• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix Streaming

146 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, vodou said:

Haven't watched yet. Any discussion of Sienkiewicz as fill-in on 159 and Annual 6?

Further, any discussion of Jim Sherman fill-in on 151 and Bob McLeod on 151/152?

Sienkiewicz gets talked about for his New Mutants work.  

No one wants to see a documentary where they talk about fill-in artists during the run...and don't forget Bob Brown (#106), Tony DeZuniga (#110), Brent Anderson (#144, 160, Annual 5), Michael Golden (Annual 7), Walt Simonson (#171), etc...

The artists that get more than just a casual mention include:  Cockrum, Byrne, Paul Smith, Silvestri (interviewed), Jim Lee, Sienkiewicz & Liefeld (interviewed)

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I just watched trust with Nic Cage and Elijah Wood

Amazing movie in my opinion, no spoilers

I love Cage subtle Non chalant nature of his characters

Um, this is the thread for art-related movies/documentaries, not the catch-all streaming thread in The Water Cooler. :gossip: 

That said, I tried to watch "Trust" earlier this year but quickly gave up on it. :baiting: 

Edited by delekkerste

How many more six figure sold for headlines does this hobby require before somebody (a real somebody not YouTube hero) does a dedicated comic art documentary? That seems like the easiest 90 minutes to fill with just talking head after talking head discussing artists, genres, copyright, art returns, early days of fandom and random pages popping up in the background with flashing prices and "reactions" from whoever is talking at the moment. No?

Finally got around to watching the Gahan Wilson documentary Born Dead, Still Weird. It’s on Amazon for the folks that are interested. I’ve found it charming. Only ever familiar with the artwork, but new nothing of the man or his history. 

Given his recent passing, I knew I needed to finally get around to watching this. Very glad I did. 

Just finished The PBS doc American Masters: Wyeth on Amazon Prime. I’d been meaning to get to it, and am so glad I finally did. It is about Andrew Wyeth, and it touches on his place in the art world when he was a contemporary of it, and how it essentially turned on him, explaining the art world’s view of Andrew, because of what he was doing in his work (and some of the misunderstandings they level at it), but also his financial successes. They even give you the purchase price MOMA paid for Christina’s world, as they were courting him and other new artists at the time.

https://www.pbs.org/video/andrew-wyeth-trailer-i4aqby/

As an aside, my last vacation was a road trip up through New England. On our way up there, we stopped at Chadds Ford, Visited the Brandywine Museum, took tours through the houses and studios. It was a really lovely day, and the Brandywine is a must see museum for anyone interested in the work of Wyeth family at all. 

Watched this one a long time ago. Came up today in a conversation. It is about photographer Gregory Crewdson. 

I’m posting it here thinking about how so many folks are all about pencil on paper as the only thing that matters in Something like comic art. I think too many “art” collectors think of a photograph as instantaneous, and therefore not involving the creative consideration that drawing does.

But folks like McKean show just how much pre-planning and other creative endeavors can be involved in generating an image. Many dislike the collage non-painted work for comics pages and covers. Or look down on folks like Tim Bradstreet for instance.

I think this doc might give people an inkling of what kind of work can go into capturing a specific single image.

https://youtu.be/bqtyUkGSS14

Syfy Channel had their new documentary Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't on a couple nights ago.  I haven't finished watching it yet.

They also did a Zoom panel with Todd, Marc Silvestri and J. Scott Campbell, moderated by a Boardie, as part of the virtual SDCC activities the past few days. 

EDIT:  Just finished watching both.  Really fun stuff. 

Edited by delekkerste

8 hours ago, vodou said:

Made You Look was good (or perhaps more accurately: informative?), especially if you're a fan of selective prosecution :( 

Yeah I found it very interesting as well.  Just proof that, if there are a group of people who collect and deal in objects of value, there will be people who seek to take advantage of this situation through con artistry and fraud. The stakes were just incredibly high on this one.

A lot of what happened doesn't track or relate directly to comic art... but there are certain aspects that as you watch it make your Spidey sense tingle at bit.  Like I said, any time the price tags go up so high... someone will try to find a way to exploit it.

Regardless, though, the documentary is an interesting watch. I'm going to seek out the NY Times stories tonight for more info.