all the hype & frenzied bidding around Starlin's vintage Thanos/Warlock/Captain Marvel Sagas, and subsequent Infinity Gauntlet/War sagas. However, this piece is from 2002 and I guess I didn't think the hype permeated into relatively modern work.

So, feel free to agree/disagree/dispute/debate or add your own observations about this Heritage auction.

-Gene Colan DD 90p21 = $5.25K. Nice Palmer inks on this half-splash certainly helped the price on this one, and I was thinking $3K at the top end of my estimate for this piece. Definitely surprising to me.

I 100% agree on this one. I really wanted it but went past my comfort level.

-John Buscema Conan #108p1 splash = $4.3K. What's not to like about this title splash with a large image of Conan and babe on horseback? I think this was a very good buy.

Another beauty and the price was not crazy given what covers go for with a less impactful image.

I was liking the Romita Spectacular Spider-man Magazine #1, page 16. Went for much more than I expected at $24,000, so I didn't get to bid.

Prices seemed pretty strong across the board with a few exceptions.

Not sure if there's been talk about some of the following results, but I wanted to list a few things that caught my eye (excluding Kirby art/Peanuts/Foster/Hogarth, which are items I don't actively follow):

-Ernie Chan Secret Society of Super Villains #1 cover = $13K. Although I've noticed a recent upswing in prices for Ernie Chan covers (think Batman covers), this one caught me off guard entirely.

Love this cover. But it was $5k more than where I thought top end might be.

This one I had pegged at between $5k and $6k when someone asked my opinion before the auction. The Colan market is tough to figure sometimes but my gut said the right spot for this was about where it ended.

-Johnny Craig Crime SuspenseStories #12 cover = $15.5K. I'll admit that I don't own any EC artwork currently, but if I'd known this would have been the end price, I might have mounted some funds and taken a shot at it.

Subject matter on this one, not really horror, not really crime....told me that this one would be in the mid teens. I made a guess to a friend before the auction that this one would be around $17k.

-Kupperberg MTIO Annual #5 cover = $7.7K. Didn't see this one coming!

Ummm, this one, ummm....WOW! Viva La Kupperberg!

-Barry Smith X-O Manowar #1p24 = $5K. I don't think I've seen a Valiant interior page sell for this amount before, but I could be proven wrong. Still, a very strong result, I think. (thumbs u

I lusted after this one. I could not find my copy of the book to confirm before the auction ended, but I think this was the very first page where Aric appears in armor as X-O Manowar. Combine that with the art team, and how great the art looks, and a character that's enduring. I guess I can see the end...I was out at $4300 or so.

As a long-time EC fan, I have to say that this is one of my least-favourite cover images from CSS. Price seems about right for a good-but-not-great (imho) example.

HA listed the condition as "Excellent," so the winner got a bargain at $23.9K in comparison to page 15's $44K price tag:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/john-romita-sr-and-mike-esposito-as-mickey-demeo-amazing-spider-man-39-how-green-was-my-goblin-page-15-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7124-92200.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

I'll miss seeing the Perez Avengers #168 page on HA's site. This is the page where Henry Gyrich tries to crush the Avengers beneath an endless barrage of word balloons: http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/george-perez-and-pablo-marcos-avengers-168-issue-page-10-original-art-marvel-1978-/a/7124-92187.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Also, this seems pretty high for a Wizard piece, even from George Perez: http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/george-perez-wizard-the-comics-magazine-144-superman-and-captain-america-cover-original-art-wizard-2003-/a/7124-92190.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

If it was Batman & Wolverine, I could better justify the price. In the immortal words of Jarvis, "Perhaps if I took a Jiu-Jitsu course..."

(I also wasn't the consignor or buyer on anything)

I was the original owner of this piece and it was expensive (for the time) when I purchased it. I was offered substantially more for it several times, finally relented, and sold it nearly 10 years ago to a fellow in the UK. So, by 2005, it was already a fairly expensive piece, relative to other Perez artwork.

Thanks for the background info, JJJ!

As a long-time EC fan, I have to say that this is one of my least-favourite cover images from CSS. Price seems about right for a good-but-not-great (imho) example.

For 15.5 great buy at current prices.. As a ec collector always remember book was tough to get in top shape before Gaines file copies came out. Buyer got a good deal under 20k and looks in good condition.

So what's the "better deal" consensus: Wood DD portrait cover $150k or Romita ASM bondage $170k?

I prefer the DD for even money, all the better for $20k+ less. But either way I'm not a player at that money anyway :)

DD. I've always found romita overpriced and the condition kills it for me. Paper looked like suede. And with it being all cut up, just not for me.

