• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which is worth more, the Mile High Action #1 or the Action #1 Cover OA?

Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?

209 posts in this topic

Just curious to hear what people think. If the Mile High copy of Action #1 and the original art to the Action #1 cover (if it existed - somebody did a hoax mock-up a while back that is floating around the Internet, but it's not the real thing) both hit the market at the same time, which do you think would fetch more money? And why? :popcorn:

Although the original art might fetch more money based upon some of the crazy prices being paid for art, I would personally take the Action 1 comic book since I am a comic book collector myself.

After all, the Church Action 1 is the absolute pinnacle in the comic book market, whereas the original art would probably not even register in terms of the original art market. hm

I'm curious as to why you're asking? hm

The art is the obvious answer.

So obvious that the votes are split down the middle so far. lol

I think the MH copy would blow the art out of the water. It's the Holiest Grail of comic collecting. The Action #1 cover art might be the most valuable piece of comic art if it existed just on history, but it would in no way be the near-universal Holy Grail that the MH Action #1 is to the comic hobby, since everything in art is one-of-a-kind, Joe Shuster is in no way among the most popular, revered or collected artists and there are far better images and artists that most people prefer. Already, GA superhero art is a bit of a red-headed stepchild in the OA hobby.

People have coveted Action #1 the comic book, and especially the MH copy, for decades. There is precedent already for a public multi-million dollar comic book sale (Action #1 9.0) whereas no American comic art has sold publicly for more than about one-fifth of that amount. I think most Action #1 fanatics would rather have what they have coveted for so long - the finished article that they are familiar with and whose condition, colors, smell and completeness they can admire - vs. just a slice of the book used to create it, even if it is the cover image. With the book, you get the cover and the whole story. You get the magic of a book which has defied the ravages of time. You get what your 12-year old self could only dream of as a child. No 12-year old ever dreamed of owning the OA to a big book vs. the book itself.

MH copy by a landslide IMO.

Although the original art might fetch more money based upon some of the crazy prices being paid for art, I would personally take the Action 1 comic book since I am a comic book collector myself.

After all, the Church Action 1 is the absolute pinnacle in the comic book market, whereas the original art would probably not even register in terms of the original art market. hm

.....this is where I'm at as well..... the comic would provide much more enjoyment. Unfortunately, I would likely not give it the good home it deserves, as I would QUICKLY sell it, buy a home, keep some money for retirement, and spend the rest on comics that I would enjoy even more..... like a Cap 1. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

We need a crack or don't care option.

lol

I don't care about Action #1 in any form (comic or OA) personally. I just thought it was an interesting topic of conversation, one that we've been having over in the OA Forum with similarly mixed results.

That said, in a discussion like this, I think a lot of people probably are unduly influenced by the headlines for the incredible sums paid for fine art and either consciously or unconsciously translate that over to comic art - even though there has been scant evidence of such. To date, the top comic book sales swamp the top comic art sales (talking about American comic books and comic art) by a wide margin. 2c

I'm curious as to why you're asking? hm

The art is the obvious answer.

So obvious that the votes are split down the middle so far. lol

I think the MH copy would blow the art out of the water. It's the Holiest Grail of comic collecting. The Action #1 cover art might be the most valuable piece of comic art if it existed just on history, but it would in no way be the near-universal Holy Grail that the MH Action #1 is to the comic hobby, since everything in art is one-of-a-kind, Joe Shuster is in no way among the most popular, revered or collected artists and there are far better images and artists that most people prefer. Already, GA superhero art is a bit of a red-headed stepchild in the OA hobby.

People have coveted Action #1 the comic book, and especially the MH copy, for decades. There is precedent already for a public multi-million dollar comic book sale (Action #1 9.0) whereas no American comic art has sold publicly for more than about one-fifth of that amount. I think most Action #1 fanatics would rather have what they have coveted for so long - the finished article that they are familiar with and whose condition, colors, smell and completeness they can admire - vs. just a slice of the book used to create it, even if it is the cover image. With the book, you get the cover and the whole story. You get the magic of a book which has defied the ravages of time. You get what your 12-year old self could only dream of as a child. No 12-year old ever dreamed of owning the OA to a big book vs. the book itself.

