• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GGA - Deadlier Than The Male
4 4

734 posts in this topic

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Thank you BB-Gun and Marty for the awesome Miss America splash pages!

Somewhere along the way, Miss America changed from a blonde to a brunette with glasses. I love both looks, but I'm partial to the blonde Miss America. :blush:

I like both also, but I was thinking that that break from the all American traditional to the brunette version is kinda ground breaking for the time period.

Somewhere along the way, Miss America changed from a blonde to a brunette with glasses. I love both looks, but I'm partial to the blonde Miss America. :blush:

I like both also, but I was thinking that that break from the all American traditional to the brunette version is kinda ground breaking for the time period.

I think the "brunette with bookworm glasses" super-heroine was very groundbreaking for the time. It's especially interesting that the character Madeleine Joyce did not wear glasses. She only put them on as part of her Miss America costume. Perhaps it was deliberate to do the exact opposite of Clark Kent / Superman? hm

Thought you might like to see this from the Winter 1944 issue of YOUNG ALLIES.

<a  href=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5815/23500569060_ddc512745c_z.jpg' alt='23500569060_ddc512745c_z.jpg'>IMG MISS AMERICA CONTEST from YOUNG ALLIES #14

mm

Perhaps they didn't want to confuse Miss Patriot with Miss America.

8371792546_80db69eb3e_b.jpg

So she manages to get herself to the ceiling and hold herself there, while wearing heels (the soles of those shoes would have virtually no traction to do that). At the same time having the strength to do it. And to top it off, manages to control the material of the dress so it is not draping down on top of the two men's heads, instantly giving her away. Oh!!!!! Her hair stays absolutely perfect while doing all this!!!

It all works, I love it. :applause:

The same trick can also be done in high-heeled boots. :cool:

img090.jpg

So she manages to get herself to the ceiling and hold herself there, while wearing heels (the soles of those shoes would have virtually no traction to do that). At the same time having the strength to do it. And to top it off, manages to control the material of the dress so it is not draping down on top of the two men's heads, instantly giving her away. Oh!!!!! Her hair stays absolutely perfect while doing all this!!!

The same trick can also be done in high-heeled boots. :cool:

img090.jpg

Nice, but not the same difficulty level. :P Boots are much better at staying on feet, have a chance at better traction, plus her costume is moderately form fitting, and does not have a few yards of extra material. Difficulty level 6/10, while the first was a 9/10.

That's the beauty of these Golden Age fighting females. :D As far as I'm concerned, the more glamorous and impractical the attire, the better! :luhv:

Granted the men were always in suites and ties, and usually had a hat. The hat would then defy all logic and always stay on.

The art of knocking a man's hat off...

img091.jpgimg092.jpgimg094.jpg