• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charles Burns

43 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on why Charles Burns OA is difficult to find? He has a significant body of work and he has been working in comics and other fields since the 1980s but his work does not come up for sale very often.

Thanks

Jake

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on why Charles Burns OA is difficult to find? He has a significant body of work and he has been working in comics and other fields since the 1980s but his work does not come up for sale very often.

Thanks

Jake

Hi Jake,

I am a huge Burns fan.

I don't think he sells any of his comic work. I have never seen a Black Hole page for sale, or a page from any other comic I can think of. I have seen the occasional pin up or end paper illustration for sale. I've also seen various images from Believer Magazine, for which he provides illustrations.

Mostly you can find limited edition prints, which are expensive but beautifully made.

The only original I have is a painted transparency/cel which was painted up in layers. I took it to a signing so he could confirm he painted it.

Tim

Sometimes he gives it away. I went to a signing he did for Black Hole and at the end of his presentation he gave every attendee a wonderful preliminary sketch that he had done of the various characters found in the book. He just brought them with him in a sort of pile. Really nice guy and very approachable, as well. I cherish mine.

http://www.tcj.com/im-not-on-this-planet-forever-a-charles-burns-interview/

Here's an interview with Burns from comic book journal...the site is also a pretty good resource for interviews, just enter the artist's name you are looking for in the search.

Adam baumgold gallery also sells Burns art

Baumgold only has the believer pieces left (and all the good ones like Ai Wei Wei / Fidel Castro are gone) and Scott Eder doesn't want to part with his pages/covers.

I know where some is. I was more interested in opinions on why it is so hard to find given the size of Burn's body of work is not small. He has done a fair bit of illustration work outside of comics but you never see those come up either.

Anyone ever seen the original art Charles did for Iggy Pop Brick by Brick album cover?

81CxuwtRh4L._SL1300_.jpg

Freakin' love it. I also love Iggy.

I have this poster, but I believe there's a signed limited print as well.

http://www.tcj.com/im-not-on-this-planet-forever-a-charles-burns-interview/

Here's an interview with Burns from comic book journal...the site is also a pretty good resource for interviews, just enter the artist's name you are looking for in the search.

Adam baumgold gallery also sells Burns art

Baumgold only has the believer pieces left (and all the good ones like Ai Wei Wei / Fidel Castro are gone) and Scott Eder doesn't want to part with his pages/covers.

I know where some is. I was more interested in opinions on why it is so hard to find given the size of Burn's body of work is not small. He has done a fair bit of illustration work outside of comics but you never see those come up either.

I would say his body of work is rather small. He's meticulous. Not part of the monthly machine.

He's done thousands of pages and illustrations.

If The-Collector had responded with this, I would have thought he's interested in an informative discussion, and I'd go count pages (I own all of his published work ). For you I can't be bothered.

If The-Collector had responded with this, I would have thought he's interested in an informative discussion, and I'd go count pages (I own all of his published work ). For you I can't be bothered.

I think your first response explains quite a lot. He just doesn't sell his work. I think I agree with you his work is relatively small, that is compared to others. But overall I would say it is not insignificant and I would expect more to be avaliable given what he has done.

I think your first response explains quite a lot. He just doesn't sell his work. I think I agree with you his work is relatively small, that is compared to others. But overall I would say it is not insignificant and I would expect more to be avaliable given what he has done.

Agreed. In fact I feel his body of work is much more significant than most mainstream comic book artists (at least to me), it's just not that plentiful. Most of his graphic novels were under 100 pages, which is just a couple months of a mainstream superhero book. And the fact that he appears to not sell black hole pages - his largest project at 600+ pages - makes it even tougher to find. Another thing worth mentioning - he has some crossover appeal with the fine art world, so we are competing with a few of those folks as well as comic fans.

I wish more work was available too, as it would make it a bit less expensive. As was mentioned earlier, when you do find it, you pay a hefty price.

What was really nice about the original art Mr. Burns handed out at his signing, was that he had taken each piece and mounted it on a board and then signed it right underneath the drawing and put a date on it as well. It was immediately suitable for framing.

Don't know about the rest of you guys, since you seem to be preoccupied with pages that were actually published, but the detailed sketch I received is as delightful to look at as almost any page in Black Hole. He went above and beyond just about any artist appearance I've ever been privvy to.

Only Joe Coleman left as much of an impression when at an appearance I attended, which was sparsely populated, he drew a detailed portrait of me on the first blank page of the book he was there promoting. Fine art, and a fine artist encounter (both), to be sure!!!