• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix Streaming

146 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Hekla said:

I would have loved to have heard more from the Establishment Authorities at the end regarding how they reached their decisions, however.

Yeah that part is a bit weak across all the episodes, the expert are presented (to an assumed ignorant general public viewer) simply as "experts" without much push-back on that designation. That said (er, written?) it is fun to watch when two prominent experts disagree and (somewhat) go into the respective "why" of their positions. Anyway, it's better than nothing I think and I wish there had been more than four episodes...being American though I do welcome the relief from the co-hosts British accents :)

8 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I watched this earlier this evening - thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome; what did you think?

And in other NF news...anybody else know there is an art connection in their new show Sabrina? (I mean aside from being an Archie property!)

8 hours ago, vodou said:

You're welcome; what did you think?

And in other NF news...anybody else know there is an art connection in their new show Sabrina? (I mean aside from being an Archie property!)

It was interesting, but more as a character study than anything else. I'd have liked to see more exploration of the institutional failure, more exploration of the techniques to reproduce individual works, but I understand there is only a limited amount of time.

The thing I will likely remember the most is Beltracchi's comment that being involved with the art market makes one less passionate about the art (paraphrasing).

Edited by SquareChaos

Not comics, but I just watched the DePalma documentary and last week watched They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, Orson Welles doc. Both good but the Welles one was better. Next up is the Kubrick one!

42 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

The thing I will likely remember the most is Beltracchi's comment that being involved with the art market makes one less passionate about the art (paraphrasing).

I found this to be true myself and backed away from the commerce (selling and buying to sell) side a lot, for that and other reasons. I've ruined other hobbies the same way in the past, by turning the hobby into a business.

38 minutes ago, Bird said:

Not comics, but I just watched the DePalma documentary and last week watched They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, Orson Welles doc. Both good but the Welles one was better. Next up is the Kubrick one!

I think I saw the same DePalma (forgot the title); I thought it was pretty good. There is definitely a parallel between making your own movies outside the studio system and making your own (indie) comics outside the Big Two (or Three or Four, if you include Image and Dark Horse). Haven't done Welles or Kubrick yet. Saw another Kubrick several years back, it was pretty scathing (of Kubrick), I wonder if this one will be too.

17 hours ago, vodou said:

Anybody re: Sabrina, or should I just share?

My wife watched it, but didn't pay attention to who the artist might be when the Harvey character was drawing in his sketchbook. So dish... what's the connection?

7 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

My wife watched it, but didn't pay attention to who the artist might be when the Harvey character was drawing in his sketchbook. So dish... what's the connection?

Ah interesting angle but not what I was shooting for. At the witches school...all the paintings, about 150 of them rotating for various scenes, are real oils by Clive Barker.

image.thumb.png.5c1242b28f24978ae53ca581864f1469.png

Edited by vodou
add image

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Ah interesting angle but not what I was shooting for. At the witches school...all the paintings, about 150 of them rotating for various scenes, are real oils by Clive Barker.

Ah ha! Very cool-

https://www.ihorror.com/clive-barker-netflix-chilling-adventures-of-sabrina/

On 12/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, ESeffinga said:

Will have to check that out.

i finally got around to watching HBO’s the Price of Everything. I think I may have sprained my eye muscles from rolling them so hard.

Not at the art... well Koons for sure, and Condo a bit as well... but more at the auction house folks. Sheesh.

I also watched Brillo Box: 3 Cents Off on Amazon. A pretty interesting view of a piece of work that an art collector bought, the prices paid over its 50+ year story from a family that bought it originally, to its later trips to the auction house again and again. It’s an interesting little story, told from a personal angle. I liked it.

I watched this recently.  Like most HBO documentary's, it was well done and interesting.   It's an entirely different universe for sure.  Some amazing work shown throughout the 1hr+, but also some stuff that I just don't understand.  

The one woman artist they interviewed a few times (her name escapes me) did some really incredible stuff, IMO.  I also really liked when they showed some of the artists actually working on a particular piece.   Watching some of their techniques is fascinating.  

On 12/1/2018 at 4:04 PM, vodou said:

Fake or Fortune is a little bit forced (cheesy, contrived) as all these staged "investigative" shows are, but still good art fun. S1E3 is amazing, the before and after of an intensive six week cleaning of an Old Master oil.

I got sucked into Fake or Fortune this week. Really fun! I find I enjoy the "travelogue", history, and research aspects. Van Dyck and Winslow Homer were standouts. It kind of works well as a primer for those wanting to dip their toes into fine art.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, vodou said:

Jack of All Trades, just found it on NF. Scary if you substitute comics for baseball cards.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6360394/

Yeah I watched it a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It sure was filled with lots of nostalgia. Like many kids growing up in the 90s, my brothers and I got sucked into baseball card collecting naively thinking we were all going to be rich today. And the revelation about the Upper Deck Griffey is pretty infuriating. Yeah the comics things...as I told a amateur dealer last weekend...I don’t know who’s going to take these books off our hands in the future. 

Funny, I watched that a week or so ago as well. I felt bad for the guy because of his Dad, and his reactions to him as an adult. That was a bummer.
The rest of it was interesting, and pretty much why since the 90s, I've thought of most things as manufactured collectibles.

I just watched one called the Bits of Yesterday. I found that one super interesting, since it parallels the comic art arc of being something parents saw as dated, as trash for kids, and that everyone saw as worthless when the next big thing came along (technology), and so a lot of those games ended up as trash. So the rarity wasn't manufactured, it's just evolved and now the kids of that era are spending BANK, to get back some of that nostalgia driven fun.
When I watched it I thought of Bronty.

Still don't want any of the art from the games (or the games) but it was an interesting "collector" watch.

-e.

Edited by ESeffinga