• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charles Burns

43 posts in this topic

What was really nice about the original art Mr. Burns handed out at his signing, was that he had taken each piece and mounted it on a board and then signed it right underneath the drawing and put a date on it as well. It was immediately suitable for framing.

Don't know about the rest of you guys, since you seem to be preoccupied with pages that were actually published, but the detailed sketch I received is as delightful to look at as almost any page in Black Hole. He went above and beyond just about any artist appearance I've ever been privvy to.

Only Joe Coleman left as much of an impression when at an appearance I attended, which was sparsely populated, he drew a detailed portrait of me on the first blank page of the book he was there promoting. Fine art, and a fine artist encounter (both), to be sure!!!

That is fantastic! He was kind and generous with his time when I met him, but he wasn't handing out free art!

I'm not concerned if a piece was published (in this case), but I would prefer it looks finished. Part of Burns' appeal to me is how tight and perfect the line is, so I'd like any piece I buy to have that quality,, at least when paying FMV. If it's free or cheap my requirement becomes moot.

This is a cool book. It's huge - 12 x 16 inches. Contains black and white prints of stuff I've seen and some I haven't. Printed on super thick matte card stock. Any one of these could be cut out and would feel like a high quality silkscreen print. Just lovely.

IMG_4615.jpg

Oh, the cover to Dope Comix #5 would be a nice find. I'll take any page from the Pixie Meat (with Gary Panter) book also.

http://comixjoint.com/dopecomix5.html

That cover is superb. Probably one of my favourite works by burns.

This piece was in the Baumgold show, for sale some years back. Don't recall the price.

Hello, I saw your posts and let me tell you that there's a magnificent original art on sale on Heritage: it's the cover for the Black Hole #3, a big awful worm with a nice inked lettring

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/charles-burns-black-hole-3-cover-original-art-kitchen-sink-press-1996-/p/7208-43002.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Hope you'll enjoy this beautiful view !

black hole.jpg