• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Ha, thanks! But obviously, doesn't apply to everyone. There ARE those in the hobby who are primarily investors/speculators, and would happily sell at 2X. I'm really referring to collectors, like the ones who have been on the show. At this point, I don't think any of them are really thinking about investment anymore (if they ever did).

But I think that's common for most collectors.

Ask them to sell, no matter the price, their favorite page in their collection?  it's a tough sell.  But what about if Nick was offered 5x FMV for his 14th favorite Quitely page?  he may at least think about it.  Esp if it could fund something that would become higher up on the food chain of the collection.

2 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Ask them to sell, no matter the price, their favorite page in their collection?  it's a tough sell.  But what about if Nick was offered 5x FMV for his 14th favorite Quitely page?  he may at least think about it.  Esp if it could fund something that would become higher up on the food chain of the collection.

Sure, if Nick gets an unsolicited 5X FMV offer for his 14th favorite Quitely, then he could very well sell it. He probably SHOULD sell it. But the point being, he didn't buy that Quitely with the idea or hope of selling it for profit. He didn't originally acquire it as an "investment".

Finished up the podcast this morning.

First off I think Andy might be my favorite collector guest. Second does DWJ realize what a beast he is? He comes off as ridiculously humble. Finally kudos to Nick for bringing up the heritage podcast. For myself as well what I heard in it was very concerning and I think it should be talked about more so people realize the full scope of what goes on.

17 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Second does DWJ realize what a beast he is? He comes off as ridiculously humble.

I thought the same thing.  I think it's really refreshing, compared with some of the other artists out there who are (deservedly) very aware of and vocal about how talented they are.  Really makes me appreciate the guy even more. 

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Sorry, Gene! I did try (the second link I sent was to a new uploaded file...was hoping that would be a workaround). So far, you're the only one who's continuing to report having this issue. Have your friend write me, too, if it's still a problem for him as well.

I'll figure something out for you guys.

Mystery solved...apparently I have a "creator" account and an "individual" account on YouTube that use the same e-mail address.  The link works on the latter, but not the former, and, when I log in using the one (only) e-mail address, it was defaulting to the former.  

All good now.  :) 

On 12/7/2017 at 12:35 PM, stinkininkin said:

Another fun listen Felix.  While not relevant to the more important stuff about what to do with deals that involve stolen art, I'm wondering if the now completed sale of the Electra Saga cover make everyone involved feel whole again?  Have you talked to Dave or Andy since the auction as an addendum?  And while not meaning to stir anything up, I thought the price realized on the Electra was a little light (28k), and I wonder if there's any second guessing going on from that angle.

Keep those pod casts coming!

Scott

Hey Scott -

It's my once-quarterly CGC post (for some reason, this board has just never ended up in my daily art comings and goings)...

Other than the some stray, unavoidable, woulda-coulda-shoulda thoughts, I have no second guessing on the sale.  I am happy the piece ended up with a person who loves it, and congratulated Jeff as soon as I found out.  It lived in the back of a closet for 15 years, and now the last chapter of the story has been written and it can come out and see the sun (through UV blocking museum glass, of course).  Any desire to have made more on the sale is 95% within the context of wanting Dave to have made more, with the remaining 5% to rear its head about the time another Kirby Lord of Light piece hits the market.  

andy

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

Have, however, been playing with the idea of having an "open mike" at my booth, and chatting with fellow collectors as they come up, and then compiling that into an episode. Any of those shows you list are well-attended enough by art collectors that it should be easy to do. Hope to see you at one of them!

This would be cool. Just make sure they identify themselves by name, not because it's a big deal really (folks could lie of course!) but because those of us that don't get to cons would enjoy hearing all the shout outs of people we know online but not by voice or speaking-cadence (for lack of better way of putting it...)

1 hour ago, rocket1312 said:

So for the record, can someone clarify just what is the correct pronunciation of Mazzuchelli? :nyah:

My Italian is a little rusty but I would expect it to be MA-zoo-Kelli

Edited by Bronty

5 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Agreed, I'm just saying that the lack of investment angle is a lot easier to be cut and dry when it's your favorite thing in your collection.

Vs talking about the "b" list stuff that you may enjoy but not as emotionally tied to.

Fwiw, Nick I'd 1 man wrecking crew and I think has moved the needle (along with a handful of others) a lot on quitely art on the last few years.

Finished the newest podcast - interesting discussion. Felt bad for Mr Robbins as the gang ribbed him a bit, but it sounded all in good fun. Interesting to hear a little bit of Nick talking more about his Quietly bromance, and I also gotta agree with the group's advice to DWJ - make a move on that grail page, even if it is only to start a conversation. Another good listen on an otherwise mostly quiet work day.

23 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Finished up the podcast this morning.

First off I think Andy might be my favorite collector guest. Second does DWJ realize what a beast he is? He comes off as ridiculously humble. Finally kudos to Nick for bringing up the heritage podcast. For myself as well what I heard in it was very concerning and I think it should be talked about more so people realize the full scope of what goes on.

Andy is a natural. I'll keep having him on every chance we get.

DWJ is a genuinely nice person. I'm glad it comes through on the podcast. Also why it was shocking that such a gentle, soft-spoken person can produce such violent imagery in his comics!

Nick speaks his mind. Always. Another natural for the podcast.

23 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

fwitw, I think dwj should chase his grail. 

I haven't hear from anyone yet who hasn't said the same thing. But I suppose some lessons need to be learned firsthand. Including what it feels like to lose a grail...and what is or isn't a grail in the first place.

23 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

I thought the same thing.  I think it's really refreshing, compared with some of the other artists out there who are (deservedly) very aware of and vocal about how talented they are.  Really makes me appreciate the guy even more. 

I'm glad to hear this. Because it does seem that, in the age of social media, having an outsized personality pays, and being relatively quiet will only cause you to be overlooked. I can think of a few artists out there who wouldn't be as popular as they are without social media. Whose actual talent is not commensurate with their popularity. Then again, they're using that platform to their best advantage...and it's hard to fault them for that, too.

20 hours ago, vodou said:

This would be cool. Just make sure they identify themselves by name, not because it's a big deal really (folks could lie of course!) but because those of us that don't get to cons would enjoy hearing all the shout outs of people we know online but not by voice or speaking-cadence (for lack of better way of putting it...)

No worries, of course would have everyone identify themselves. I agree it's fun to hear from people we know from years of online interactions, but have never heard speak. I'm sure Gene's episode was of most interest to boardies, for that reason.

23 hours ago, J.Sid said:

I want to hear more from Nick Pitarra. Loved how blunt/direct he was.   

3 minutes ago, Nexus said:

You will! (thumbsu

Speaking of this... Felix, did I hear write in the intro to that podcast, that Nick was one of the artists that you'd have new pages for 'coming in 2018'? What is Nick working on right now, I'm not a huge social media hound so I may have missed some news somewhere. I know you've hinted a number of times that Manhattan Projects is not a dead series, but I haven't heard anything about what Nick is working on for months now so I'm curious!