• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix Streaming

146 posts in this topic

I found it and him, very investing. Especially as a casual fan in my teens who know little to nothing about the actual man, but owned both necronomicon books, and had seen articles about his work outside of just painting. It had an overtone of sadness to it that was not entirely unexpected.

I adore documentaries. So much so, I forget sometimes where I've seen them, but a few off the top of my head that should be or were on Netflix. By art, some of these are different disciplines than painting or drawing.

Universal interest:

Drew: Man behind the Poster

Art of the Steal

I figure most have seen this by now, but it' really worthwhile.

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Because it's hilarious.

The Man Who Stole the Mona Lisa

Not because it's particularly good, but because of the context it gives to the history of art and it's perceived values.

Far Out isn't Far Enough: The Tomi ungerer Story

A bit more of a stretch for some...

Gerhard Richter: Painting

This won't appeal to a lot of folks, but I enjoyed it. I'm also a huge fan of his less abstract pieces because he really can paint his off, beyond just the abstract work.

Herb & Dorothy

Want to talk about art collector stories...

Bill Cunningham: New York

Especially of interest to people who follow photography I suppose. I liked it.

Beauty is Embarassing

If you aren't familiar with Wayne White, now you are. I found it creatively inspirational, but again it's a personal thing.

Eames: The architect and the Painter

Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child

In the Realms of the Unreal

Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters

Herblock

Good list Eric. I've seen most of them, but a few new ones. I'll add that (for anybody) that doesn't have NF or something isn't streaming, you can often get the DVDs from your...local library. I love free, because I'm running out of space and if it sucks, I'm not personally invested in "it". (Along with I rarely watch anything good or bad more than once!)

From Eric's list I highly recommend:

Drew

Art of the Steal

Exit...

Man Who Stole...

Herb...

Jean-Michel...

And except for Drew they're all outside comic/illustration...if you don't dig expanding your horizons, suck it :)

Can't recall the title, but the documentary on the artist in the North East coast who jumped off a bridge and swam out to his death, leaving his house as a huge art piece with his organized art inside was excellent. Maybe someone recognizes the description and posts the title.

Edit: Found it, it's How To Draw A Bunny (Ray Johnson)

Another excellent one is The Devil and Daniel Johnston about the musician and artist.

One of my favorite documentaries is Dig! (about a musician and his association with a band).

Sadly all these are only available on DVD from Netflix currently, not on streaming.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

One of my favorites is "the horses mouth" it stars Alec Guinness and is based on the life of painter Stanley Spencer. It's not a documentary but it's hilarious, I highly recommend it. It doesn't stream on Netflix, you have to get the disc from them.

Let me recommend "Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead" a recently released documentary on the history of the early and best years of National Lampoon magazine. It's a pretty standard and straightforward film. structure-wise, but I've been a fan of the mag since buying my first copy off the stand in June 1972. Probably my favorite documentary of the year and there is material in it about the art and artists, even though they could do a sequel just on that aspect of the magazine. Great stuff!!!

Second vote for How to Draw a Bunny and Herb & Dorothy

You should watch Marwencol. Try not to read anything about it, as much is given up in the description. All you need to know is that a guy with amnesia is building dioramas of WWII soldier action scenes using action figures, and photographing them. It's a documentary and the slow answering of all the "why"s is amazing.

This one is a new addition, haven't watched it yet but will:

Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World

So after watching this I can say it's definitely directed toward Giger fans. There's a certain assumption of familiarity with GIger's body of work that is built upon. One thing that becomes clear is how he had little backing for his many artistic endeavors and more or less bankrupted himself to get them done anyway. So if that's the sort of thing that interests you, you'll enjoy Dark Star as much as I did. Probably not much fun for the casual walk-on fan though.

Working on Jodorowsky's Dune now. Don't remember seeing it mentioned here by anybody. Lots of good material for the Moebius and Chis Foss fans!

Watched the first two episodes back to back. That was two weeks ago. I'll watch the rest soon enough, but I'm finding it rather easy to put other things ahead right now. The show is nice but as one (probably all) reviewer wrote: very very cliched characters. It's almost painful to anybody with a working knowledge of the art world, collectors, auctions. But the general public...I'm sure it's fine entertainment.

So what did I put ahead? Well tonight it's Bettie Page Reveals All that's dropping off NF streaming 12/20! You get Theakston and Olivia right at the opening :)

Not on Netflix, but if you can locate this one, it's a really interesting saga of one woman's battle against the collected powers-that-be who run the Jackson Pollock art market.

Who the *spoon* is Jackson Pollock?

Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? is a documentary following a woman named Teri Horton, a 73-year-old former long-haul truck driver from California, who purchased a painting from a thrift shop for $5, only later to find out that it may be a Jackson Pollock painting; she had no clue at the time who Jackson Pollock was, hence the name of the film.

Not on Netflix, but if you can locate this one, it's a really interesting saga of one woman's battle against the collected powers-that-be who run the Jackson Pollock art market.

Who the *spoon* is Jackson Pollock?

Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? is a documentary following a woman named Teri Horton, a 73-year-old former long-haul truck driver from California, who purchased a painting from a thrift shop for $5, only later to find out that it may be a Jackson Pollock painting; she had no clue at the time who Jackson Pollock was, hence the name of the film.

Yep, that's a good one!

This one is a new addition, haven't watched it yet but will:

Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World

So after watching this I can say it's definitely directed toward Giger fans. There's a certain assumption of familiarity with GIger's body of work that is built upon. One thing that becomes clear is how he had little backing for his many artistic endeavors and more or less bankrupted himself to get them done anyway. So if that's the sort of thing that interests you, you'll enjoy Dark Star as much as I did. Probably not much fun for the casual walk-on fan though.

Working on Jodorowsky's Dune now. Don't remember seeing it mentioned here by anybody. Lots of good material for the Moebius and Chis Foss fans!

The Giger film didn't really hold my interest, I'm not sure why....it made him come across as an eccentric in a very self aware way.