• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know ebay user igb.corp

92 posts in this topic

He puts out super high grade restored GA and SA books. All books are graded by the other chaps so I can't post scans.

In the current CC auction these are his books:

9.4 Bat 1

9.0 Sup 1

9.6 Pep 22

9.6 More Fun 73

9.2 Archie 1

Next ComicConnect auction, so far they have:

9.6 More Fun 52

9.8 Incredible Hulk 1 - White Pages

9.6 Hulk 1 OWW

9.8 Showcase 4 - OWW

Fantastic Comics 3 9.6/9.8

He has just listed an Action 2 9.2 on ebay. He has also sold a BB28 9.6 on ebay and an AF 15 9.6 among others.

The quality of end product seems superb but hard to really judge from a scan. ALL books are extensively restored. He does his own work.

Isn't this just the reason why the market has treated restored books so harshly - especially those with extensive work done? Sure, it looks great, but you don't really know what you're buying.

I think the bigger problem may be that instinctively people realize that as techniques improve more and more books will be restored to this level (can be restored to this level) and the value of an extensively restored HG book will be watered down.

There are skilled artists recreating wholesale complex masterworks from the Renaissance that but for chemical analysis and rigid inspection are indistinguishable from originals.

There is certainly the potential for many more books to be restored (extensively) to very high grades.

He also has an extensively restored Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #1 9.8(!) listed on eBay.

I saw that. ( Link for the lazy) Amazing that the restoration can leave so few visible flaws to get that eye watering grade!

I note that it's the 'other guys' - has CGC ever given a restored book a 9.8?

He also has an extensively restored Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #1 9.8(!) listed on eBay.

I saw that. ( Link for the lazy) Amazing that the restoration can leave so few visible flaws to get that eye watering grade!

I note that it's the 'other guys' - has CGC ever given a restored book a 9.8?

Dont know but the higher grade gets great advertisement then gets your business looks like.

has CGC ever given a restored book a 9.8?

yes

But an extensively restored book? ???

I'd think the interior work on this book should knock that grade out of contention very quickly, regardless of how nice the cover looks.

has CGC ever given a restored book a 9.8?

yes

But an extensively restored book? ???

I'd think the interior work on this book should knock that grade out of contention very quickly, regardless of how nice the cover looks.

IIRC it wasn't an EP but I do recall a boardie posted a scan of a restored CGC 9.8

Isn't this just the reason why the market has treated restored books so harshly - especially those with extensive work done? Sure, it looks great, but you don't really know what you're buying.

For what it's worth, I agree - but I hate to say, this may be the tipping point - unrestored books have become so expensive that a secondary market in 'frankensteins' might be 'timely' (no pun intended).

I used to say (to anyone who would listen, which wasn't many) that bronze age comics would never be worth anything. How's that for foresight?

He puts out super high grade restored GA and SA books. All books are graded by the other chaps so I can't post scans.

In the current CC auction these are his books:

9.4 Bat 1

9.0 Sup 1

9.6 Pep 22

9.6 More Fun 73

9.2 Archie 1

Next ComicConnect auction, so far they have:

9.6 More Fun 52

9.8 Incredible Hulk 1 - White Pages

9.6 Hulk 1 OWW

9.8 Showcase 4 - OWW

Fantastic Comics 3 9.6/9.8

He has just listed an Action 2 9.2 on ebay. He has also sold a BB28 9.6 on ebay and an AF 15 9.6 among others.

The quality of end product seems superb but hard to really judge from a scan. ALL books are extensively restored. He does his own work.

I cant seem to find a link to the next CC auction on the site. Would you be kind enough to supply? I'm really curious to see this Fantastic #3!

From what I've heard his technique involves excessive amounts of color and fixatives applied directly to the paper, creating an incredible appearance but a very unnatural look and feel. These books tend to look great in a holder but definitely do not have any kind of originality to them. I would think, because of Matt's and Chris's restoration backgrounds, CGC grades the technique and the results, CBCS simply grades the appearance. That has to be the primary reason these books work with CBCS's grading process and not CGC's.