• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2015: The Votes are in

258 posts in this topic

This will be debated forever.

Taking a cue from the layout/publishing world - my definition of splash is only "the page one splash" (which may or may not be the title page as well). You've got the cover, it caught your attention. You open to page 1...SPLASH (basically a second cover as far as pulling the customer in goes).

Everything else is either a dps (double-page spread, any number of panels) or panel page (even if it's only one panel).

All the rest (interior splash, half splash, splashy, etc) is hype that OA pitchmen have juggled about to grease a bit more money out of collectors. See it for what it is ;)

I agree.

Disagree with the "one-panel panel page" part of it.

Also, what if pg1 has six panels leading up to a title splash on pg2?

That definition has problems.

This will be debated forever.

Taking a cue from the layout/publishing world - my definition of splash is only "the page one splash" (which may or may not be the title page as well). You've got the cover, it caught your attention. You open to page 1...SPLASH (basically a second cover as far as pulling the customer in goes).

Everything else is either a dps (double-page spread, any number of panels) or panel page (even if it's only one panel).

All the rest (interior splash, half splash, splashy, etc) is hype that OA pitchmen have juggled about to grease a bit more money out of collectors. See it for what it is ;)

I agree.

Disagree with the "one-panel panel page" part of it.

Also, what if pg1 has six panels leading up to a title splash on pg2?

That definition has problems.

If you like. I'm just selecting the original 'production' definition from the industry. Where the terms originated. Language, terminology, usage all change over time. With that definition it didn't matter how many panels were on page 1. It didn't matter what was on page 1, it was "page 1" (duh) and thus the splash. "Splash" as a term was all about "page 1", not content. Content came to be known as "splash" as a by-product of...being on page 1 (primarily and typically)! Of course putting unattractive sht on "page 1" was not the way to sell a lot of copies ;)

Somebody in the industry: What do magazine layout/production folks use today -same or different?

Unpublished Commission.

We did different categories between commissions and con drawings is the amount of tie put into the art. If its done at home commission then extra head shots at cons, alot more effort is put into it than just a con drawing.

A big thanks to Bill Cox for hosting it again this year. Bill turned on the "Best of 2015", so decided to start a day early. Comicartfans lets you post your entries under the Lowry. So that means everyone will only be able to have 5 entries each, then voting for all 6 categories (Published and unpublished) occurs at the same time.

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2015.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin.

Best of 2015 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Interior Panel pages

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)

Unpublished Convention Sketches

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Posting Entries Begins: Saturday January 8th (early entries)

Posting Ends: Jan 17 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisions of 2015.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2015 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisions of 2015.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2015 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp

2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile

3) Select the "Comicart-L Member" option (you will need this option turned on to upload entries to the Lowry)

2) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences

3) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)

4) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New

Artwork' link.

5) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2015"

6) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it applies)

7) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Interior Panel pages

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)

Unpublished Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

8) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 18th (Monday)

Voting end January 24th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

If there are any problems in uploading images please e-mail Bill (bill@cox-consulting.com) and any questions on artwork, categories or what can be uploaded please direct to me.

Let the posting begin……..

My entries and Runners-Up:

Each year the bar always seems to get higher and higher, while I didn’t find anything to top my single purchase of How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way. I did find some amazing examples from my favorite artists. I thought it would be hard at the beginning of the year to pick 5 (always is) but this year these pieces rose to the top.

My Top 5 for 2015:

Flash Gordon and Dale Arden Union Carbide Magazine Ad - Al Williamson (Splash)

Loved Al Williamson’s Flash Gordon work from King Features, always wanted an example from it. This is done just after that but it’s one of Al’s best pieces.

http://cafurl.com?i=22278

Captain Gravity TPB - Mark Schutz (Published Cover)

Read Xenozoic Tales back in the day, some of the best art to come out of the independent 80s comics. Mark inking is amazing, especially his dry brush technique. This cover is one of my favorites.

http://cafurl.com?i=22279

Avengers #58 page 18 - John Buscema and George Klein (Interior Page)

Fine example from one of the best Avengers stories.

http://cafurl.com?i=22280

Warren Vampirella #19/Door Poster recreation - Jose Gonzalez (Unpublished Other)

When it comes to Warren Vampirella this is the image I think of. Its been burned into my brain since I first saw the original poster. Thrilled to own a masterpiece by Jose.

http://cafurl.com?i=22281

Wizards & Warrior Women portfolio - Ghita (plate 6) - Frank Thorne (Published Pin-Up)

This portfolio is from Frank’s prime period just when he left Red Sonja and then starting Ghita. First published art of Ghita.

http://cafurl.com?i=22282

Runner Ups:

Dr Who & Leela iPod Commission - Dave Gibbons

When I think of Dave’s work I don’t think of Watchmen, I grew up reading Dave’s Dr Who when it was reprinted by Marvel here in the US. Been wanting a Dr Who commission from Dave, this exceeded my expectations.

http://cafurl.com?i=22283

Warren Vampirella #13 cover "The Silver Thief and the Pharaoh's Daughter" - Sanjulian

