• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Price Variants

114 posts in this topic

There have been many discussions on the boards with varying opinions, as someone who regularly sells them, I generally value them at around two thirds of the value of cents copies.

Yes, you would be right that they are far rarer though it is also fair to say that there is a lot less demand for them than cents. The demand for them has increased over the last five years though.

Consider the cost of buying a pence book

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

It works out to you paying more for a pence book delivered to north America so In my twisted mind they ARE worth more :)

There is nothing more satisfying than collection something no one in the world dose but you

So start a Pence collection today it is FUN

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=98931

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

It works out to you paying more for a pence book delivered to north America so In my twisted mind they ARE worth more :)

There is nothing more satisfying than collection something no one in the world dose but you

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=98931

^^

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

Based on all that, it sounds expensive and not fun at all. (shrug)

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

...that, and all reported prices realized are in US dollars.

-J.

What's up with the 'd' not 'p' in some uk prices? I always wondered about that...

Yup.

d = pre-decimal pence (240 pence in £1)

p = decimal pence (100 pence in £1), of course.

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

The "Fun" lies in hunting down high grade pence copies. Between the shipping issues and Thorpe and Porter stamps they are far harder to find than high grade cents copies.

I collect pence copies as a sub set of my X-Men collection and personally consider them equally desirable. I understand that they are not for everyone and I'm happy for it to stay like that - less competition for me.

Unfortunately, as Garry pointed out earlier in the thread, in the last 5 years I've seen more and more interest in them as the variant craze has gotten crazier.

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

The "Fun" lies in hunting down high grade pence copies. Between the shipping issues and Thorpe and Porter stamps they are far harder to find than high grade cents copies.

I collect pence copies as a sub set of my X-Men collection and personally consider them equally desirable. I understand that they are not for everyone and I'm happy for it to stay like that - less competition for me.

Unfortunately, as Garry pointed out earlier in the thread, in the last 5 years I've seen more and more interest in them as the variant craze has gotten crazier.

:slapfight:

On keys, we usually realise around 70%-75% of cents copies sales price.

On run of the mill stuff, the percentage is usually higher. Most of our sales are from UK buyers, but we do get foreign sales, and some of those foreign sales actually come from the US.

It's a niche market, but it's a healthy one at the moment.

Here's a list of our eBay Store sales over the last month that involve pence copies, the sales price obviously converted to dollars. If anybody cares to check, you'll find that we're running at around 80-90% of Overstreet.

Amazing Adventures 9 FN $11.16

Amazing Spider-Man 29 VG $50.57

Amazing Spider-Man 33 G+ $24.45

Amazing Spider-Man 38 VG/FN $49.06

Amazing Spider-Man 38 G $19.77

Amazing Spider-Man 39 PR $20.97

Amazing Spider-Man 41 G+ $42.26

Amazing Spider-Man 46 VG- $26.11

Amazing Spider-Man 78 FN- $23.09

Amazing Spider-Man 86 VG/FN $20.97

Amazing Spider-Man 90 VG+ $20.97

Amazing Spider-Man 101 FN/VF $83.79

Avengers 26 FR $7.38

Avengers 27 G/VG $14.03

Avengers 28 G/VG $29.13

Avengers 64 VG $11.16

Avengers 68 G+ $8.74

Avengers 70 VG $11.16

Avengers 71 FN $22.33

Avengers 75 VG/FN $11.61

Avengers 77 VG+ $10.55

Avengers 79 VG/FN $11.61

Avengers 80 VG/FN $14.03

Avengers 81 FN $14.03

Avengers 82 FN- $12.82

Avengers 84 FN- $12.82

Avengers 87 FN $29.13

Avengers 94 FN $23.24

Avengers 185 VFN $7.53

Batman 309 FN $5.57

Batman 312 FN- $5.12

Batman 318 FN $5.57

Batman 321 VFN $11.61

Daredevil 27 G $8.14

Daredevil 55 VG- $6.63

Daredevil 67 FN $11.16

Daredevil 77 FN+ $14.93

Fantastic Four 16 VG $128.33

Fantastic Four 67 VG $35.47

Fantastic Four 100 VG- $14.63

Incredible Hulk 114 G+ $5.87

Incredible Hulk 126 VG+ $8.44

Incredible Hulk 130 FN $8.44

Incredible Hulk 131 FN- $7.69

Incredible Hulk 133 G+ $3.46

Iron Man 12 VG+ $12.67

Iron Man 13 G/VG $8.44

Iron Man 20 FN $14.03

Silver Surfer 15 G/VG $14.03

Silver Surfer 17 G+ $11.61

Strange Tales 115 PR $29.13

Sub-Mariner 16 VG $5.57

Sub-Mariner 23 VG $5.57

Sub-Mariner 24 VG $5.57

Thor (Vol. 1) 127 G- $9.95

Thor (Vol. 1) 165 G/VG $24.45

Thor (Vol. 1) 195 FN/VF $16.29

X-Men 23 G/VG $18.10

X-Men 28 PR $10.55

X-Men 55 G/VG $14.03

X-Men 56 VG+ $23.09

X-Men 64 VG/FN $23.24

X-Men 66 VG $20.52

X-Men 98 VG+ $18.86

X-Men 108 FN $19.61

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

Pence copies are not "variants". They are American comic books printed for distribution in a foreign market. And sometimes they are reprints. Pence copies just happen to also be printed in English, they are however foreign nonetheless.

-J.