• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 5 CGC 9.4 (blue label!!)

84 posts in this topic

I used to have all except for #8

...That was (and always has been...) quite a feat. Honestly, it would be impossible for me to choose 5 favorites.... there are so many covers in the run that I love.... and for many different reasons. GOD BLESS....

-jmbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I found a group shot pic, minus the 14, 16 and 18. Then, i'm done derailing the thread. :)

action1through12groupshot006.jpg

...That was (and always has been...) quite a feat. Honestly, it would be impossible for me to choose 5 favorites.... there are so many covers in the run that I love.... and for many different reasons. GOD BLESS....

I found a group shot pic, minus the 14, 16 and 18. Then, i'm done derailing the thread. :)

Feel free to de-rail any thread at any time with that sort of pic! :applause:

pressing and other secret methods make this franken book 9.4 from a 8.5.. a previous owners nightmare..and somebody an extra 100 Grand profit... this is the tip of the iceberg..its a strong 9.2 in my opinion by the way now thanks to god knows what was done to it.

Serious !? There are no added pieces to it. It is not an extensively restored copy. It is an unrestored copy.

a book going from 8.5 to 9.4..with that amount of grade jump...well not ALL restoration is detectable.....

Possibly, but you also have to remember that there is a relatively long list of undisclosed "work" besides just pressing that can be done on a book that CGC considers to be be non-restoration. :gossip:

Restoration on a book is bad, but maximization of potential for a book is the name of the game here. :P

pressing and other secret methods make this franken book 9.4 from a 8.5.. a previous owners nightmare..and somebody an extra 100 Grand profit... this is the tip of the iceberg..its a strong 9.2 in my opinion by the way now thanks to god knows what was done to it.

Serious !? There are no added pieces to it. It is not an extensively restored copy. It is an unrestored copy.

a book going from 8.5 to 9.4..with that amount of grade jump...well not ALL restoration is detectable.....

Possibly, but you also have to remember that there is a relatively long list of undisclosed "work" besides just pressing that can be done on a book that CGC considers to be be non-restoration. :gossip:

Restoration on a book is bad, but maximization of potential for a book is the name of the game here. :P

The problem is Lou, it should not be a game, but equal footing for all collectors..that is why the single color label is essentital.

that was one heck of a run Mike, I really enjoyed watching you build it during those years, (thumbs u

Could be that the other guys grades are so high that it gets them great advertisement then your business.

CGC might have backed off being so strict on there grades.

This book was graded years before the other guys existed. It was graded in 2011.

It was graded by those "other guys." ;)

hm. Pretty sure Borock was long gone from CGC by the time this book was on the market if that's what you mean.

West is what I meant [but kidding].

Well, from what most board members are implying here with respect to the other company's grading, it's clear what the problem was in terms of CGC's prior grading inconsistencies.

Now that the two problem graders who obviously knew nothing at all about grading are gone, CGC's grading is now at the top of their game and evidently head and shoulders above the other guys. lol

Either that or Borock and Timely forgot everything they ever knew about grading once they left the warm and cozy confines of CGC. :screwy:

That looks like my old #6 you've got there. I sold it in 1980... :sorry:

While it is a fantastic book no doubt, I have to imagine the pool of buyers for a $175,000 non-Superman Action cover is extremely small.

Extremely small as in zero. If someone is dumb enough to pay that price, he deserves what he gets. There are people in the world with more money than brains, however.

Aahhh.....Action #5!

For all you long-time collectors here, remember back in the day when Action #5 was broken out on its own and designated as rare by Overstreet and was well ahead of its surrounding issue in terms of guide value.

Not the case any longer. hm

I want the 2 ya the 3 and 4 yup 5-6 and 9 DAM i want the whole thing. (worship)

The cover to #5 isn't bad; it's just the asking price that's silly. Maybe the seller just priced it high to create some buzz & knows he'll never get anywhere close to that amount for it.

Or maybe the seller priced it that high because of both the big number on the top left hand corner of the slab and the blueness of the label.

And as it says in the Seller's Grading Comments: "Nothing else even comes close". ;)

I want the 2 ya the 3 and 4 yup 5-6 and 9 DAM i want the whole thing. (worship)

As for me, I've always like the 12 for the si-fi cover and then the 3 and 5 followed by the 11.

Comicdona: That's an absolutely beautiful run you've managed to compile there. Congrats!!! :cloud9:

12....... the Superman cover that isn't a Superman cover :cloud9: ....... Superman in the sidebar and a rocket blasting off into space...... sure always said Superman to me. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's raw again.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8943192&fpart=1

I'm not sure if mine had that writing on the cover or not...but when I bought it in 1973 from an Antique store I was confused about the B&W story. I thought it might be a fake... :D

The store owner had the gall to charge me $30 for the book...Outrageous!

By 1980 the value of #6 in that condition had settled in and not moved from $300 for a couple years, so I sold the book to Gary Coddington for that amount. Now I wish I hadn't...Ain't that a familiar story...

It's raw again.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8943192&fpart=1

I'm not sure if mine had that writing on the cover or not...but when I bought it in 1973 from an Antique store I was confused about the B&W story. I thought it might be a fake... :D

The store owner had the gall to charge me $30 for the book...Outrageous!

By 1980 the value of #6 in that condition had settled in and not moved from $300 for a couple years, so I sold the book to Gary Coddington for that amount. Now I wish I hadn't...Ain't that a familiar story...

It surely is! :D