• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,647 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, RabidFerret said:

I was simply mentioning the level of raised awareness that comes from high priced art being brought up consistently in discussions, and the likely effect that has on people new to the hobby.

Yes...and no.

A collector came up to me at NYCC and showed me a Miller DKR piece he had just acquired. He said that after listening to it mentioned so many times on the podcast, he felt like he needed to have one!

OTOH...a friend asked why I was encouraging Kyle K. and his generation to start chasing DKR, as it would only make things more difficult to us. My answer is I wasn't. And it wouldn't really matter. We all like what we like. I'm no more going to convince him to buy DKR, than he's going to convince me to buy Capullo Batman.

So maybe someone who was already a fan might get nudged. But I don't think anyone who doesn't truly "love" the material will be taking that plunge.

17 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I'm no more going to convince him to buy DKR, than he's going to convince me to buy Capullo Batman.

So...you're suggesting a trade then...samberg.gif.cd28aad331655ab7fdce304a73cd71c8.gif

If my earnings and inclination were different, I'd be more than happy to buy a cover by an artist I liked even if I haven't read the book.  Look at some of the older collections on CAF, like Jim Reid's  - you think he's read every comic he's got a piece from?  I bet he bought the piece for the love of the artist, character, or both.  Consider variant covers sell all the time based on the artist, not exactly the book itself (although that could be the drive for some). 

I am a DWJ fan and at this point I'll pick up anything he does, and I bought an Extremity cover ahead of reading the issue based on the image and the series in general.  I'd buy like that again, but would ideally prefer to buy from what I've read (past tense), especially due to the lack of word balloons on modern art, but also to marry my understanding of the content with words.  It's all Felix's fault for being too efficient and getting art for sale quicker than I get to the comic shop!

@Nexus The fan perspective makes sense. I think that may get lost on some, including myself, as you’re the most identifiable moderator of investment/cost discussion opposed to readership (IIRC, you don’t read the big two).

It’s clear you’re [super] anti- comic art as investment on Twitter and podcast. When something like that is written, I’m betting there’s still a small chunk of people who take that as a “tip”, given your proximity to the “market” and buy accordingly.

But again, as a rep I think that’s to be expected and even encouraged when done honestly and out of genuine excitement (like you are.) 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If I recall, Glen Gold said that in his opinion, the Doc Oc vs Spidey page was one of the 6 best Ditko Spidey fight pages. It got about $100k? That's well under the best prices for the top TDKR pages.

First, that page sold for $136K, which is probably more than any non-splash DKR page (certainly more than any non-splash public DKR sale to date). 

Second, it may be one of Glen's 6 best Spidey fight pages, but, his criteria isn't necessarily market value.  When the #33 issue was floated as being potentially broken up (in the end, it wasn't), the valuation of the iconic "lifting machinery" pages was mooted to be far higher (numbers that started with "2" and "3").  When people talk about what the best pages from the earliest issues known to exist might fetch, I hear numbers that also start with "2", "3" and even "4" - far more than what that page fetched.  That page is probably closer to top 60 than top 6 in terms of Ditko ASM market value.  

Third, and this is somewhat of a tangent, but, I do not consider pages like that Doc Ock page to be "A+" pages.  If that's an A+ page, then what are iconic pages like the machinery pages from #33?  A+++?  For me, "A+" is bandied about almost as casually as the term "grail" in the hobby.  For me, true A+ pages should have some importance/significance to them beyond just excellent composition and rendering.  I mean, OK, I'm sure there are pages that are just so exquisitely drawn that you'd have to designate them as being "A+" quality just on aesthetics alone.  But, I think those pages are far, far, far, far fewer than people think.  2c   

Anyway, the bottom line is that comparably tiered Ditko ASM vs. Miller DKR...Ditko ASM blows DKR out of the water by a wide margin.  

