• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 5 CGC 9.4 (blue label!!)

84 posts in this topic

Yeah my take is that the price isn't too bad really especially given that you can offer less.

I think it already sold once as a 9.4 though? Anybody remember for how much?

It's not on GPA....... pretty sure it sold at HA as a 9.4..... I thought for 70Kish.... but my memory sucks. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

sold on CL, that's why not on gpa (thumbs u

it would have to be. the thing is, 9.4 looks like a solid grade for it based on the front. Wonder if it was a press job or what.

I have to disagree about it looking like a solid 9.4. The bottom of the spine looks too rubbed, and there's also some wear around the lower staple. I'd have gone 9.2 at the highest, and that's without seeing it in hand—could be lower.

It's not on GPA....... pretty sure it sold at HA as a 9.4..... I thought for 70Kish.... but my memory sucks. GOD BLESS...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5351132

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5351132

The link to the CLink auction in one of the posts in that thread has expired. Lately, I've been bidding on every one of their books that I think I might be remotely interested in, just so I have record of the hammer price.

Of course, it makes it more difficult when the auction begins to find the books that I'm actually interested in bidding on. :D

it would have to be. the thing is, 9.4 looks like a solid grade for it based on the front. Wonder if it was a press job or what.

I have to disagree about it looking like a solid 9.4. The bottom of the spine looks too rubbed, and there's also some wear around the lower staple. I'd have gone 9.2 at the highest, and that's without seeing it in hand—could be lower.

I think the grade is solid and is a credit to CGC frankly.

hm

Well I wonder what made it an 8.5 in its previous life? Hard to not be a cynic but my first thought is that this is big dollar book monkey business [again] but more likely went through a dry clean and press the second time around.

Well I wonder what made it an 8.5 in its previous life? Hard to not be a cynic but my first thought is that this is big dollar book monkey business [again] but more likely went through a dry clean and press the second time around.

Kinda makes you wonder. Still a beautiful book be it a 8.5 or a 9.4.

..... then there's the possibility that CGC graded it way too tightly as an 8.5..... and if I recall, the 8.5 slab looked mighty nice for the grade. Personally, I'd expect the scenario was a bit of both worlds.... undergraded AND then pressed. The one drawback with buying the book and not the label is that savvy buyers begin to assume that only undergraded books are accurately graded. GOD BLESS...

..... then there's the possibility that CGC graded it way too tightly as an 8.5..... and if I recall, the 8.5 slab looked mighty nice for the grade. Personally, I'd expect the scenario was a bit of both worlds.... undergraded AND then pressed. The one drawback with buying the book and not the label is that savvy buyers begin to assume that only undergraded books are accurately graded. GOD BLESS...

I keep rereading this ... it may be too Zen for me. hm