• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mighty World of Marvel.
3 3

189 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2019 at 7:33 AM, GARYSTAR said:

I can't comment about all of them because I only have a few issues but I can say that all of the issues I do have have rusty staples. I have a very nice Pow #1 which has rusty staples and even the otherwise near mint "spider-matic" gun has a rusty pin. It must be our UK climate.

img023.jpg

That gun is FABTASTIC!

I just checked the copies I had close by and none of the half dozen or so I looked at have rust,including a Terrific #1,a few Spider)-Man weekly and MWOM.Rusty staples are sort of anathema to me,so you gang had me concerned.I guess I'm lucky to have found rust free copies

@batmiesta have you noticed rust in the past?

@boomtown congrats on your score.I'm in Canada,so I don't have the nostalgia you folks would in the UK for these,I just really like them

4 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I just checked the copies I had close by and none of the half dozen or so I looked at have rust,including a Terrific #1,a few Spider)-Man weekly and MWOM.Rusty staples are sort of anathema to me,so you gang had me concerned.I guess I'm lucky to have found rust free copies

Have they lived with you long in Canada? Perhaps it is a UK climate effect on poor quality staples, either that or you have a really good eye for spotting nice examples. My copy of Terrific #1 has nice white pages and nasty rusty staples. (Early MWOM and Spider-man Comics Weekly were glued so don't suffer from this problem).

img028.jpg

1 hour ago, GARYSTAR said:

Have they lived with you long in Canada? Perhaps it is a UK climate effect on poor quality staples, either that or you have a really good eye for spotting nice examples. My copy of Terrific #1 has nice white pages and nasty rusty staples. (Early MWOM and Spider-man Comics Weekly were glued so don't suffer from this problem).

img028.jpg

That's what my complete run of Fantastics look like. The Terrifics are a little nicer as far as staple rust goes. Appreciate all the input.

9 hours ago, GARYSTAR said:

The Terrific has only been a few years-I did get it from France,if that matters.I didn't pull out any Fantastic-see my sigline and that's half the mess of my comics lol room.I just got lucky I think.Normally I wont pick stuff up if rust is disclosed,unless it's a really rare comic I'll likely not see again.I'll keep an eye open.

Going through the collection of Terrific/Fantastic books I picked up and will share the early Barry Windsor Smith Back Cover Posters when I come across them. These were done while Smith was still a teenager, living in the UK. The story goes he was a family friend with the publisher or editor. Amazing how far he progressed in the 4 years between these posters and his Conan work!

More to come as I come across them!

sapdm731.thumb.jpg.9e3d867361f835e3acdbf2eab244d37e.jpgsapdm730.thumb.jpg.64ebd308b732da8e162ecde4c973f2b1.jpgsapdm729.thumb.jpg.4fcdd25787d9fe81a4e9f0e7a58c7af7.jpg

2 hours ago, batmiesta said:

And a Spider-man one, shown here with a regular sized book to give some idea of the size.

DSC00734.JPG

Yeah, I saw an advertisement for the ptches while I was going through a collection I bought. I like the Hulk one much better than the Spider-Man.

19 hours ago, boomtown said:

Here's another unique idea from Marvel UK. Used the Cover image on Mighty World of Marvel #154 and then again on Mighty World of marvel 159. Considering the book was published weekly, little more than a month had passed between usages. At least they colored it a little differently.

20200222_092128.thumb.jpg.05dc35daaf9ac4469697cb0bec78e5fd.jpg

That's weird. I wonder if any of the readers noticed at the time.

What few I have are a little bit later.  The 391 is another "get the high demand cover much cheaper" example, although not as impressive as the 198.  I've got the 1st 20 issues of Hulk comic somewhere as well, may be able to scan a few of those.  Gotta love Night Raven and some early Steve Dillon art on Nick Fury...

Marvel_Super_Heroes_377.jpg

Marvel_Super_Heroes_391.jpg

50 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Have you just bought these Andrew? They are starting to fetch good money in nice shape and your 198 looks particularly nice.:applause:

Think I bought them off Ebay about ten years ago.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:19 PM, boomtown said:

Here's another unique idea from Marvel UK. Used the Cover image on Mighty World of Marvel #154 and then again on Mighty World of marvel 159. Considering the book was published weekly, little more than a month had passed between usages. At least they colored it a little differently.

20200222_092128.thumb.jpg.05dc35daaf9ac4469697cb0bec78e5fd.jpg

The GCD entry for MWOM #159 says " Cover was used only five issues earlier so this must have been a production error." I think the Tiger Shark story ran in #158-9, so the error would have been using the cover for #154.