• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIC LINK OFFER (legal?)

19 posts in this topic

Due to some of the responses, I've taken my original post down. Seems it was mute anyway, but just figured I would do this anyway. WOuld have deleted the whole thread, but didn't know how. Thanks again to everyone for their responses.

I don't see a problem. With his post he got people to bid on his art, which I'm sure was the goal. But nothing shady is going on. Whomever bid and wins is going to purchase the piece. They can then "flip" it to Dumur.

What would have been unethical would have been for the OP to ask a friend to bid on the piece to protect his investment and saying he'd pay for the auction if the friend won. Which I think happens more often than we'd all like to believe. :tonofbricks:

I don't see it as being any different than someone going public and saying, "I really like (some piece currently on CLink). I can't afford it right now, but would be wiling to purchase it for $XXXX after the holidays."

Someone with the capital could make an easy flip (as long as the "buyer" didn't flake).

You never know how something like this plays out. Maybe there would have been two bidders going to the mat for this in the final minutes but they see this thread and one or both decide to pull out.

In any event, :popcorn:

I don't see a problem. With his post he got people to bid on his art, which I'm sure was the goal. But nothing shady is going on. Whomever bid and wins is going to purchase the piece. They can then "flip" it to Dumur.

What would have been unethical would have been for the OP to ask a friend to bid on the piece to protect his investment and saying he'd pay for the auction if the friend won. Which I think happens more often than we'd all like to believe. :tonofbricks:

I don't see it as being any different than someone going public and saying, "I really like (some piece currently on CLink). I can't afford it right now, but would be wiling to purchase it for $XXXX after the holidays."

Someone with the capital could make an easy flip (as long as the "buyer" didn't flake).

I'm not saying its a problem, but I'm not sure it isn't either.

It's not what you or think , its what the guys at Comic Link think, and its not worth possibly losing my account over. They might think its benign, or they might fire up the tar buckets. Not worth the risk, for me. I hope it works out well for all .

well.. to play devil's advocate, if you bid and win, I don't see how comiclink can blame you, they have no clue if you are buying to keep or buying to flip.

Duanne is the only one that might be sanctioned, I don't see a bidder running into a problem

Malvin

Well now I feel bad. I honestly didn't think it was a big deal, but the way some people are reacting. Wow. I don't want to be sanctioned. I just would rather have kept the piece if it was going to go so low and if that means REPAYING for it, so be it.

I honestly don't know what is "bad" about it, though I am sure I will receive some answers as to why.

1) I'm being transparent. As someone had mentioned earlier, I am WELL AWARE that this happens ALL THE TIME with people having friends bid on items or even setting up new accounts to bid on items to create a bit of false so reserve. I am not doing that. I am simply stating that whoever wins it, if it is below a certain price, I have stated a higher price I would pay. Not too dissimilar to contacting the owner option in the Heritage auctions. I'm just doing it beforehand.

2) Comiclink would still get their commission (though admittedly, they would be getting it at the lower price as opposed to the $1500 price and I am sure Heritage gets a cut of the "make offer to winner" option. If this is a major problem, I would throw CLink $50 (10% of $500) for being a jerk.

3) I'd be paying an additional $1500 for a piece I already owned!!! I mean come on, who's the real loser in this situation? "This guy." It's a ridiculous move on my part, but I just can't let the piece go somewhere else for under $1K. I'd rather "buy it back" and be out the additional $1500.

4) The person who could have won it at $600 or at whatever price they won it at, would have ZERO obligation to sell it to me obviously. They could keep a fairly won beautiful Paul Pope cover for $600. I was simply putting an offer out there. Not a demand.

Anyway, I am sorry if my gaul offended shakey head emoticon guy. The rest of you I know to some degree and quite like actually and we could talk about it (though why would we? I'm already bored by my own typing, so I know you guys are)

Anyway, thanks for those who understood and didn't paint me with a shameful brush and for those who did... ah well, I get it.

Duane

Auctions have a way of surprising and it's rare for an item to not sell for market value on Comic Link's Featured Auctions where investors and dealers also compete against collectors and most activity occurs the day of if not the minutes leading into the end of an auction.

The piece is nice and by a published piece by a popular yet elusive (in terms of published material available for purchase) artist. It should sell for $2,800 to maybe upwards towards $5k if I had to speculate.

You're right in that you were maybe a bit premature in panicking based on the current bid price.

I do think the offer you made was admirable with the best intentions, but as they say "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" so your forthright honesty wasn't well received by a few people I guess. Whether it's within the contracted terms of ComicLink, I don't know. It seems like a grey area that could have inspired shill bidding to reach up to that $1,500 bounty which buyers vying for the piece could legitimately complain about.

For folks like you, the lesson learned is to probably just put a reserve on consigned pieces to guarantee a minimum sale amount or the piece can be returned to you. ComicLink is very good at managing pieces. After the auction, they do put the piece up for sale at that reserve price or best offer with you in control to whether to accept the best offer(s) or decline 'em.