• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What series do you secretly hate that the comic community always praises?

190 posts in this topic

Abhor - anything new, I pick them off the shelf look at them, and the art, layout, wording, just everything is just chintzy and wrong so I put them back.

Loved - Metal Men , Just as ComicConnisuer does, the original series was a fun read , not so serious and I really liked "TIN"

Dark Knight Returns. I read it in the mid 2000's. I found it terribly dates, bad art, bad writing. I didn't see how this story brought back the darker Batman stories when Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil had already made the dark knight return a decade earlier.

...J Scott Campbell Artwork

...every single one of those Grimm Fairy Tales "books" and all their derivatives.

Thank you for posting this. Campbell's art is terrible even by the standards of adolescent Ebay booby pictures.

That people spend 5, 10 and sometimes 10+k on his OA is one of the reasons I gradually withdrew from that side of the hobby- the realization that for the most part OA has nothing to do with art.

Superman

Other than a storyline here and there he has always been so boring to me.

I used to be the same. Have you read All-Star Superman, Red Son or Injustice: Gods Among Us? They all give non-standard treatments of the man in blue and have changed my opinion.

There have been good story lines. I have wanted to read the Red Son stuff. But as a whole Superman comics are not that good in my opinion. (shrug)

With the exception of Animal Man, just about everything Grant Morrison writes. Highbrow doesn't have to mean confusing and vague.

I like some of his work (e.g. Batman RIP) but it's almost as if he leaves out important information on purpose. Either that or the editing sucks... ;)

Walking Dead - I even read the first 5 trades at the library and still don't get it.

Neal Adam's and Denny O'Neil's Green Lantern - I bought them new off the stand but they were way down my reading list.

Anything Aquaman

Cavewoman

I vote Walking Dead too. (And I am a huge horror fan). I picked up the first issue, thumbed through it and put it back. Other than the financial part I have no regrets.

Single book... Batman Advs #12 and Harley Quinn in general. Too "cartoony". Terrible art.

Modern comics in general. Most are done on a computer and look like it. Last "modern" series I quit buying was the Simpsons. It IS a cartoon and was very intertaining for a long time.

I really enjoyed Killing Joke (the art is insane). Also the Vertigo Swamp Thing and Sandman. Great art and well written.

even the romita stuff????

I have to say that the Romita Spidey books, though beautifully illustrated, are pretty inferior to the Ditko run. Except for the odd exception like ASM 50-52, Spectacular Spider-Man Mag #2, they are fairly run of the mill. Ditko was definitely the heart and soul of the series, and when he left, Stan really didn't know what to do with it. Adding to this is that many of the "Romita" issues actually have art by Jim Mooney or someone else, and they just don't hold up. I actually thought the book improved when Gerry Conway took over(heresy, I know). These are my conclusions after reading issues 1-140 via the Masterworks.