Edited by delekkerste

6 hours ago, Skizz said:

Again, whilst I agree that DKR will always remain higher that Court of Owls as a story, I do feel that overall the price disparity for the art between the two will lessen in the decades to come. 

I think that's possible, but, if I was a betting man (and I am), I would take the other side of that bet.  My feeling is that we are living in a Golden Age of Comic Art Collecting and that, when the generation that grew up post-Marvel bankruptcy/in the Internet era become the driving force in the hobby, having had their interests splintered in an infinite number of directions compared to the generations that preceded them, likely being less financially well-off and inheriting a market that the Gen Xers have inflated to steroidal levels, you're going to see some of that "hollowing out" effect that some have mentioned.  A LOT of things will fall by the wayside in this scenario, and it will largely be the most important & memorable material with the widest appeal that retains its value (and maybe the really cheap stuff).  IF that happens, I can easily see the price disparity between DKR and Court of Owls actually widening

I'm not saying that this is going to happen for sure by any means, but, I think there is at least a 1 in 3 chance that it will - not something you can just dismiss out of hand. 2c 

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

+1.

Moore either chose his collaborators well, or he got really, really lucky. Gibbons was the perfect partner for WM. Also, I wouldn't point to the market value of his art to mean anything about his art. Let's be honest...fanboys can be guilty of some pretty questionable taste, especially when you add nostalgia into the mix (and I'll include myself there, as well).

I've often compared WM to CITIZEN KANE. A surface viewing of CK would be that it's a thinly-viewed biopic of William Randolph Hearst (similar to how some see WM as just a glorified superhero story). But dig a little deeper...and wow. CK is a work of absolute genius. Not everyone will appreciate that, it may still put many to sleep. But there is no denying Welles was an auteur and CK a masterpiece. Watch it with commentary. Similarly, check out any of the sites that annotate WM. There's a new book that's out, WATCHMEN ANNOTATED, which I haven't gotten yet, but I'm sure would demonstrate what makes WM an all-timer, and unlikely to ever be matched again.

Also re: "gravitas"...that sounds ridiculous, but I believe it. Not that buying DKR necessarily adds gravitas, but I suspect there are collectors who add certain pieces to their collection in a bid for respectability amongst their peers. Particularly BSDs.

Lastly...we've debated the point before, but I'll contend that WM was never inexpensive. At least not here in the US. It may have been cheap when it was first sold out of Comics Showcase in London, but once it got to the US, it was getting marked up quite a bit. One long-time collector recalled to me how he paid Scott Dunbier $1K for a page back in 1991. To put that into context, he could have gotten a Wrightson Frankenstein plate for the same amount.

Many talented artists never get 'hot' - some of it seems to be luck, some of it probably has a lot to do with the projects they have an interest in doing... and those they may pass on. I doubt anyone here is prepared to argue that, all things being equal, drawing Batman can be a huge boost to an artists career.

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

Thanks for the plug, Nelson!(thumbsu

And you ain't kidding. Tradd did an issue of SUICIDE SQUAD for DC in 2016. It's been in publishing limbo ever since. He decided to sell the art, since there was no discernible movement with it seeing print.

So...the art is unpublished. No one's even seen it. No one knew who the writer was. That's a lot going against it.

We still sold out every single page. For the same prices that we would have asked if it was published. You can see the art here:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?Details=1&ArtistId=587&Mag=SUICIDE+SQUAD

Anyway...voudou is right. For many collectors, they don't need to have read the comic before buying the art. More on that in a sec...

I would buy Tradd's notebook doodles from 8th grade study hall. Some of his pages are literally mesmerizing in person. My only regret is I had to pick most of the ones I have up on the secondary market.

Edited by SquareChaos

5 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

If my earnings and inclination were different, I'd be more than happy to buy a cover by an artist I liked even if I haven't read the book.  Look at some of the older collections on CAF, like Jim Reid's  - you think he's read every comic he's got a piece from?  I bet he bought the piece for the love of the artist, character, or both.  Consider variant covers sell all the time based on the artist, not exactly the book itself (although that could be the drive for some). 