I distinctly remember this cover when I first started reading Warren Vampirella. No Vampirella but a great example by Sanjulian.

http://cafurl.com?i=22284

Betty the Maid - Olivia

What can I say I fell in love with this piece first time I saw it at Olivia’s booth. No that isn’t my handprint.

http://cafurl.com?i=22285

Amazing Spiderman strip 10-31-79 - John Romita Sr

Been wanting a Spider-Man strip featuring MJ by Romita. Great example, love the gag in the last panel.

http://cafurl.com?i=22286

The Fifth Mad Report on Spy vs Spy unpublished cover - Antonio Prohias

Great cover, too bad it was rejected. Another fine mess they got them selves into.

http://cafurl.com?i=21729http://cafurl.com?i=22287

Star Fems #2 cover - Paul Gulacy

AC Comics was a guilty please back in the 80s. While Femforce was their flagship series. Star Fems was an obscure 2 issue series before that. Paul did an amazing cover.

http://cafurl.com?i=22288

Flash Gordon Sunday Comic Strip Panel Original Art dated 11-24-35 - Alex Raymond

Finally got an example from Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond. This is his prime period, no Flash but great inking.

http://cafurl.com?i=22289

5) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2015"

I don't see any way to include additional images (except in the description itself as I did on the Flash Gordon page with a link to the "real" CAF page) ... am I right?

Only single images since its one entry per catagory.

I don't see any way to include additional images (except in the description itself as I did on the Flash Gordon page with a link to the "real" CAF page) ... am I right?

Only single images since its one entry per catagory.

Best of 2015: Post your selections starts in just a few days.

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:

Brian:

"You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories" which indicates we can enter more than 1 item in a category. It appears many have done this. Then you posted the above limiting it to 1 entry per category.

Can you help me understand which is the correct rule? I'd like to post a couple more commissions I had done but if it is just one then there is no need to do so.

Thanking you in advance for clearing it up for me.

My entries this year is dominated by a certain teenage witch.

Unpublished Convention Sketches:

GX5pVKlR_0801161237461.jpg

Sabrina the Teenage Witch by Gisèle Lagacé.

Published Interior Panel pages:

glsuShyN_0801161308101.jpg

Gisèle Lagacé - Archie #636 - page 29

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups:

C50E9etK_0801161250201.jpg

Bill Galvan - Archie #649 - page 1

Published Covers:

iEqZjn9m_0801161234361.jpg

Eduardo Barreto - Cobb #1

Published/Unpublished Commissions:

j4Ma7Yu1_0801161241211.jpg

Terry Dodson - Sabrina The Teen-Age Witch #4 cover recreation.

Click on the pictures to get a closer look at them in my Lowry.

I am looking forward to see what everyone else is offering up. This is one of the highlights of the year for all collectors of OA. Thanks for going through with it, Brian!

Sorry I ment one piece of art entry, so there should not be a need to post more than one image.

I like to include additional images to zoom in / enlarge a detail, show the published (colored) version... things like that ;)

As I took a bit of a step back in volume this year, I sold two pieces to pick up two pieces. They are great ones though. My entries for the "Best of 2015" are:

In the "Cover" category:

Batman #438 & Portfolio Cover by George Perez

And in the "Interiors" category:

Sandman #19 page by Charles Vess

Thanks for checking them out!

J

Here are my entries:

Published/Unpublished Commissions

Reaction Headshot Jam 2015 by Brendan and Brian Fraim, Reilly Brown, James Silvani, Kelly Yates, and Jonathan Case.

Interior Panel Pages

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #10 pg 55 by George Perez and Mike Esposito

Master of Kung Fu #104 pg 16 by Gene Day

Conan the Barbarian #181 pg 14 by John Buscema and Ernie Chan

These are my entries for this year (which actually required a bit of thought to decide on them):

Published Splashes/Pin-Ups:

Lady Death in Lingerie #1, page 29 (1995) - Tom Mandrake

Marvel Comics Presents #87, page 17 - The Beast - (1991) - Jae Lee and Tim Dzon

Published Interior Pages:

Spider-Man: Fear Itself OGN, page 47 (1992) - Ross Andru and Mike Esposito

Unpublished Other:

Mary Jane and Venom: Fright Night (2011) - Brandon Peterson

Supergirl: Flying Skirt Foibles (2004) - Fernando Caretta

All in all, a pretty good year for me.

My entries for this year:

Interior pages:

JLA, Secret Origins - Green Arrow (2003) by Alex Ross. I fell in love with this page the first time I saw it. It's the biggest piece in my collection since I started collecting (the statement stays true however you choose to interpret the word "biggest": literally or metaphorically).

Tyler Cross #1 p24 (2013) by Brüno. It's from quite recent french comic, so I don't expect many people here to know about it and there probably won't be many votes for this piece. Nevertheless it's a page I like very much from an artist whose work I admire a lot. If you get a chance to get a translated copy of the comic, read it. It's good.

Commission:

Usagi Yojimbo (2015) by Stan Sakai. Commission paid by my parents for my birthday. I wanted a joyful scene with some of my favorite characters from the series. Stan delivered!