• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different shades on comic covers
3 3

50 posts in this topic

The easiest way to tell if a book is faded vs color misprinted is to compare the colors from the front/back cover. Reds should definitely match, and you'll most likely see the reds on the back are bright while the front are faded. If the back colors look as faded as the front, then either inks were running low or out completely. 

On 6/28/2017 at 11:40 PM, adamstrange said:

Here's another comparison using scans from Heritage:  the same scanner was used for both so you can make reasonable assumptions about differences without worrying about scanner variation.  Note that the color differences of the one on the left are, in every instance, a uniform fading to olive, orange red and lt gray blue. You won't see the blue remain bright blue if the red is faded.  Yellow, btw, seems to be affected the least.

DC Faded Color Compare 2.jpg

Great example where the label color and brightness values are the same.

In addition to those two examples (the "faded" blue version vs. the "bright" blue version), here are a couple of ones I can't explain (not my books).  Both of them have the bright color scheme along the spine (Superman's blue arm and in the "M" of "Metallo" by the bottom spine), but the rest of the cover is the "faded" color scheme.  If it was reversed (90% bright with one small faded section), I think you could chalk it up to fading from a small portion of the book being exposed to light; but given that MOST of the cover is "faded" and only part is bright, I don't think this works.  That makes me think (on this book at least), it was this way from the beginning.

IMG_4611.JPG.cd0d13329a4308f5b4d4c4f06c0f23ad.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Another 143 set, blue and purple:

143.thumb.jpg.d8ca22a597ee645eadcec9926040d136.jpg 143purple.thumb.jpg.a859a2ad7b44e9b183ac232093c06c40.jpg

159 missing black makes one look blue and the other purple:

159missing.thumb.jpg.7db7acca6225f3a76e474a1dbbf294ac.jpg 159full.thumb.jpg.13d3a70e0e2771f5ca9f256702e4eab9.jpg

More subtle on these 121's - look at the 'Marvel Comics Group' banners:

59e3c627bc228_121pe.thumb.jpg.d9920feedf3a6e113b2b92a3e1e0f96b.jpg 121ne.thumb.jpg.7e17434ef7e2188b65cf9f4a3c8299d3.jpg

On 7/4/2017 at 12:17 AM, Action252Kid said:

In addition to those two examples (the "faded" blue version vs. the "bright" blue version), here are a couple of ones I can't explain (not my books).  Both of them have the bright color scheme along the spine (Superman's blue arm and in the "M" of "Metallo" by the bottom spine), but the rest of the cover is the "faded" color scheme.  If it was reversed (90% bright with one small faded section), I think you could chalk it up to fading from a small portion of the book being exposed to light; but given that MOST of the cover is "faded" and only part is bright, I don't think this works.  That makes me think (on this book at least), it was this way from the beginning.

IMG_4611.JPG.cd0d13329a4308f5b4d4c4f06c0f23ad.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

That's my CGC 6.5. I wonder how much it affects the value compared to a 6.5 that does not have this type of color variation?

Edited by SC22

I was going to sell my CGC 6.5 and buy another copy without that color variation but in the end I just don't care about that color line enough to make the switch. The book looks nice for a 6.5 so what can you do....in my case just leave it the way it is and be happy to own the book.