• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazines with Comic books bound in.

31 posts in this topic

That reminds me, how does CGC handle grading books with the flexi-disc records removed? I believe Nexus #3 had one, is the book incomplete according to them without it or do they grade it but note it on the label the flexi-disc is removed? You'd think so, but it's not paper and what if it's scratched in the book, does that lower the grade even though they don't grade records?

What about all the early Mad annuals that have records attached as inserts? Seems to fall into the same category. If the records aren't present, I'm not interested. If they are still attached I'm doubly interested. I pick them up wherever I can and have a complete run of all the annuals with ALL inserts attached....be they records, posters, stencils, mobiles, voodoo dolls, labels, records, flags, build your own zeppelins, etc. If they aren't present, I believe the mags are a waste of time being graded. They are once again, mutilated magazines. Call them 'qualified' or what have you, but to me it's just CGC collecting payment on a stiff.

I own two comics that came with flexidisks,both from a tiny company called pyramid.eighties new wave stuff. Never would have been interested if not for the records.I did ruin it and listen to them though,but keep them in a protective paper sleeve on then other side of the comic and backing board.good new wave,on the tip of my tongue though...arrgh

This conversation crosses over the marvel key inserts in record albums. They get graded as stand alone.

Indeed. I believe that was rjpb's point as well.

It appears to make perfect sense that CGC would grade inserts like the Golden Records reprints as stand alone items: I mean, wouldn't it be rather absurd if the condition, presence, or absence of the record and sleeve that the comic came with had any bearing on the grade of the comic? The same goes for items like MOTU mini comics, or Aurora Comic Scenes instruction booklets: They should be graded purely on their state of preservation and their integrity as bound paper items. Of course, any collectible product that comes with such a bound paper item is incomplete without it, and consequently the value and grade of that product will be compromised should the item be removed or lost. The bound paper item itself, however, will retain some value as a stand alone product, and, as we are all probably aware, sometimes this values can be very significant (As a case in point, check out this Clay Fighters Sculptor's Cut Nintendo 64 manual that recently sold on ebay).

Perhaps this is CGCs reasoning behind grading RAW's Maus inserts as stand alone items: When submitted, inserts are judged purely on their state of preservation and integrity as singular bound paper items, without any regard for where the items came from.

Most collectors are completists by nature, and when they decide to send their Golden Records comic reprint, Aurora model kit instruction, or MOTU mini comic off to get graded by CGC, they will likely--for the sake of completion--retain the products from which such paper items came. What makes the Maus insert so anomalous, is that, even when reunited with the issue of RAW from which it came, it will never again truly complete it. Detaching the Maus insert from RAW gives the insert a life of its own as a stand alone entity, but at the same time it mutilates the binding of the source from which it came, and forever messes with the state of preservation and integrity of RAW as a bound paper item: To remove a Maus insert from RAW to have it graded would be analogous to opening a MIB Eternia Playset to get at the MOTU mini comic inside the box; in short, it doesn't make sense. If the insert was already removed by some unknown third-party years ago, I guess it's a different story; I might even endorse grading under such circumstances.

50, my guess would be that if a flexidisc was part of the original binding of a comic or magazine, its removal would result in an incomplete grade from CGC, or at the very least the absence of the disc would have very adverse effects on the grade. Not sure how they would handle a scratched disc still attached to the binding. The special limited edition of Mark Bode's Miami Mice #3 also had a flexi disc by the way.

porcupine48, I would love to see the two comics you mention, they sound right up my alley!

How about a thread with magazines with regular comic books that where added/bound in, but removeable. Here's a few that comes to mind.

Issues of Raw has the Maus comic.

There's a issue of Surfer that had a comic.

There's an issue of Hustler that had a R. Crumb comic bound in.

There's another that I'm forgetting that had an issue of Gory Stories Quarterly #2 1/2 bound in.

I know that an issue of Apple Pie had part of Real War Comix in it, but it was part of the magazine, not an addition.

Others examples of inserted UG material:

1) I do not know if it was meant to be removable - trimmed copies of Uncle Sam Takes LSD bound into copies of Rip-Off Review of Western Culture 1;

2) Some issues of Ph*cked Up Funnies were inserted into NYU yearbooks;

3) The MLF Communique 1 was inserted into copies of Coevolution Quarterly (21?);

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

Excellent catches dannyboycheapyboy! I'm also not sure about whether Uncle Sam Takes LSD in the Rip Off Review of Western Culture #1 was meant to be removable, nor do I know whether the bound version of Ph*cked Up Funnies distributed as an insert with the SUNY yearbook was removable. I just checked on Coevolution Quarterly #21, and, while MLF Communique #1 is printed in there, it looks to be a four-page spread in the magazine rather than a removable insert... Indeed, I don't know whether there is a standalone version of MLF Communique #1. Anyone have their Kennedy Guide handy?

metarog, I didn't know about Warren's Goblin magazine, but checking up on it I came across an interesting anomaly in CGC's labeling of the book which might be relevant to questions raised in this thread about how CGC treats magazines with comic inserts. I noticed that while some graded copies of Goblin #1 note the 8 page color insert on the labels, others do not. This inconsistency might be due merely to a change over time in CGC's policy of how to label this particular magazine; however, it did cross my mind that maybe CGC simply doesn't mention the insert on the label when it isn't there. If the latter is the case, it would be confirmation that CGC does not consider missing comic inserts as deleterious to the grade of magazines; CGC graded copies of Goblin #1 which do not have the 8 page color insert mentioned on the label still received high grades and universal blue labels.

Here is a copy with the 8 page insert mentioned:

goblinmag9.6.jpg

And here one without mention of the 8 page insert:

goblinmag9.2.jpg