I am a DWJ fan and at this point I'll pick up anything he does, and I bought an Extremity cover ahead of reading the issue based on the image and the series in general.  I'd buy like that again, but would ideally prefer to buy from what I've read (past tense), especially due to the lack of word balloons on modern art, but also to marry my understanding of the content with words.  It's all Felix's fault for being too efficient and getting art for sale quicker than I get to the comic shop!

Good one. Jim has a discerning eye, for sure.  He views the art through a very different lens than the average collector. For one, it's almost entirely free of nostalgia. I hope to have him on again.

4 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

@Nexus The fan perspective makes sense. I think that may get lost on some, including myself, as you’re the most identifiable moderator of investment/cost discussion opposed to readership (IIRC, you don’t read the big two).

It’s clear you’re [super] anti- comic art as investment on Twitter and podcast. When something like that is written, I’m betting there’s still a small chunk of people who take that as a “tip”, given your proximity to the “market” and buy accordingly.

But again, as a rep I think that’s to be expected and even encouraged when done honestly and out of genuine excitement (like you are.) 

I'm not anti-investment, per se. I'm more anti-investment mentality.

So yes, I hype the art. I want it to sell. But I don't want anyone to buy for speculation or as investment. Please tell your friend that if he buys art from me, to buy it for what it is (an original from a talented artist) and not for what it was never meant to be (an investment).

Also, neglected to mention, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Anyway, the bottom line is that comparably tiered Ditko ASM vs. Miller DKR...Ditko ASM blows DKR out of the water by a wide margin.  

Not by the time I'm done!!:insane::jokealert:

In the past few years, we've seen what the "best" DKR art sells for...mid six-figures. A decent Ditko ASM cover, not even in the "best" category, is virtually a guaranteed $1M these days. Wait until one of those hits auction.

14 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Please tell your friend that if he buys art from me, to buy it for what it is (an original from a talented artist) and not for what it was never meant to be (an investment).

Why not tell his friend yourself in your fan newsletter?

1 minute ago, The Shoveler said:

Why not tell his friend yourself in your fan newsletter?

I don't know his friend. Kyle does. He can pass along the message directly.

As for everyone else, I've said it enough times on the podcast, and on Twitter, et al, that if it hasn't already sunk in, it probably never will.

23 minutes ago, Nexus said:

As for everyone else, I've said it enough times on the podcast, and on Twitter, et al, that if it hasn't already sunk in, it probably never will.

That's the kind of message that's easy to get lost when you send marketing mails that speculatively connect your products directly to Frank Miller, Year One, Born Again and Mike Golden. 

1 minute ago, The Shoveler said:

That's the kind of message that's easy to get lost when you send marketing mails that speculatively connect your products directly to Frank Miller, Year One, Born Again and Mike Golden. 

Like I just said earlier, people hear what they want to hear. They'll believe what they want to believe.

If I'm making a connection to Frank Miller, BORN AGAIN, YEAR ONE, Michael Golden, etc., I'm making a connection based on quality. On talent. On potentially introducing the reader to some excellent art they might not have noticed otherwise.

If some make the immediate leap to $$$...that's on them. If you read my newsletters and your first thought is "cha-ching!", then that's on you. I don't believe that's the majority of collectors who buy from me. I believe I've presented some pretty compelling evidence supporting that today, which so far,  has gone undisputed.

I know investment/speculation/$$$ is a favorite topic for a significant percentage of collectors here. That's never been me. And I've been here for over 12 years.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

If I'm making a connection to Frank Miller, BORN AGAIN, YEAR ONE, Michael Golden, etc., I'm making a connection based on quality. On talent. On potentially introducing the reader to some excellent art they might not have noticed otherwise.

