• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix Streaming

146 posts in this topic

Not on Netflix that I'm aware of, but just watched Art and Craft on Amazon Prime. It's up there with Art of the Steal as one of my favorite docs about art now. Sad, and funny. Touching and all kinds of messed up. And of special interest to this board because it's about forgeries, and there were a couple names in there familiar to the folks here.

http://artandcraftfilm.com/about-the-film/

Haven't watched yet (was hoping to catch it during its theatrical run in SF, glad it's now streaming), so don't know if it's addressed, but there's a direct link between Landis and this hobby.

I was lucky to catch a screening of Art and Craft and there was a Q&A with Landis and the filmmakers after. People were simultaneously appreciative of his skill and unrelenting in their criticism of his dishonesty. It was a really interesting situation to see play out.

Started watching Raiders of the Lost Art on Netflix; 6 documentaries related to art that was assumed to be lost or stolen and found later. The first episode - Hitler's Art Dealer - tells the story of the Gurlitt Case of 2010 where German police found over 1200 works of art in a small Munich apartment. Other episodes include the Monuments Men story, Mona Lisa theft, Faberge Eggs, Vermeer's and Van Gogh's. I'm only 1 1/2 episodes in, but well done so far.

Really well done series. They have 2 seasons up now.

This one is a new addition, haven't watched it yet but will:

Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World

So after watching this I can say it's definitely directed toward Giger fans. There's a certain assumption of familiarity with GIger's body of work that is built upon. One thing that becomes clear is how he had little backing for his many artistic endeavors and more or less bankrupted himself to get them done anyway. So if that's the sort of thing that interests you, you'll enjoy Dark Star as much as I did. Probably not much fun for the casual walk-on fan though.

Working on Jodorowsky's Dune now. Don't remember seeing it mentioned here by anybody. Lots of good material for the Moebius and Chis Foss fans!

(I see this post is from a while ago,) but as a Giger fan, I really enjoyed Dark Star! I loved to see his behind the scenes work on Alien. And his home--so amazing! I hope to have a sculpture garden like that someday! hm

Also, Dune! Been working on that book. I'm finding audiobooks help a lot with "books like that." If you've read it you know what I mean right?

If anyone has more recent recommendations in the dark/sci-fi dept throw 'em this way! :)

Great Giger stuff in this, have to wade through all the movie stuff, but if you are a Alien fan, well you've probably already seen this.

Big Giger fan here as well, thanks for noting Dark Star, haven't seen it yet

Great Giger stuff in this, have to wade through all the movie stuff, but if you are a Alien fan, well you've probably already seen this.

I believe ive seen this, ill probably rewatch though. :D I love watching behind the scenes stuff. I saw online the cast of Alien came together at comic con this year, that would have been awesome to see! I'm sure YouTube can hook me up.

2zgym8o.png

(Sorry to commandeer this thread for Giger/Alien talk) lol

I believe ive seen this, ill probably rewatch though. :D I love watching behind the scenes stuff. I saw online the cast of Alien came together at comic con this year, that would have been awesome to see! I'm sure YouTube can hook me up.

2zgym8o.png

(Sorry to commandeer this thread for Giger/Alien talk) lol

That Aliens doc looks well worth checking out.

Anyone know what a Giger Alien monster type piece might sell for on the open market.

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/illustration-art/hr-giger-swiss-b-1940-biomechanoid-ii-1975-83-acrylic-on-paper-laid-on-board-3925-x-275/a/5145-78227.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

This was the most recent Giger I've seen for sale. It was stunning in person. Even up close, you are hard-pressed to see how on Earth it was crafted.

Not on Netflix that I'm aware of, but just watched Art and Craft on Amazon Prime. It's up there with Art of the Steal as one of my favorite docs about art now. Sad, and funny. Touching and all kinds of messed up. And of special interest to this board because it's about forgeries, and there were a couple names in there familiar to the folks here.

http://artandcraftfilm.com/about-the-film/

Haven't watched yet (was hoping to catch it during its theatrical run in SF, glad it's now streaming), so don't know if it's addressed, but there's a direct link between Landis and this hobby.

There was a fake Cat in the Hat sketch and then a Shultz sketch pictured but that was all I saw.

Does the direct link run any deeper than this?

There was a fake Cat in the Hat sketch and then a Shultz sketch pictured but that was all I saw.

Does the direct link run any deeper than this?

Much deeper. He says in the documentary that he first started donating fine art fakes to museums in 1985 (iirc), but he was faking and selling GA cover art years earlier and got busted by the hobby for it (but the FBI did not prosecute).

My memory (pretty good but occasionally fuzzy lol ) is he was advertising GA covers for sale in OPG late 70s/early 80s under his own name. Somebody with those handy (mine are not) could verify and post pics maybe?

Anthony was great on WFAN with Mike Francesa when the 30 for 30 came out. I think it is a tough topic for him; I know I regretted casually bringing it up.

I watched Floyd Norman: An Animated Life last night. It was a lot of fun; very light but very endearing. I was going to pay for Jodorowsky's Dune but got aggravated when they wanted a dollar more for better resolution - that would have been the first movie I ever rented on my tv. It likely will be the first movie I ever rent on my tv, just didn't happen last night.

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/illustration-art/hr-giger-swiss-b-1940-biomechanoid-ii-1975-83-acrylic-on-paper-laid-on-board-3925-x-275/a/5145-78227.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

This was the most recent Giger I've seen for sale. It was stunning in person. Even up close, you are hard-pressed to see how on Earth it was crafted.

Just looks to be airbrush?

I was going to pay for Jodorowsky's Dune but got aggravated when they wanted a dollar more for better resolution - that would have been the first movie I ever rented on my tv. It likely will be the first movie I ever rent on my tv, just didn't happen last night.

It was good but I wouldn't pay $1 for it, got the br out of my local library system! Give that a try if you have a good inter-library loan system in your area.

I was going to pay for Jodorowsky's Dune but got aggravated when they wanted a dollar more for better resolution - that would have been the first movie I ever rented on my tv. It likely will be the first movie I ever rent on my tv, just didn't happen last night.

It was good but I wouldn't pay $1 for it, got the br out of my local library system! Give that a try if you have a good inter-library loan system in your area.

I'll look, we go to the library multiple times a week. The wife and 2 daughters went to Washington so last night was a good time for me to watch something like that which the coven usually discourage.

Edited by Bird