• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 5 CGC 9.4 (blue label!!)

84 posts in this topic

pressing and other secret methods make this franken book 9.4 from a 8.5.. a previous owners nightmare..and somebody an extra 100 Grand profit... this is the tip of the iceberg..its a strong 9.2 in my opinion by the way now thanks to god knows what was done to it.

pressing and other secret methods make this franken book 9.4 from a 8.5.. a previous owners nightmare..and somebody an extra 100 Grand profit... this is the tip of the iceberg..its a strong 9.2 in my opinion by the way now thanks to god knows what was done to it.

Serious !? There are no added pieces to it. It is not an extensively restored copy. It is an unrestored copy.

Could be that the other guys grades are so high that it gets them great advertisement then your business.

CGC might have backed off being so strict on there grades.

This book was graded years before the other guys existed. It was graded in 2011.

It was graded by those "other guys." ;)

hm. Pretty sure Borock was long gone from CGC by the time this book was on the market if that's what you mean.

Could be that the other guys grades are so high that it gets them great advertisement then your business.

This book was graded years before the other guys existed. It was graded in 2011.

hm. Pretty sure Borock was long gone from CGC by the time this book was on the market if that's what you mean.

West is what I meant [but kidding].

:preach:

Serious !? There are no added pieces to it. It is not an extensively restored copy. It is an unrestored copy.

a book going from 8.5 to 9.4..with that amount of grade jump...well not ALL restoration is detectable.....

This is just me..... and everyone has their own personal nuances when it comes to grading...... but I'm of the belief that an 8.5 should have defects that would make it physically impossible to upgrade to 9.4, even with pressing. On the other hand, a small back cover stain could have been removed through dry cleaning, but then I have to question what kind of small stain is going to drop a book all the way from 9.4 to 8.5 ? If this is what occurred then I think most of us would think that stains are being treated too harshly. Again, this is just 2c GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Those kinds of grade bumps happen all the time. I've had a 6.5 bump to 9.0, and an 8.0 bump to 9.6, both with a simple pressing.

Stories like this reaffirm just exactly how much I love this hobby.

While it is a fantastic book no doubt, I have to imagine the pool of buyers for a $175,000 non-Superman Action cover is extremely small.

Extremely small as in zero. If someone is dumb enough to pay that price, he deserves what he gets. There are people in the world with more money than brains, however.

While it is a fantastic book no doubt, I have to imagine the pool of buyers for a $175,000 non-Superman Action cover is extremely small.

Extremely small as in zero. If someone is dumb enough to pay that price, he deserves what he gets. There are people in the world with more money than brains, however.

... The only shame is that there is no Directory...... GOD BLESS....

-jmbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... The only shame is that there is no Directory...... GOD BLESS....

True! Where are those guys when I want to sell a comic? :roflmao:

I personally love the non supes covers. You've got 1000 other action issues to choose from if you want a supes cover. If you want one that is cool/early/different, you only have like 10 covers to choose from, most of them beautifully rendered as well

I know that's not populist thought but man 2-6 are probably my favorite early covers in the run

I personally love the non supes covers. You've got 1000 other action issues to choose from if you want a supes cover. If you want one that is cool/early/different, you only have like 10 covers to choose from, most of them beautifully rendered as well

I know that's not populist thought but man 2-6 are probably my favorite early covers in the run

I like some of the non-Supes covers, too, although I'd rank some of the others higher than this one (especially #2, #4, and, just because it's an early sci-fi cover, #12). The cover to #5 isn't bad; it's just the asking price that's silly. Maybe the seller just priced it high to create some buzz & knows he'll never get anywhere close to that amount for it.

+1

Although $175K seems high now, it may not in a couple of years. Many, many books are breaking into six figures these days. Among the first 18 issues of Action Comics, only two books have graded as high as a 9.4, and this is one of them. Therefore, this doesn't strike me as a book that has no business being in the esteemed (and ever growing) group of books that are potentially worth a price this high.

I used to have all except for #8

...That was (and always has been...) quite a feat. Honestly, it would be impossible for me to choose 5 favorites.... there are so many covers in the run that I love.... and for many different reasons. GOD BLESS....

+1

Although $175K seems high now, it may not in a couple of years. Many, many books are breaking into six figures these days. Among the first 18 issues of Action Comics, only two books have graded as high as a 9.4, and this is one of them. Therefore, this doesn't strike me as a book that has no business being in the esteemed (and ever growing) group of books that are potentially worth a price this high.

(thumbs u

I like some of the non-Supes covers, too, although I'd rank some of the others higher than this one (especially #2, #4, and, just because it's an early sci-fi cover, #12). The cover to #5 isn't bad; it's just the asking price that's silly. Maybe the seller just priced it high to create some buzz & knows he'll never get anywhere close to that amount for it.

Yeah, I hear you, #5 is no one's favorite cover, but its still a very nice cover, really early, and really hg. Its still one heckuva special book.

I like 2/3/6 best and rank 4 and 5 below that group.