In that extract posted earlier, I'm not catching that distinction.  I do see a lot of "may be"s, "should be"s, "destined to"s and "will be"s:

9 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:
  • Daniel has set himself on the path of becoming a complete comics creator, writing and drawing his own stories. As anyone who has read EXTREMITY can attest, he is excelling at both. The next Frank Miller may actually have nothing to do with Batman comics.
  • And yes, Tradd's amazing art from the landmark VENOM #150 is headlining the show. VENOM #150 may go down as this generation's DOCTOR STRANGE #55, an artist's showcase and calling card for Tradd the way it was for Michael Golden. That's right, I'm saying Tradd may be a gamechanger like Michael Golden!
  • So long as Thanos remains a fan-favorite villain, “Thanos Wins” is destined to live on as an evergreen trade when this six-issue event is completed. It should be to Thanos what “Year One” is to Batman and “Born Again” is to Daredevil.
  • THOR #701 may very well represent peak Harren (to date). James is already hugely influential amongst his peers, and this issue only further establishes his status as a generational talent. THOR #701 will be studied for years to come.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Like I just said earlier, people hear what they want to hear. They'll believe what they want to believe.

Sometimes they'll hear exactly what you say and believe exactly what you say, exactly as you present it to them.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

If some make the immediate leap to $$$...that's on them.

And when you promote somebody as the next Frank Miller and hype their latest project as being analogous to Miller's most lucrative high-water marks, then you build the cliff and announce how fabulous it would be to take a leap.

Edited by The Shoveler
"to" take a leap.

21 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I hope you understand that this comment applies to you as well?

You may 'want to believe' that you're not advocating speculation, that your actions are altruistic and your intentions honorable, but it's still possible that your actions paint a different picture you are not seeing or understanding.

21 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I believe I've presented some pretty compelling evidence supporting that today

I believe the compelling evidence of the day was provided by Kyle, with valid examples given of times art sales were pushed in a speculative fashion.

3 minutes ago, The Shoveler said:

In that extract posted earlier, I'm not catching that distinction.  I do see a lot of "may be"s, "should be"s, "destined to"s and "will be"s:

What distinction? If I said Tradd Moore may be a gamechanger like Michael Golden, I mean that in terms of his talent, the quality of his art, and oh hey, if you've never heard of Tradd Moore, maybe you've heard of Michael Golden. Anything else you think you read, is on you.

5 minutes ago, The Shoveler said:

Sometimes they'll hear exactly what you say and believe exactly what you say, exactly as you present it to them.

Then what exactly am I saying? What am I presenting? You'll have to show me where I've said anything about future value.

5 minutes ago, The Shoveler said:

And when you promote somebody as the next Frank Miller and hype their latest project as being analogous to Miller's most lucrative high-water marks, then you build the cliff and announce how fabulous it would be take a leap.

"Lucrative high-water mark" is what you inferred. Again, that's you. My inference is creative high water mark.

In any case, Miller's "lucrative high-water mark" wouldn't be BORN AGAIN or YEAR ONE. It'd be DKR. And I've already said I'm, at best, agnostic about future prospects in terms of "investment". As a comic, though? It will remain great, regardless of what happens to the art's value. I'm keeping my Miller DKR art, regardless of what happens to its value. If there's a cliff, I've been warning people away from it. I believe most understand that. That some are so enamored with $$$, and can't see this hobby for anything more than that...again, that's on them. And you.

Given how much Felix does for the hobby, and how clear he’s been about not treating comic art as an investment — to the point where it’s actually ruffled feathers with another artist trying to capitalize on that angle — I don’t believe he’s being duplicitous here. I raised it as a question and not an accusation, and I apologize if it came off as the latter. While Felix does have motive to speculate simply because he’s a rep, he routinely preaches the opposing viewpoint. The fan perspective rationalizes the perceived misalignment, at least for me. 

10 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I believe most understand that. That some are so enamored with $$$, and can't see this hobby for anything more than that...again, that's on them. And you.

And me?  Prove it or your completely full of "spoon".

Edited by The Shoveler
spoon