• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GGA - Deadlier Than The Male
4 4

734 posts in this topic

Molly O'Day (aka Dolly O'Dare from Scoop Comics) was a fiesty blonde in a red suit with a gun who wasn't afraid to shoot first and ask questions later. A woman after my own heart. :luhv: Here are scans from a couple splash pages and actions pages...

img116.jpg

img117.jpg

img118.jpg

img119.jpg

That's one hardboiled dame. I hear she was reassigned to a desk job after a high number of use of deadly force reviews.

Molly O'Day (aka Dolly O'Dare from Scoop Comics) was a fiesty blonde in a red suit with a gun who wasn't afraid to shoot first and ask questions later. A woman after my own heart. :luhv: Here are scans from a couple splash pages and actions pages...

That's one hardboiled dame. I hear she was reassigned to a desk job after a high number of use of deadly force reviews.

She was reassigned to a desk job after an overuse of puns and one-liners. :gossip:

Compare these two beautiful covers side-by-side: Molly O'Day #1 (1945) and Inside Detective (January, 1940). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I suppose. ;)

I am really impressed that you caught this. I wonder if anybody else ever noticed before? The draping is almost the same, and the shoes are a full match.

I find side-by-side comparisons to be easier when images are really side by side, so...

159687.jpg.916831a8a951fe3956b99e1f6d87c501.jpg

comicbookplus.com mentions the Driben swipe for Molly O'Day. It's also interesting theat the two Molly stories are apparently the only features in the book not reprinted out of earlier Chesler books. This being Avon's first comic, I wonder if the Molly strips were unused inventory purchased off Harry Chesler?

Molly O'Day seems modeled on Quality's Sally O'Neil, Policewoman. Perhaps not coincidently, both were the stage names of two sisters who made films from the mid-twenties into the early talkie era.

Compare these two beautiful covers side-by-side: Molly O'Day #1 (1945) and Inside Detective (January, 1940). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I suppose. ;)

I am really impressed that you caught this. I wonder if anybody else ever noticed before? The draping is almost the same, and the shoes are a full match.

I find side-by-side comparisons to be easier when images are really side by side, so...

Nice job! (thumbs u I love looking at these books side by side.

Any idea who the cover artist was for Molly O'Day? Was it Jim Wilcox?

If you're going to steal another cover, he picked a good one.

comicbookplus.com mentions the Driben swipe for Molly O'Day. It's also interesting theat the two Molly stories are apparently the only features in the book not reprinted out of earlier Chesler books. This being Avon's first comic, I wonder if the Molly strips were unused inventory purchased off Harry Chesler?

Molly O'Day seems modeled on Quality's Sally O'Neil, Policewoman. Perhaps not coincidently, both were the stage names of two sisters who made films from the mid-twenties into the early talkie era.

A Google search turned up the following photos of Molly O'Day (1923-1987) and Sally O'Neil (1908-1968)...

oday.jpgsallyoneilphoto2.jpg

Entertainers by day, policewomen by night! :grin: