• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Agreed, I'm just saying that the lack of investment angle is a lot easier to be cut and dry when it's your favorite thing in your collection.

Vs talking about the "b" list stuff that you may enjoy but not as emotionally tied to.

OK, but not sure you're seeing my point: Nick is not buying even the "B" stuff for investment.

When I'm talking about investment, as it relates to this hobby, I mean the pieces that people buy with the express purpose of reselling for a profit. For some, that's every piece they buy. So their "favorite" piece is only a favorite up to the point they can find someone to pay 2X. Therefore, the scenario I played out with Nick, about why comic art shouldn't be considered an investment for someone like him, doesn't apply to everyone. Some will understand, some won't.

5 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Speaking of this... Felix, did I hear write in the intro to that podcast, that Nick was one of the artists that you'd have new pages for 'coming in 2018'? What is Nick working on right now, I'm not a huge social media hound so I may have missed some news somewhere. I know you've hinted a number of times that Manhattan Projects is not a dead series, but I haven't heard anything about what Nick is working on for months now so I'm curious!

I can't share certain things I've been told, but no, THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS is not a dead series. But it's also not Nick's next immediate 2018 project. That's going to be announced at Image Expo in a couple of months. I've seen some preview art...it's going to be fun!(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

...and what is or isn't a grail in the first place.

There is that too. Not every grail on paper is a grail the day* after acquiring. And what damage have you wrought to your finances and personal relationships in the process?

*Sadly sometimes even before the wrapping paper is tossed!

25 minutes ago, vodou said:

There is that too. Not every grail on paper is a grail the day* after acquiring. And what damage have you wrought to your finances and personal relationships in the process?

*Sadly sometimes even before the wrapping paper is tossed!

Well that's true.   Sometimes pieces disappoint in person.

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I am lucky, then, that virtually every piece of art I've acquired via the mail has met or exceeded my expectations in person. But, I think that's because I do the vast majority of my art shopping on my smart phone. :grin:

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

DWJ is a genuinely nice person. I'm glad it comes through on the podcast. Also why it was shocking that such a gentle, soft-spoken person can produce such violent imagery in his comics!

Well, you know what they say - it's always the quiet ones you should worry about. :eek: :whistle:

18 hours ago, Nexus said:

OK, but not sure you're seeing my point: Nick is not buying even the "B" stuff for investment.

When I'm talking about investment, as it relates to this hobby, I mean the pieces that people buy with the express purpose of reselling for a profit. For some, that's every piece they buy. So their "favorite" piece is only a favorite up to the point they can find someone to pay 2X. Therefore, the scenario I played out with Nick, about why comic art shouldn't be considered an investment for someone like him, doesn't apply to everyone. Some will understand, some won't.

Snarky comments aside, I now understand what you're saying.  And we're just talking about 2 different things.

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Snarky comments aside, I now understand what you're saying.  And we're just talking about 2 different things.

No snark intended! And not directed at anyone in particular, either. Just trying to clarify.

19 hours ago, Bronty said:

This has happened to me before. You think you have an idea of what the piece would look like, based on the published image...but when you finally see it, the actual original art ends up disappointing.

Much prefer the opposite!

On a totally separate note...I attended the North Bay Fire Relief fundraiser this past Saturday at the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa. It's fantastic, a must-see for anyone who visits the San Francisco Bay Area. It's a smaller version of the institutions dedicated to Herge and Miyazaki/Ghibli, but it has just as many, if not more, originals as either of those. The exhibits rotate, depending on theme. So if you ever wanted to see where all those PEANUTS strips from Heritage end up, this is the place.

Some pics I posted to social media:

image.thumb.png.7b999d1ac7a986ebd5e523de684d50f9.pngimage.thumb.png.897324312ffcee147f1375b69e17ddc3.pngimage.thumb.png.4b0888113675bd61a629f3260a0654de.pngimage.thumb.png.a265d2d7f52da15d6b995d2c06c1aeb0.pngimage.thumb.png.4de77728b73358010e73f1e1d82870fc.pngimage.thumb.png.8c517fc7ccd85a94ad1bd6e0c4b31334.pngimage.thumb.png.1051e3e18a7449029cca0582b483a391.pngimage.png.558110d96497f538d3b59a6b3c6869c8.png

image.png

That's a great (and unfortunately rare) example of what a museum containing comic book OA ought to look like.

C'mon, guys, if you have bunch of $50k+ pieces of original art you're going to show off to the public, the least you can do is pay for custom frame jobs. Yes, I'm talking about the recent Romita NY show (among others.)

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

THanks for the pictures Felix!   That looks awesome!   I have to go there one day!  :cloud9:

Yes. That is cool and great to see. I wonder how the backers (whoever, whatever) are swinging (no pun) non-profit (and nice!!) in SF of all places. That's some of the most expensive RE in America!

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

Yes. That is cool and great to see. I wonder how the backers (whoever, whatever) are swinging (no pun) non-profit (and nice!!) in SF of all places. That's some of the most expensive RE in America!

Well, royalties?    We still see snoopy on the blimps at game time sometimes, right?   There must be an ongoing income stream from the rights to the Peanuts properties.    Reprint volumes, replays of the old cartoons, the new movie, toys, etc.

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well, royalties?    We still see snoopy on the blimps at game time sometimes, right?   There must be an ongoing income stream from the rights to the Peanuts properties.

My mistake. I was confusing this with the other, forgot name, comic art museuam/society/whatever in SF that's not Schulz-dedicated. (The one that had the Sandman exhibit some years back.) Yes, of course there is no bottom (relatively speaking) to the sack of gold coins that is the Shulz/Peanuts Estate.

21 minutes ago, vodou said:

My mistake. I was confusing this with the other, forgot name, comic art museuam/society/whatever in SF that's not Schulz-dedicated. (The one that had the Sandman exhibit some years back.) Yes, of course there is no bottom (relatively speaking) to the sack of gold coins that is the Shulz/Peanuts Estate.

The Cartoon Art Museum?

Thanks for the pics, Felix. I've been to the Schulz Museum once before I was a collector. Another trip, this time as a collector, is over due. And man did I worry about the Museum during the fires. 

I always wondered if the folks at Schulz would ever lend a hand in identifying fakes? What's your feeling? If anything, collectors in the Market for Peanuts originals should make a trip just to get a sense what an original is like. 

It's a cool place to visit even if you're not an OA collector.