In immaculate condition on a single snow white board I'd probably take the ASM as I've always really loved that particular ASM cover (in print).

I don't like either one at the price, but I'm not in the market at that level anyways.

DD. I've always found romita overpriced and the condition kills it for me. Paper looked like suede. And with it being all cut up, just not for me.

In immaculate condition on a single snow white board I'd probably take the ASM as I've always really loved that particular ASM cover (in print).

I don't like either one at the price, but I'm not in the market at that level anyways.

Aside from the cut and paste, it's quite tan. I'm not a major conservation expert, but from my experience, tanning only gets darker over time, especially if there is additional exposure to light. Even under UV glass and out of direct sunlight, florescent lights can fade art work as well.

Jim Starlin Infinity Abyss #1p4 Splash = $4.3K. I was taken aback by this one, even though I understand all the hype & frenzied bidding around Starlin's vintage Thanos/Warlock/Captain Marvel Sagas, and subsequent Infinity Gauntlet/War sagas. However, this piece is from 2002 and I guess I didn't think the hype permeated into relatively modern work.

I'm stunned that early-2000's Starlin Thanos pages are now at this level. There's also a Marvel Universe: The End #3 splash featuring the backs of a few tiny figures, that sold for $2.3k in a recent HA Sunday.

The DD #9 cover would be a Wood grail for me.

I may be in the minority, but it's my favorite Wood cover from the run; maybe my favorite Wood superhero cover of all.

Probably nostalgia, DD #9 was the first DD book I bought.

I'm not a player at that kind of money either, but at least I own a decent panel page from that issue ! I can live with that. :)

The DD #9 cover would be a Wood grail for me.

I may be in the minority, but it's my favorite Wood cover from the run; maybe my favorite Wood superhero cover of all.

Probably nostalgia, DD #9 was the first DD book I bought.

I'm not a player at that kind of money either, but at least I own a decent panel page from that issue ! I can live with that. :)

I can see where you are coming from but what could surpass the DD 7 submareener cover ? xx

It's interesting to hear what people are interested in and not, and I do feel the prices leading up to the auction's close are no indicators to the final valuation, since most activity on the Heritage auctions are live bids in person, proxy, internet or phone. You can't really "set it and forget it" with a bid today that's going to survive as the winning bid at close, generally without fear of overpaying or of course getting outbid if you're away.

I find opposite of shill-gate in that, I know many associates who converge to discuss the pieces they want and go over who wants whatever piece more so than the other person, respectfully, to avoid driving rates up like gentlemen and creating their own bidding war, forceably making one pay more than maybe necessary.

So, I know if one piece in question is up for auction, one person (Bidder A) says, "I'd pay up to $10k for it" and the other person (Bidder B) says "I'd pay up to $8k for it", then Bidder B would tell Bidder A that he's stepping aside from the auction and allowing Bidder A to go for it, even if that piece goes for $6k and Bidder B was willing to pay up to $8k, but knowing Bidder A would go higher, backs off during the auction and close. It only works with close friends who also aren't so passionate and competitive.

I find that honorable among friends, and I know of course sellers consigning pieces may think otherwise since it impacts maximizing profit potential.

With that, that's usually the only time people discuss what they're interested in, in fear of drawing attention and worthy adversaries to compete for pieces... or of course those sellers consigning their pieces wanting to publicize the auction.

Can anyone join your bidding ring ?

Interesting times, I admire your honesty and naïveté You gotta wonder - how many more will follow mb's confessional ?

Isn't that collusion?

Funny how all the Moral Absolutists around here have suddenly gone silent, isn't it?

The plain fact is that bidder collusion among friends distorts the "price discovery" mechanism of auctions just as much as (if not more than) Burkey having friends bid on his art.

Isn't that collusion?

Funny how all the Moral Absolutists around here have suddenly gone silent, isn't it?

The plain fact is that bidder collusion among friends distorts the "price discovery" mechanism of auctions just as much as (if not more than) Burkey having friends bid on his art.

No, for the reasons already stated. Basically, shilling raises the floor for everyone, collusion lowers the ceiling for only a few, or actually, only one, max.

Still, I think it's an interesting conversation. Say there are two colluders and they just happen to be the two (potential) highest bidders --the only scenario where collusion has an effect. Due to collusion, the winning bidder pays 4000 instead of the 5000 the other colluder would have pushed him to, absent the collusion. Is 5000, or 4900, the actual, secret FMV? Just because only one guy on one day was willing to go there? What if that guy goes bankrupt? Or just loses interest? Isn't the 4000 probably a more realistic FMV basis when the winner needs to sell?