• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Felix,

You should interview Andrew Farago of the Cartoon Art Museum. It would be interesting to hear stories about past comic art exhibits he had put together and the artists he had worked with. Also about the CAM art collection.

I've chatted with Andrew a few times. He's very thoughtful and soft-spoken. I don't get the sense at all that'd he'd be interested in doing a podcast. But I will keep him in mind!

7 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Really interesting to hear Andy and David talk about the deal from two different perspectives. I can understand Andy's point of view on the cover, even though I have not had any art deals like that. Stolen art can be a very tricky subject. Andy is a great sport to talk about the original deal and how it evolved into recently putting it in the auction.

I can see both sides, too. An unfortunate situation for both parties, neither one at fault. I would have insisted, though, that the dealer who originally sold the piece get involved. Given the chain of events, it seemed to me the obvious (and fair) thing to do.

And yes, Andy is a great sport!

7 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

When you talked to Andy about the deal with top piece of an B artist trading for a midrange piece of an A artist. For me when it comes to what I like and what I would trade away, the level of the artists doesn't come into play, nostalgia can trump even the highest ranking artist if the piece had great meaning to me.

No question...nostalgia often trumps all in this hobby.

1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Felix, I really enjoyed this two-parter. I do like the mix of having a veteran collector, a mid-veteran, and a new collector at the round table. That mix brings in fresh perspectives and it shows that this is everyone's hobby. It's also cool to get the professional comic artists' perspective.

Thanks! I like that mix , too, but it wasn't intentional. Just lucky! No doubt, you'll be hearing from them all again down the line.

Felix, are you able to calculate traffic on your podcasts?  Are the ones with superstar collectors like Dave Mandel and Albert Moy the more popular (A-list is gonna A-list :bigsmile:), more numerically listened to, or are the ones a little more off the beaten path getting as much patronage?

Scott

Another great podcast. 

With regards to holding back the episode till after the auction - I wonder if the final price would have been higher if the podcast was released earlier. With the idea being that any publicity is good publicity. Especially since the elektra cover itself was bought properly .

Edited by Panelfan1

28 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Felix, how about an alternative option to get the secret podcasts for us android users? Can I share a link on social media? On another site? Etc.? This Apple bias is killing me brother!

The whole deal with iTunes is that I'm told a podcast's visibility and profile is directly related to the number of ratings/reviews. I don't know how true that is, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt! And seems like not a lot to ask...it costs nothing!

I'm working on something for non-Apple folks, though. But it might not be quite as free as leaving a review! (Hint: It may involve benefiting a charity.)

57 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Felix, how about an alternative option to get the secret podcasts for us android users? Can I share a link on social media? On another site? Etc.? This Apple bias is killing me brother!

Ditto. Eff Apple :)

24 minutes ago, Nexus said:

The whole deal with iTunes is that I'm told a podcast's visibility and profile is directly related to the number of ratings/reviews. I don't know how true that is, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt! And seems like not a lot to ask...it costs nothing!

I'm working on something for non-Apple folks, though. But it might not be quite as free as leaving a review! (Hint: It may involve benefiting a charity.)

I'll donate money to a charity long before I get involved in the Apple ecosystem 2c

42 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Felix, are you able to calculate traffic on your podcasts?  Are the ones with superstar collectors like Dave Mandel and Albert Moy the more popular (A-list is gonna A-list :bigsmile:), more numerically listened to, or are the ones a little more off the beaten path getting as much patronage?

Scott

My host generates stats for each episode. I also would have assumed that the "big" names would garner the most interest, but nope! They may be of most interest to hardcore collectors like those of us here, but the listenership appears more broad. I don't think they make any distinction. For example, right now, the two most downloaded episodes are Daniel Warren Johnson/C2E2 roundtable and Scott Free! They're all within a range. I thought the Robert Kirkman episode might really break out. But nope, right about where all the others sit.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Another great podcast. 

With regards to holding back the episode till after the auction - I wonder if the final price would have been higher if the podcast was released earlier. With the idea being that any publicity is good publicity. Especially since the elektra cover itself was bought properly .

Thanks!

I didn't want to potentially affect interest/bidding, either way. So chose to play it safe.

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

I think the correct decision was made re: holding the podcast til after the auction. It could open the door for unintended consequences.

Right...better to let the auction play out as free from outside influence as possible.

Felix,

Have you thought about doing another audience panel podcast at one of the bigger cons, like C2EZ, SDCC or NYCC? You kind of did one at Heroes Con (I think, right?), but it might be interesting to get some more audience participation.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

My host generates stats for each episode. I also would have assumed that the "big" names would garner the most interest, but nope! They may be of most interest to hardcore collectors like those of us here, but the listenership appears more broad. I don't think they make any distinction. For example, right now, the two most downloaded episodes are Daniel Warren Johnson/C2E2 roundtable and Scott Free! They're all within a range. I thought the Robert Kirkman episode might really break out. But nope, right about where all the others sit.

the scott free one had a lot of good juicy stories in it.  my favorite of the bunch. 

