• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Price Variants

114 posts in this topic

I'm not so sure where it's made is as relevant as its intended destination of distribution.

I believe by whom and the way it is made makes all the difference. Not where it is sold.

We have several huge Toyota plants in our area (I live in Southern Ontario Canada). These cars are sold all over the world. But the cars that come out are still Japanese.

I'm not so sure where it's made is as relevant as its intended destination of distribution. 2c

So the moment an American product leaves America it ceases to be American??

That's why Elvis never toured outside the US.

:roflmao:

I'm not so sure where it's made is as relevant as its intended destination of distribution. 2c

In this case, as I have said before, they are in fact foreign versions of American books. (thumbs u

-J.

Wrong, U.S. comics distributed in the UK market.

Is an American product that happens to be manufactured in China in fact a Chinese product?

It's all about the brand here. If it's a product that is recognizably American, which originated in America, it's American.

Besides, aren't most American comics distributed in America printed in Canada?

In this case, as I have said before, they are in fact foreign versions of American books. (thumbs u

-J.

How can they be foreign versions if they were printed in America?

He would have morphed into an Elvis export variant.

-J.

Wrong, U.S. comics distributed in the UK market.

...except with a foreign denomination of currency on the front cover, with a foreign indicia and utilizing a foreign distributor.

Seems pretty foreign to me. (shrug)

Is it still a "Marvel Comic"? Yes, of course.

It is a Marvel Comic printed specifically for a foreign market that also happens to be English speaking. No more, no less.

-J.

He wouldn't have ate all those burgers over here in the 70's.

Wimpy Bars would've put him off burgers for life.

Is an American product that happens to be manufactured in China in fact a Chinese product?

It's all about the brand here. If it's a product that is recognizably American, which originated in America, it's American.

Many are. :headbang:

Wimpy Bars would've put him off burgers for life.

I'm currently having breakfast in a Wimpy's. :o

...except with a foreign denomination of currency on the front cover, with a foreign indicia and utilizing a foreign distributor.

The foreign denomination on the cover is out of necessity. A Harley Davidson is priced in the UK in Pounds, not dollars.

Do you have an example of the differences with the indicia? Is it just price / date or do they have something completely different there - like the Union Jack?

Puleeze. Foreign distributor? :facepalm:

Many are. :headbang:

They are obviously foreign versions of Canadian comics then by Jay's standards. lol

The whole concept of things being designed and produced in America for an overseas market not being American boggles my mind. I don't really see pence copies as a variant, they are just part of the original print run that was adjusted for an overseas market. I guess it depends on people's definition of variant but I think the term pence edition works well.

The whole concept of things being designed and produced in America for an overseas market not being American boggles my mind. I don't really see pence copies as a variant, they are just part of the original print run that was adjusted for an overseas market. I guess it depends on people's definition of variant but I think the term pence edition works well.

I always list them as pence copies.