MH copy by a landslide IMO.

Fair enough.

I find it hard to believe but hey, I'm not the guy shelling out that sort of money.

The art of course. There would only be one. It is the most iconic image in this hobby. There are lots of copies of the comic but they are created by the art it's self. But it does not exist any more.

So the best currently known example is the Church copy. Nobody knows if there is a comparable or even better copy out there. Anything is possible.

It's a mood point though because none of us will ever get the chance to even see it or own it...

lol

I don't care about Action #1 in any form (comic or OA) personally. I just thought it was an interesting topic of conversation, one that we've been having over in the OA Forum with similarly mixed results.

That said, in a discussion like this, I think a lot of people probably are unduly influenced by the headlines for the incredible sums paid for fine art and either consciously or unconsciously translate that over to comic art - even though there has been scant evidence of such. To date, the top comic book sales swamp the top comic art sales (talking about American comic books and comic art) by a wide margin. 2c

I am just fooling around [although a crack option is typically a mandatory option around here :grin:] The OA should be worth more but I bet that the comic guys who don't give a hoot about OA [i was one of them a few years ago] would probably want the comic instead.

I vote for the art, but a fairly wide margin.

A microcosm example from my own circle of geek friends:

One of our geeks is a noted high grade, and pedigree, comic collector. He has tossed down some big dollars for funnybooks over the years. Unless I miss my guess, the largest sum he has paid for a single comic related item (golden age Action Comics cover) is at least twice what I suspect he has paid for a single comic book.

I may be wrong on the multiple, but I doubt I'm off by much, if at all.

lol

I am just fooling around [although a crack option is typically a mandatory option around here :grin:] The OA should be worth more but I bet that the comic guys who don't give a hoot about OA [i was one of them a few years ago] would probably want the comic instead.

you would lose that bet

I would think you would have to define more parameter. If i was buying it to resell i eould likely take the comic. But to keep for the long term the art. I dont think we have seen art that is even remotely in the ballpark if the action 1 cover. As has been said the action 1 cover art started it all without that this hobby doesnt exist. Some people dont like or care about art others would trade comics for art all day long. I would trade comics for art as i can akways buy comics but art is unique.

James G

lol

you would lose that bet

Probably but I was referring to prolific boardies like Mr. Parker [has quite the collection] who I believe doesn't give a hoot about OA stuff. I could be wrong about that.

I think the art would win. It is so iconic a cover and so heavily associated with pop culture that it would attract the deep pocketed fine art buyers who don't care or collect comics at all. I suspect this pool of buyers would leave the strict collectors of comic OA in the dust

That's how I feel about it.

It may be one of the single greatest pieces of American pop art - a market which is just now finally emerging as it was considered a fringe market even as recently as a decade ago.

For someone who wanted a premiere piece of American pop art and had the disposable income, they'd easily be able to find an Action #1 - they are available for the right price.

But to find something unique as the cover for the book? Nothing screams big money like exclusivity.

That's how I feel about it.

It may be one of the single greatest pieces of American pop art - a market which is just now finally emerging as it was considered a fringe market even as recently as a decade ago.

For someone who wanted a premiere piece of American pop art and had the disposable income, they'd easily be able to find an Action #1 - they are available for the right price.

But to find something unique as the cover for the book? Nothing screams big money like exclusivity.

Its not pop art, its illustration.

That aside,

Let me post this here as well and see your thoughts.

"Anything's possible when you are talking a cover that doesn't exist vs a comic that isn't on the block, but the trouble with the action 1 cover beating the comic is that you'd be asking the art to step sooooo far outside of precedent.

With comics, the 3m level is precedent, so making it to 6m or 7m for the comic shouldn't be a stretch at all.

With OA, the current public precedent is 600k... you'd be asking the hobby players to go from 600k to 6m or 7m overnight.

Its just too big a leap right now.

If it went for that kind of money I think it would go to someone used to dropping big coin on the printed comics, rather than on OA. Similar to when richard evans bought that action 15 cover. "