Only 1/3 of the way through the latest but I'm struck with the obvious genius of how Felix explains the comic art is not an investment, because it's emotional. Asking Pitarra if he'd take 5x for his favorite Quitely and Pitarra answers "No". But if it was a stock... (Seemingly) there you go. And that got me to thinking...

One of the great criticisms that professional traders dismiss amateur traders with is that they trade on emotion. And this is true. That's why so many buy the tops and sell the bottoms. Cripes. That very action (truism) is how absolute tops and bottoms are formed, every last a-hole has to get onto one side (the momentum side) of the trade. The market has to literally run out of buyers (at the top) or sellers (at the bottom) before there can be a reversal of significance.

So what do we really have? Trading is emotional too for almost (98%?) everybody too. Human nature is emotion, no matter how much everybody wants to believe they are immune to it (sort of like how everybody's kid is the smartest 4th grader evuh!! reading already at a high school level!!!! lol ) Funny world. And when there are only buyers and no sellers or vice versa - in comic art - watch out!

On 12/8/2017 at 3:04 PM, delekkerste said:

Yep, I'm logged in now (just double-checked to make sure) and it is not working.  Have tried like 10x between yesterday and today and keep getting the same error message. :sorry: 

Just logged out and back in and tried the link on two different browsers...no dice.  :cry: 

Anyone else having problems accessing the bonus podcast?  Another friend is reporting having similar issues.  At this point, I've tried opening it on my phone, laptop and desktop, using two browsers (Microsoft Edge and Chrome), across 3 different networks (4G plus two different Wi-Fi networks), all while confirming that I'm logged into the correct (only, actually) account and making sure there are no settings in place that would prevent accessing it (and, in fact, I was able to access the infamous Albert Moy bonus podcast in the brief time it was available).  Also had Felix re-send the link, but that didn't work either.  Something buggy is going on, but I'm not sure what's causing it - just curious to see how many others are affected as well. 

On 12/8/2017 at 1:23 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Felix,

Have you thought about doing another audience panel podcast at one of the bigger cons, like C2EZ, SDCC or NYCC? You kind of did one at Heroes Con (I think, right?), but it might be interesting to get some more audience participation.

The Heroes Con panel wasn't my doing. I was invited by the moderator, and I brought along a couple of friends. It was fun! Haven't planned on organizing a panel myself , but might be something to think about for future shows. Have, however, been playing with the idea of having an "open mike" at my booth, and chatting with fellow collectors as they come up, and then compiling that into an episode. Any of those shows you list are well-attended enough by art collectors that it should be easy to do. Hope to see you at one of them!

On 12/8/2017 at 2:24 PM, eewwnuk said:

the scott free one had a lot of good juicy stories in it.  my favorite of the bunch. 

Thanks! Scott, along with Jim Halperin, were the two guys I was most excited to have on the show. Mostly because they were both such long shots. As it turns out, Scott's episode remains one of our most downloaded episodes, which is a complete surprise. He's full of crazy stories, so I do plan on having him on again down the road.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, vodou said:

Only 1/3 of the way through the latest but I'm struck with the obvious genius of how Felix explains the comic art is not an investment, because it's emotional. Asking Pitarra if he'd take 5x for his favorite Quitely and Pitarra answers "No".

Ha, thanks! But obviously, doesn't apply to everyone. There ARE those in the hobby who are primarily investors/speculators, and would happily sell at 2X. I'm really referring to collectors, like the ones who have been on the show. At this point, I don't think any of them are really thinking about investment anymore (if they ever did).

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Anyone else having problems accessing the bonus podcast?  Another friend is reporting having similar issues.  At this point, I've tried opening it on my phone, laptop and desktop, using two browsers (Microsoft Edge and Chrome), across 3 different networks (4G plus two different Wi-Fi networks), all while confirming that I'm logged into the correct (only, actually) account and making sure there are no settings in place that would prevent accessing it (and, in fact, I was able to access the infamous Albert Moy bonus podcast in the brief time it was available).  Also had Felix re-send the link, but that didn't work either.  Something buggy is going on, but I'm not sure what's causing it - just curious to see how many others are affected as well. 

Sorry, Gene! I did try (the second link I sent was to a new uploaded file...was hoping that would be a workaround). So far, you're the only one who's continuing to report having this issue. Have your friend write me, too, if it's still a problem for him as well.

I'll figure something out for you guys.