• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You slabbed what?

118 posts in this topic

What comic have you seen slabbed (or can admit to doing yourself!) that was an absolutely nonsensical decision?

I've seen a few on ebay that I just think what was this person thinking? There's a 3rd printing of Miami Mice #1 someone had the audacity to get graded. I could think of a lot of other books to be slabbed rather than that one!

well, when it happened I don't know, but I submitted a book for slabbing that was in the "consider to be pressed" pile. Came back with a 4.5 modern! It was the only one graded low so I didn't submit a bunch of wrong comics, only the one.

D'OH!

On the upside, I have now learned a little about cracking slabs!!!

I see many slabbed comics that I wouldn't dream of slabbing. Especially a low grade non-key comic. But that doesn't mean a complete waste to the one submitting. There could be many reasons why. Maybe it's a cherished childhood treasure? Or a collector of a series that wants all graded copies. Or the comic is needed for somebody's registry set.

I have numerous books slabbed, that the vast majority of collectors would shake their heads at.

(Scoff at more like! :) ) Different strokes for different folks in the funny book realm keeps this "bright blue ball, just spinning, spinning free."

Or

There is the tried and true, "What I slab is awesome and what you slab sucks"

I have countless books slabbed, that the vast majority of collectors would shake their heads at.

(Scoff at more like! lol!)

Helps keep this "bright blue ball, just spinning, spinning free."

Or

There is the tried and true, "What I slab is awesome and what you slab sucks"

+1 on that. It's a fun diversion, mighty challenging and super educational to try to put together runs of less popular titles. Example: I'm building an Authority 1-29 run and not only do I have the only graded copy of many of them, I have the only two copies (with squibs :frustrated:) I have no illusions about resale value. But... it's fun!

Check out my WTB thread. You can see the full glory of my obscure wants.

I have one on its way back to me right now in my latest sub:

Authority 19 9.8

Secret War 2 9.8

Daredevil v2 #1 9.8

Guardians of the Galaxy 17 Variant Edition 9.8

Mighty Avengers 13 9.8

Authority 20 9.8

Power Man and Iron Fist 77 9.8

Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority 1 9.8

Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority 2 9.4

Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority 3 9.8

Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority 4 9.8

Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority 5 9.8

The Jenny Sparks 9.8s are probably not worth the cost of getting graded, but that 9.4 doh! It happens. I have two copies of The Authority 19 in 9.2!

I got a Disney issue a couple years ago in a CLink auction for $1 because it was missing 5 pages and was a generally unremarkable issue. It had a Thanksgiving cover with a turkey chasing Huey, Dewey & Louis so it was perfect for my interests & is in the living room now for the holiday. Whoever did slab it probably didn't know it was missing pages but he must've been sorry to have done it afterwards.

great thread idea....

anyone have pics of slabs where the book is worth less than the cost to slab it?

:kidaround:

That's probably over 90% of what you see on the census. :/

If you want cringe-worthy, bottom-of-the-barrel, dollar bin rejects that no one with any self-respect would ever submit, I have some for you, especially for you Speedball aficionados out there:

Speedball1988-001-CGC98U-0260076015_zpszkmczbso.jpg

MarvelSuperHeroes1990-014-CGC98U-0260076008_zpsjrnokn0s.jpg

NewWarriors1990-027-CGC98SS-1193064001_zpsvtj1gq65.jpg