• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Price Variants

114 posts in this topic

The whole concept of things being designed and produced in America for an overseas market not being American boggles my mind. I don't really see pence copies as a variant, they are just part of the original print run that was adjusted for an overseas market. I guess it depends on people's definition of variant but I think the term pence edition works well.

+1. Price variant and reprint are both incorrect and misleading (often intentionally). Pence copy or pence edition are perfect descriptions.

Here's a thread that has some actual reprints in it.

Marvel UK.

So the only difference in the indicia seems to be the 'Sole Distributors in the United Kingdom - Thorne & Porter LTD.' addition. The rest of the indicia still seems entirely identical to the US distributed copies - including pricing!

The only firms up my belief that these are simply pricing variants for the UK market with the pricing slug changed for the front cover and a 'Sole Distributors in the United Kingdom - Thorne & Porter LTD.' slug added for the interior cover.

We have exactly the same scenario for Canadian comics. There are identical books, printed at exactly the same time as US comics on the same presses and the only difference is the pricing. And this goes for GA books as well as copper books. We have no problem calling them Canadian price variants. Or do we? ???

Or is it because Canadians use dollar and the UK uses Pounds that makes them different? ???

Then you have the actual well known $.30 / $0.35 price variants, where only the price slug was changed and they are also known as price variants. Should those be labeled as variants by the markets they were introduced in ???

Full disclosure I've rarely owned a UK variant and don't own any now.

The whole concept of things being designed and produced in America for an overseas market not being American boggles my mind. I don't really see pence copies as a variant, they are just part of the original print run that was adjusted for an overseas market. I guess it depends on people's definition of variant but I think the term pence edition works well.

I see the term Pence 'price variant' as more accurate (from the perspective of these shores anyway) because it gives me the impression that nothing about the book (including print run, content) is different than the price.

On your shores calling it a Pence variant may make more sense.

Roy is a poopie head

If that's true then why does your Origin issue have those fart fumes in the background?

This is the greggy variant. Please make sure to keep this book sealed in the slab....for obvious reasons. lol

VancouverKid666.jpg

I see the term Pence 'price variant' as more accurate (from the perspective of these shores anyway) because it gives me the impression that nothing about the book (including print run, content) is different than the price.

On your shores calling it a Pence variant may make more sense.

Sorry haven't been reading these posts - so have we come to an agreement that these are Pence Variants ? Sounds good to me 2c

We have exactly the same scenario for Canadian comics. There are identical books, printed at exactly the same time as US comics on the same presses and the only difference is the pricing. And this goes for GA books as well as copper books. We have no problem calling them Canadian price variants. Or do we? ???

Canadian GA usually has some advertising missing/replaced by blank space.

Canadian GA usually has some advertising missing/replaced by blank space.

Some do and some don't. I know some have blank inside front covers (I think FF Annual #1 or ASM Annual #1 are the common ones) but some comics just have a different pricing slug.

For example, there is a Batman #2 that was found local to me that had a $0.15 price on the cover as opposed to a $0.10 price. Everything else was identical. Overstreet was made aware of it and it's now listed in the OSPG as a "$0.15 for Canadian dist. exists".

Wouldn't that be considered a Canadian price variant?

There are other examples but I don't remember exactly. I believe there was a GA More Fun we discussed in the GA forum.

There are also a pre early SA pre-hero Atlas books with different price stickers IIRC.

+1. Price variant and reprint are both incorrect and misleading (often intentionally). Pence copy or pence edition are perfect descriptions.

+1.

This. (thumbs u

-J.

+1.

This. (thumbs u

How is that possible when the only difference is the variation in price?

doh!

+1.

This. (thumbs u

doh!

Because "price variant" has a very specific meaning in the comic book world.

+1.

This. (thumbs u

doh!

What is the specific meaning?

+1.

This. (thumbs u

doh!

What is the specific meaning?

Yeah I would love to know this as well?

I think he means 'specifically the Bronze Age books that were printed with $0.30 and $0.35 cent price test variations for the American markets'.

(shrug)

They also are printed with no cover date/month.

They also have different indicia on the inside front cover.

Only the very earliest issues do.

The vast majority do not.

The earliest ones are the ones people mostly want, no? The Hulk 1's, early FF's, AF 15's, etc?

Later on they became actual reprints.

-J.

Got a link to where this is evidenced?

:popcorn:

I think he means 'specifically the Bronze Age books that were printed with $0.30 and $0.35 cent price test variations for the American markets'.

(shrug)

Doesn't mean that the term 'price variant' is exclusive to those issues surely?

Somebody else likes to call them price variants.

Comic Books - Pence Price Variants

From the same website:

"One thing to establish early on is that Marvel comics with 'd' (old British Pence) or 'p' as opposed to Cents pricing have been erroneously described as reprints or 'UK editions' which is suggestive of a separate print run with Pence pricing. They are not. Pence variant copies are the same book entirely as the Cents version, printed at the same time on the same press, with only a change in the cover price printing plate separating the two kinds of copies. It has even been suggested that since the Pence copies were printed to a specific number of copies for reasons of limited import quota, the Pence copies were printed first, and for that reason many of the Pence copies have better ink density than the equivalent Cents issues. Under that assumption, I have heard Marvel Cents copies cheekily described as reprints!"

(shrug)

Doesn't mean that the term 'price variant' is exclusive to those issues surely?

I'd have to hear from thunsticker to be sure of what he means.

I don't live in the US so I see and hear about Canadian price variants as well.

To me, if the only difference is the price, I consider it a price variant and always have.

I don't count the 'Thorne & Porter LTD' distribution slug being added as a big deal. That may have just been a legal requirement or something - the rest of the indicia is identical to US books, including being priced in $US, for goodness sakes!