• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix Streaming

146 posts in this topic

I was going to pay for Jodorowsky's Dune but got aggravated when they wanted a dollar more for better resolution - that would have been the first movie I ever rented on my tv. It likely will be the first movie I ever rent on my tv, just didn't happen last night.

It was good but I wouldn't pay $1 for it, got the br out of my local library system! Give that a try if you have a good inter-library loan system in your area.

I happily rent things online, I like having it available on a moments notice, it's very convenient. Of course, I also support my local library, another great resource.

Anyway, I have yet to see Jodorowsky's Dune, but it's on my long list of items to watch.

The items I've watched from this list:

Floyd Norman: An Animated Life - this was interesting, but not as much about the art as I would have preferred. This movie was more about the man himself and the times during which he lived. There was special focus on the unique circumstances Mr. Norman faced as a direct result of his race, and eventually, of his age. While I recommend the film, keep in mind that this is more of a documentary about a man who happened to be a Disney artist, than a documentary about a Disney artist.

Giger: Dark Star - primarily, this just serves to remind us how odd of a man Giger was. There is, of course, a good deal of his art on display, but... I don't really know that I recommend this one to anyone that isn't already a pretty strong Giger fan. I didn't come away from it with any better insight into the man himself, or the art, so... I'm not sure what the purpose is.

That Image Comics documentary "The Image Revolution" is free on Amazon Prime Video right now, I'm sure most 90's kids would find it interesting.

the_image_revolution_a_l.jpg

WOW, Jim Lee got fat and grew a beard!

That Image Comics documentary "The Image Revolution" is free on Amazon Prime Video right now, I'm sure most 90's kids would find it interesting.

the_image_revolution_a_l.jpg

There's also a substantially (uncut) longer version that was sold initially that's even better IMHO.

Looking up the above Image doc, I found a bunch of other stuff on Amazon Prime-

Comic Book Independents

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVA53CO/ref=pd_cbs_318_2

Rude Dude

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SU3THLM/ref=pd_cbs_318_6

Drawing Good Girls with Adam Hughes (paid)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G1FQ1L0/ref=pd_cbs_318_11

...Will check them out.

Also, did someone already link this James O'Barr interview? It is pretty intense.

There is a new documentary on Nexfilx called Blurred Lines: Inside the Art World

I’m still in the middle of it, and it’s decent. The interviewees present various viewpoints and there are some heavy hitters and quite a few familiar faces, with a good variety of art presented.

Primarily about contemporary art, the marketplace, money, auctions, etc.

Edited by ESeffinga

After seeing the whole thing, I can say it's nothing that folks that follow just about any art market fairly closely hasn't already surmised for themselves, but it is interesting hearing some of the major "fine art" players put it into their own words. I wish they'd delved a bit deeper in the topic, but then as they sort of get at... transparency is something many players in the art market are trying to avoid for obvious reasons. Digging deeper would have been really fascinating, but highly unlikely. In truth, I was surprised at how candid some of the folks interviewed actually were.

I just wish there'd been more to it. I suppose for someone who isn't already deeply familiar with the inner workings of the art market, it might have been more revealing. I'd say it is great for folks just getting into art of any kind. There are economies of scale at play, but scale down millions into thousands, and many of the viewpoints expressed in the doc are very applicable to comic art.

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

After seeing the whole thing, I can say it's nothing that folks that follow just about any art market fairly closely hasn't already surmised for themselves, but it is interesting hearing some of the major "fine art" players put it into their own words. I wish they'd delved a bit deeper in the topic, but then as they sort of get at... transparency is something many players in the art market are trying to avoid for obvious reasons. Digging deeper would have been really fascinating, but highly unlikely. In truth, I was surprised at how candid some of the folks interviewed actually were.

I just wish there'd been more to it. I suppose for someone who isn't already deeply familiar with the inner workings of the art market, it might have been more revealing. I'd say it is great for folks just getting into art of any kind. There are economies of scale at play, but scale down millions into thousands, and many of the viewpoints expressed in the doc are very applicable to comic art.

Watched it this morning as I become snowed in. At some points it felt exactly like the quarterly OA market thread that pops up here but with different artists, auction houses and collectors.

On the heels of Eric's post above re: Blurred Lines which spends a fair bit of time dealing with Damien Hirst, we have this. Ha ha ha. Haven't watched yet, but I will.

Here's a snippet, rest at the hyperlink above:

Damien Hirst Created a Fake Documentary About His Fake Venice Show—and Now You Can See It on Netflix

The film, financed by the artist himself, seeks to re-enact the fictional backstory behind the divisive show.

Julia Halperin, January 5, 2018

Still from Damien Hirst's documentary, courtesy of Netflix.

Still from Damien Hirst's documentary, courtesy of Netflix.

The exhibition that launched a thousand angry tweets lives on—on Netflix.

Earlier this week, the streaming service released a mockumentary, “Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable,” that chronicles the fictional story behind Damien Hirst’s two-venue exhibition in Venice last year.

The slickly produced film—full of sweeping underwater shots and a swelling soundtrack—was financed by the artist himself, a spokesperson from Hirst’s company, Science Ltd, tells artnet News. “The film is something Damien wanted people to be able to come across in years to come, which explores the backstory of the project,” she says.

ship2-1024x454.jpg

One of Damien Hirst’s “found treasures.” Screenshot via Netflix & Science Ltd. “Treasures From the Wreck of the Unbelievable” (2017).

According to the 90-minute mockumentary, the vast Venice spectacle was not the 52-year-old artist’s highly anticipated comeback exhibition, which took 10 years and cost a reported $65 million to produce.

Instead, the film suggests the show was the debut presentation of long-lost treasure discovered by a team of archaeologists and divers off the coast of east Africa. The trove—so the story goes—had been assembled during the 1st or 2nd centuries by a former slave turned voracious collector, Cif Amotan II (an anagram, it turns out, for “I am fiction”).

On 1/4/2018 at 2:40 AM, ESeffinga said:

+1 I have dabbled in many different collecting fields so some of this wasn't much a surprise. I did like like that they put a point on the process of chandelier bidding, which I always knew about but never really felt affected by, until this past summer when I realized it was happening mid-auction, to me.

On January 4, 2018 at 1:40 AM, ESeffinga said:

I pretty much agree with everything you say here here, it's also poorly put together......what's with the soundtrack!? Also I know a couple people in the film and they are exactly the opposite of how they portray themselves....which is kind of funny. It's also funny that every individual seems to have the perspective that they are the ones doing the "right" way and everyone else is ruining art.

Will have to check that out.

i finally got around to watching HBO’s the Price of Everything. I think I may have sprained my eye muscles from rolling them so hard.

Not at the art... well Koons for sure, and Condo a bit as well... but more at the auction house folks. Sheesh.

I also watched Brillo Box: 3 Cents Off on Amazon. A pretty interesting view of a piece of work that an art collector bought, the prices paid over its 50+ year story from a family that bought it originally, to its later trips to the auction house again and again. It’s an interesting little story, told from a personal angle. I liked it.

On 12/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, vodou said:

Fake or Fortune is a little bit forced (cheesy, contrived) as all these staged "investigative" shows are, but still good art fun. S1E3 is amazing, the before and after of an intensive six week cleaning of an Old Master oil.

Watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. It was a little contrived and a touch overly dramatic in 'the reveal' stage but it didn't diminish the show for me. I would have loved to have heard more from the Establishment Authorities at the end regarding how they reached their decisions, however.